drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: North Leigh Updates

Post by drummyb » 06 Oct 2020, 22:02

andy wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 21:28
drummyb wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 21:25
Outstanding. Particulary second half after Holmes came on. Luke Yates made some great runs. I wouldnt have predicted that after the first half but all credit to them. Thats how we CAN play. Buzzing. Well done Paul Smith.
TBH I could see it coming at half time. They weren't a bad side at all but if we run at ANY team like that they will cave in. The pace throughout the side was frightening at times. Full credit to North Leigh for keeping on trying to play football in the right way even under that onslaught. Really enjoyed it.
Really?? I thought we struggled to break them down at times and first half they had several decent chances. I bow down to your foresight, you old soothsayer you.
I thought the social distancing worked well too. The Shed was still noisy but a lot of younger kids on the Rec ground side. I did see Police Spotters in the ground so the club is managing this situation well imho.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 06 Oct 2020, 22:14

Good performance that was perhaps helped on its way by some hapless defending at times. The poor GK didn’t save very much and lined up his wall so badly for the free kick that Jack virtually passed it into the bottom corner.

Manning was the standout player for me tonight and, seeing as there wasn’t too much defending to be done, I thought Yates did well in an unfamiliar wing back position.

The award for “WTF moment of the season” also came tonight when the game was suddenly stopped due to a hooded intruder marauding around the pitch. I mentioned this on twitter as well but fair play to the various stewards who whisked him away into the night. The guy was not right at all and whilst bizarre it was a little bit hairy if truth be told.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 06 Oct 2020, 22:15

I've been critical of the team after a couple of games this season, especially after the Barton draw, but the reason I've been critical is because I know how well we are capable of playing. That second half performance was sensational.

There's not one team in this league that can compete with us, when we play like that. I'd also suggest there's a number of sides, in the league above, that would have struggled to keep the score respectable.

Yates, Cobourne, Holmes and Molly are frightening offensively. They create chances galore. I feel Molly's contributions are going unnoticed, slightly, in the shadow of Holmes and Cobourne's form. But, he offers something different, and his performances have impressed me this season.

I'm a massive Bowen fan, but I can't see how he'd get into the side at the moment, with the impressive Manning playing so well. Manning probably gets my vote for man of the match, but I could easily award that to Ali, Yates or even Holmes. Another lovely finish, for his goal, too.

I was pleased with the starting XI. We finally saw players playing in positions they're comfortable with. In particular Ali and Forsyth in a more advanced midfield role, with a natural centre half, Parsons, back in defence. I believe the performance rewarded us for playing square pegs, in square holes. It was good to see.

We played well enough in the first half, but we lacked the clinical edge we later showed in the second half, and should've gone in 1-1, after gifting North Leigh a sitter, just before half time, through sloppy defending. This is my only moan of the evening, a combination of wasting a lot of good chances, and switching off defensively, could have meant going into half time with the scoreline unfairly reflecting how we had played. It's an issue that has plagued us already this season, and is something we need to improve upon. But, I guess that's being very critical, in what was otherwise a very good all round performance.

Finally, a quick note to thank the club for how they have handled the ridiculous COVID regulations. It was great to see Karen, Dom and Karen's partner, walking around the ground, and asking fans for drinks, to comply with the 'table service' regulations. That's some top effort, and no doubt, a thankless task, that a lot of non-league clubs wouldn't bother with (see Hednesford).

Also, the way the social distancing was handled in the Shed, was well done too. I'm frustrated at how ridiculous football is now, in these weird times, but the club have done as well as they can, given the bad hand they've been dealt with.

Ps. Wantage won tonight. Could they be potential promotion rivals?
Last edited by AwayDayYeltz on 06 Oct 2020, 22:25, edited 3 times in total.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 06 Oct 2020, 22:23

drummyb wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 22:02
andy wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 21:28
drummyb wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 21:25
Outstanding. Particulary second half after Holmes came on. Luke Yates made some great runs. I wouldnt have predicted that after the first half but all credit to them. Thats how we CAN play. Buzzing. Well done Paul Smith.
TBH I could see it coming at half time. They weren't a bad side at all but if we run at ANY team like that they will cave in. The pace throughout the side was frightening at times. Full credit to North Leigh for keeping on trying to play football in the right way even under that onslaught. Really enjoyed it.
Really?? I thought we struggled to break them down at times and first half they had several decent chances. I bow down to your foresight, you old soothsayer you.
Hahaha, if only. :D True that I did post at half time that I thought Simmo and Manning had caused them all sorts of problems and I could only see it continuing. When Holmes was thrown into the mix and Yates was marauding down the other side they were toast.
We really have to approach every game like that and if we do concede a couple, as we could have tonight, we know we can outscore them. It's just a joy to watch.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 06 Oct 2020, 22:25

Thing is, you get an edge with Bowen that none of the others give you. He’s loud, obnoxious, and an arse to the opposition in a way that makes the whole side better. He’d be one of my first names of the team sheet.

Agree with everything already said. Top effort on the Covid compliance (assuming the 5 0 were happy), always looked dangerous when attacking at pace, and on a side note, a North Leigh fan promised me a beer at their place. Can’t really complain about anything (I’d like to be able to put my own ketchup on my chips though!)

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 06 Oct 2020, 22:25

Great win and superb second half performance. The notable difference was Jack Holmes who was different gravy when he came on and lit up the place, just looked like scoring every time we broke forward. A super super talent.

I agree whilst I don’t think we did particularly badly the first half we seemed a bit clunky still and prone to the odd error defensively at the back. Sim Cobourne was very silky and skilful up front and looked dangerous but also felt at times he was trying to do too much with the ball instead of the simple stuff. But felt just having Jack on the pitch second half just seemed to calm us and we settled and played like our normal selves then.

Not going to make it all about ‘Super Jack’ though, also great to see Luke Yates back, he did a cracking job on the wing. Also Macauley Manning has impressed me and has been a revelation in the left back/wing role. Has thoroughly deserved his place in the side.

Great to see us back to winning ways in the league now ahead of a massive game against Corby on Saturday.

Just a side note - just want to say well done to the club tonight with the new restrictions in terms of the bar and Shed. I can imagine it can’t have been easy to implement and at short notice. But I felt it all worked out ok. I quite liked the personalised service, beer delivered straight to you on the terraces - meant I didn’t miss any goals whilst queuing at the bar for a change!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 06 Oct 2020, 22:34

fairweatherfan wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 22:25
Thing is, you get an edge with Bowen that none of the others give you. He’s loud, obnoxious, and an arse to the opposition in a way that makes the whole side better. He’d be one of my first names of the team sheet.
That is true. He is a magician when it comes to getting opponents sent off, never known anyone like it. He’ll have been on his feet applauding Lamela on the weekend (and making notes).

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 06 Oct 2020, 23:15

It's been said already, but they just couldn't cope with our runners at pace.

I agree that their keeper didn't help himself too much with some of his saves and the wall line up, but they were under constant pressure after the break.

The interchange and passing was great to watch, especially in the 2nd half.

Manning and Ali were the stand outs for me and although Catlow didn't have much to do he did make a very good save to keep a clean sheet.

Much improved organisation within the ground tonight as has already been said.

The pitch invader climbed over the wall by the turnstiles egged on by his teenage mates but not sure what sort of notoriety he was hoping to achieve.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 07 Oct 2020, 00:13

Southern League Division One Central – Tuesday, 6th October 2020

Halesowen Town 5 North Leigh 0

Five-star Halesowen ground down the Millers with five different scorers finding the net, writes DJ.

Home goalkeeper Bradley Catlow raced out to block from George Seacole in the 2nd minute and Luke Carnell blazed over the home bar a minute later. But Halesowen soon started to move the ball around well in a display of neat passing play and forced six corners within the first fifteen minutes as well as winning a dangerous 14th minute free-kick after Simeon Cobourne was fouled on the edge of the penalty area.

Ahmed ALI put Halesowen ahead in the 25th minute when his 20 yard left foot drive found the net off the inside of the post with goalkeeper Adam North unable to hold on. Ali almost added a second goal ten minutes later after being set up by busy Josh Hawker on a superb attacking break, but his shot was deflected into the side-netting for another corner.

Cobourne could only rattle the crossbar from a 40th minute penalty after McKauley Manning was bundled over as he skipped through the Millers’ defence. Cobourne was then crowded out in the area three minutes later and lively Luke Yates dragged a 45th minute effort wide after Jamie Molyneux did well to win the ball. North Leigh substitute John Mills missed a golden opportunity to equalise in first half injury time when he found space but lofted the ball over an open goal.

The Yeltz blasted North Leigh away with three more goals within four minutes at the start of the second-half and it was impressive half-time substitute Jack Holmes who was instrumental in all three. MOLYNEUX was on hand to follow up and make it 2-0 in the 48th minute as Halesowen launched another dangerous assault on North Leigh’s goal. Just a minute later Holmes surged down the right and squared the ball for Josh HAWKER to confidently tuck home the third goal into the bottom corner from 15 yards.

As wave after wave of flowing football continued and with Halesowen back to their best, Cobourne burst forward and set up MANNING to finish superbly and make it 4-0 in the 51st minute. The Yeltz continually stretched the Millers and substitute Dan Westwood put a good 67th minute chance the wrong side of the post when clear of goal.

It was left for HOLMES to add grist to the mill and complete the scoring with a fifth goal as his low direct 71st minute free-kick beat both goalkeeper North and his defensive wall. Catlow made a fine late double save at the other end but further Yeltz goals could’ve followed as Holmes skipped down the right to flash wide after 77 minutes and Molyneux was denied by North. Substitute Billy Shaw then shot just past the post and Holmes was just wide again in the final minute.

Halesowen Town: Bradley Catlow; Luke Yates, McKauley Manning, Ashley Carter, Paul McCone (c), Andy Parsons, Ahmed Ali (Billy Shaw 77), Josh Hawker, Simeon Cobourne (Dan Westwood 64), Jamie Molyneux, George Forsyth (Jack Holmes HT). Subs Not Used: Lewis Wright, Reece Hewitt.

North Leigh: Adam North; Scott Isherwood, Cameron McNeill, George Nash, Luke Carnell, Adam Learoyd (c), Harry Grant (Ben Brown 83), Callum McNish, George Seacole (Anaclet Odhiambo 68), Lance Williams, Elliott Osborne-Ricketts (John Mills 20). Subs Not Used: Eddie Odhiambo.

Referee: Ben Robinson Attendance: 400
Booked: None

Rusty
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rusty » 07 Oct 2020, 07:43

Wow what a game and for me personally it was great to be back.

I was really anxious before with all the covid stuff but knew for my own sanity I need to try and go back to normal. I just wanted to say a massive thankyou to all the staff behind the scenes that helped make the game covid free for supporters, there was a lot of attention to detail and it worked.

I also want to say a big thankyou to all of the fans who followed the guidelines ( except for that one stupid lad who ran on the pitch), without your support being able to attend these games wouldn't be possible.

Also one thing I saw today which shocked me, but in a good way, was how the club officials ( Karen, the Welfare Officer among others) were delivering table service drinks in the stands, they are really doing everything all they can to make the club work in the most difficult of times and I couldn't thank them enough.

As for the game itself, everything has been said, Jack when he came on was amazing, but my man of the match goes to Yates, playing out of position but he made it his position, I would love to see him play there again if possible.

Keep safe everybody and see you all again next time

Rusty