Noggin
Global Moderator

Re: Barton Updates

Post by Noggin » 26 Sep 2020, 19:51

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 26 Sep 2020, 21:53

As much as I do not like the wing back system we need it back, with the 3 centre backs we can command the ball and look much more solid as a defensive unit to play from the back and offer a lot more down the flanks as we did today as a 4. Hopefully when squad is sorted out injury and and absentee wise we will get there. Very very poor today delivery in the final 3rd and set pieces was awful, football is a funny game we could have got 20 last week yet I could not see us scoring today. In Paul smith I trust we go again

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 27 Sep 2020, 05:52

Johnny Bud wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 15:06
We should be 1 down! Good covering by McCone to clear it.

They are starting with number 19 and 12. Not sure why!
They said last season they use squad numbers as they have some big players.

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 27 Sep 2020, 06:05

andy wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 17:49
Why were there only 4 fixtures in our division today?
Because only eight clubs not drawn in today's FA Trophy round (we had Dareham last season) have agreed to bring forward a mid week fixture from later in the season and inform the league

We were due to play Barton on Tuesday 26th October.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 27 Sep 2020, 08:18

My Sunday morning post match musing.
We are all talking about two sub par performances this week against Barton and West Bridgford, so I looked up the stats from the excellent Yeltz TV.
In those two games we had a combined 36 shots with 24 on target ...and that got me thinking. In the last John Hill season I doubt we had that many in the WHOLE campaign, and I suddenly realised how far we have come.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 27 Sep 2020, 08:31

Dazzie76 wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 21:53
As much as I do not like the wing back system we need it back, with the 3 centre backs we can command the ball and look much more solid as a defensive unit to play from the back and offer a lot more down the flanks as we did today as a 4. Hopefully when squad is sorted out injury and and absentee wise we will get there. Very very poor today delivery in the final 3rd and set pieces was awful, football is a funny game we could have got 20 last week yet I could not see us scoring today. In Paul smith I trust we go again
I’ve heard a few people say this and I don’t disagree at all. If you remember the start of last season it was very similar- started the season with a back four and a holding midfielder but found ourselves leaking a sloppy goal most games. When we switched to a back three and wing backs we looked far more solid and finished the season having conceded the fewest goals in almost all of non-league.

Two problems this season though!
1. Going forward, we look lethal with three up top and both Jack and Simi seem most at home in a wing/inside forward role. So to move to 3-5-2 means you have to play these guys more centrally.
2. We’ve got no wing backs any more.

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 27 Sep 2020, 09:43

Not a lot more to add from me as most has already been said. It was in my opinion one of our poorest performances under Paul Smith but speaking to him after the game he knows it wasn’t a good performance and sure he knows in his head how to put things right on Wednesday and I have every confidence in him to do so.

I suppose again it just shows how far we have come as a team that we’re disappointed with ‘only a draw’ as it feels like a defeat. They were a good side to be fair and more than deserved something out of the game.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 27 Sep 2020, 11:15

old git wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 08:18
My Sunday morning post match musing.
We are all talking about two sub par performances this week against Barton and West Bridgford, so I looked up the stats from the excellent Yeltz TV.
In those two games we had a combined 36 shots with 24 on target ...and that got me thinking. In the last John Hill season I doubt we had that many in the WHOLE campaign, and I suddenly realised how far we have come.
That's a very good point, in fairness.

However, two out of the three games I've been to, we have been below par - well below par. But we have managed a win and draw in those two games, as we have real quality in this team.

It's obvious that something has happened in the dressing room, after reading Paul Smith's programme notes, and it looks like it has impacted our performance on the pitch. Something isn't quite right, is it? We just haven't looked like a team.

I am certain Smith is on top of it, and I completely agree with his stance - no player is bigger than the club. We need a couple of additions to strengthen in areas where we have lost players.

It just shows how far we have come, that I've been scathing, probably over the top in doing so, at our performances. We've won 3 and drawn one. It's a solid start to the season results wise.

But I can't help feeling a little disappointed. Very strange. We've been spoiled.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 27 Sep 2020, 11:39

don't expect miracles at Kidlington. It's not the greatest of pitches to play football on (as those who went in January can testify I'm sure). I'd take another scrappy win. Long way to go.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 27 Sep 2020, 11:48

HalesowenHarry wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 11:39
don't expect miracles at Kidlington. It's not the greatest of pitches to play football on (as those who went in January can testify I'm sure). I'd take another scrappy win. Long way to go.
Hopefully we get a competent referee this time. That was farcical last season.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz