Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Glasgow. Sorry I mean Corby

Post by PaulSmith » 10 Oct 2020, 18:49

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:37
PaulSmith wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:23
Evening all,

A long coach trip ahead of me, and I see and feel your frustrations. I’m on line for the next half an hour to answer your questions? So ask away??
Absolute respect to you. I'm the teams biggest critic, possibly. I have high expectations, probably unjustifiably so. But I'll never hide, so here goes...

I'm not sure whether I can ask anything specifically about today? We went 3-0 up, so you got line ups and tactics spot on? Is there anything you drastically changed at half time, that contributed to the final result? Would you have changed anything? In hindsight, taking Holmes off was a game changer, but at the time, it made sense. It seemed a lack of taking chances and poor defending cost us...

Also, there's not something quite right with this squad, I can't put my finger on it. But, we would never have thrown away a 3 goal lead last season. It's not us.

How brutal can you be with players who aren't preforming?

Hello Josh,

You are right, you are the teams biggest critic, you tell me regularly in your drunken stupor after every game. I admire that though. because you come and talk to me, I just wish you remembered our conversations! Joking apart....
I thought losing Josh Hawker was the game changer. He was fantastic for 42 minutes. I also think we didn’t take enough chances. First half could and should have been five, then two great chances in the first ten minutes of the second half.
Agreed we didn’t defend well enough in the last 40 minutes but the game should have been out of sight before that.
Regarding something not quite right.... as I’ve eluded to earlier, the only thing wrong with the squad is injuries. It’s easy when things are not going well to look for excuses. Nothing at all wrong with the squad.

PaulSmith
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by PaulSmith » 10 Oct 2020, 18:53

fairweatherfan wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:39
PaulSmith wrote:
Evening all,

A long coach trip ahead of me, and I see and feel your frustrations. I’m on line for the next half an hour to answer your questions? So ask away??
Hi Paul- as said above, very good of you to take the time to do this. What’s the prognosis of the injured players? Can we expect any of them back for Tuesday, Saturday, or the next league game whenever that may be (Tuesday dependent)?
It’s a pleasure.

Bren Bunn suspended two games left, Robbie still poorly Tuesday will come to soon. James Bowen hamstring 50/50 for Tuesday. Rob Evans, hamstring at least a week away. Rich Gregory 3 to 4 weeks away. Now Josh Hawker too early to say.

PaulSmith
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by PaulSmith » 10 Oct 2020, 18:57

piearce9 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:48
PaulSmith wrote:
Evening all,

Top man, Paul. What do you think is causing the inconsistency in performances? One game we look invincible, the next we look vulnerable. Today sounds like we had one half of each.
Hello Pierce,

Now this one is a tough one to answer. It’s tricky to put a finger on our inconsistencies at the moment. A number of factors can be took into consideration though, oppositions performances, injuries, and pitches would be the first three.
None of the players go into a game thinking they are going to play badly, at time’s though it’s key to remember that we won’t always steam roller sides. They want to win games too, and some deserve credit for nullifying us.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 10 Oct 2020, 19:01

Paul
This also seems an appropriate time to say thank you. What You and Karen and Keith have given this club is immeasurable. To come on here, hurting, after losing a big game and voluntarily asking for questions shows a far bigger man than I could be. I would love you to come on here after big wins as well and say " how about that then?" In reality we all know this is beyond our wildest dreams after what we've been through!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 10 Oct 2020, 19:02

Good evening Mr Smith,
Thanks for taking the time to take questions, just to say good luck to yourself and your backroom staff and the players for the rest of the season.
If you need a under, just, 50 year old midfielder I'm in the Edward public house before the games.
Yours hopefully
Thanks ;D

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 10 Oct 2020, 19:06

Thought we could and possibly should have been 4 or even 5 up before they missed the pen. We also could have scored to make it 4-4
One of those very rare days. Hawker big miss when he went off. But 3 up really should see the game out. Hewitt brilliantly marked their best player out tge game first half. Then he scores their first 2. On we go to Cambridge and sure the players and boss will have learnt plenty from today hopefully

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 10 Oct 2020, 19:17

Good evening Paul,

This result must be tough to take for the players, with games coming thick and fast at present and the injury situation you have alluded to, how do you turn a negative today into positivity within the squad for the challenge Tuesday will bring, in such a short time period?

PaulSmith
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by PaulSmith » 10 Oct 2020, 19:21

Seamus wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 19:17
Good evening Paul,

This result must be tough to take for the players, with games coming thick and fast at present and the injury situation you have alluded to, how do you turn a negative today into positivity within the squad for the challenge Tuesday will bring, in such a short time period?
Hello Seamus,

Looking back up the coach, seeing and feeling the atmosphere, I would hope I won’t need to work too hard to pick them up.
They know full well that they shouldn’t have lost today. They will be back at it ready to put today right on Tuesday, of that I’m sure.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 10 Oct 2020, 19:22

HalesowenHarry wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 19:06
Thought we could and possibly should have been 4 or even 5 up before they missed the pen. We also could have scored to make it 4-4
One of those very rare days. Hawker big miss when he went off. But 3 up really should see the game out. Hewitt brilliantly marked their best player out tge game first half. Then he scores their first 2. On we go to Cambridge and sure the players and boss will have learnt plenty from today hopefully
You were there, I wasn't. Reading that I'm going to take a positive. It was a one off. I just wish it wasn't against one of our rivals. Onwards!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

PaulSmith
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by PaulSmith » 10 Oct 2020, 19:24

Nearly back to the club now.
Thanks for those that have asked questions, I’m sorry I didn’t have time to answer them all.
I never go overboard with a win or a defeat. Games coming thick and fast. Time to dust ourselves down and move on to Tuesday.
It’s a marathon not a sprint.
Keep believing.

Yours in football Paul