Welwyn

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Welwyn

Post by DJ » 01 Sep 2019, 11:34

Halesowen Town 0 Welwyn Garden City 2

Frustrated Halesowen suffered their first defeat of the season despite the second-placed visitors ending the game with only nine men.

Halesowen started on the front foot as Jamie Ashmore whipped over a cross from the right for leading goalscorer Jamie Molyneux to head inches wide after just 15 seconds. Visiting goalkeeper Ryan Schmid then dived to save at the feet of Montel Gibson in the fourth minute.

But the Yeltz struggled for cohesion in a disjointed first half performance as the Citizens stunned the hosts to race into a two goal lead. Jesse Walklin played a great cross field ball over the top of the defence to find fullback Jay ROLFE on the right of the penalty area and he beat home goalkeeper Brendon Bunn in the 6th minute. The Citizens carved open the home defence again after 21 minutes but goalkeeper Bunn raced out of his area to win the ball and George Ironton then struck a low free-kick past the post.

IRONTON proved sharper than the home defence when he was first to react and double Welwyn’s lead after 27 minutes by converting a loose ball from a rebound after Jack Bradshaw’s shot was saved by Bunn.

The lack-lustre Yeltz found it difficult to respond although Ashley Sammons saw his 30th minute shot from a free-kick deflected away for a corner and Sammons then fired on top of the net five minutes later. The visitors were reduced to ten men a minute before the interval when goalscorer Rolfe was dismissed for his second yellow card.

Shell-shocked Halesowen found no answers after coming up against robust Welwyn’s wall of defence after the interval. The early part of the second period became a stop-start, ill-tempered affair with few chances as the Citizens picked up three further yellow cards around the hour mark. Sammons continued to create the best home chances and his 67th minute deflected shot looped up onto the crossbar and Sammons also drove wide with time running out for the below-par hosts. Schmid also grabbed the ball on the goal-line after a back header from his own defender Car Mensah.

Welwyn were reduced to just nine men when Mensah received a straight red card for a foul on the edge of the penalty area in the final minute but the well marshalled visitors easily saw out seven minutes of stoppage time to remain unbeaten in the league.

Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Jamie Ashmore, James Bowen (George Forsyth 75), Ashley Sammons, Paul McCone (c), Andrew Parsons, Joshua Hawker (Luke Yates 53), Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson (Jamie Lucas 53), Reece Hewitt, Jamie Molyneux. Subs Not Used: Robert Evans, Kartel O’Neill-Martin.

Welwyn Garden City: Ryan Schmid; Jay Rolfe, Jonathan Sexton, Jack Bradshaw, William McClelland, Carl Mensah, Lee Close, George Ironton (Dylan Ebengo 90), Toby Cleaver (Eusebio Da Silva 68), David Keenleyside, Jesse Walklin. Subs Not Used: Charlie Jones (GK), Charlie Payne, Gerardo Smaldone.

Referee: Jamie Conde Attendance: 503
Booked: Rolfe (29, 44), Sexton (59), Close (60), Bowen (60), Ironton (62)
Sent Off: Rolfe (44), Mensah (90)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by The Eddy Crew: Andy Parsons

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 01 Sep 2019, 11:35

Disappointing result. I felt we were a bit out of sorts the first half, our passing was a bit sloppy and got caught out defensively conceding two sucker punches.

But we were much better in the second half but found it difficult against a resilient side who were tough to break down especially when they went down to 9 men. As mentioned they did a job on us and fair play to them for that, although they were a bit on the dirty side.

Not being too critical as it was an off day and decisions went against us like the penalty decision and the disallowed goal but we need to be more assertive in the final third at times as we didn’t create many chances as our possession deserved. Thought a few players weren’t up to their usual standards too, Montel especially but these things happen.

Maybe a wake up call for us to know that we can’t just turn up, have to be on our game all the time. Although don’t think we will come up against too many sides like Welwyn, wouldn’t surprise me if they are up there with us come the end of the season.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 01 Sep 2019, 14:26

So we WERE robbed. Having now seen the still of the 'goal', the ball is clearly a foot over the line and I'm sure the 'penalty' was at least that far in the box. :-\
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Viewfrom5west
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Viewfrom5west » 01 Sep 2019, 15:25

Definitely robbed - it looked over the line from where I was standing on the recreation ground side and if you look in this morning's Sunday Mercury you can see the ball is plainly at least a foot over the line.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 01 Sep 2019, 16:31

How the lino didn't give that when he was in an excellent position is beyond me. Shocking.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 02 Sep 2019, 08:50

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 08:12
andy wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:32
drummyb wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:13
I think someone in the Shed upset Molineux with a comment with a cross near the end of the game. That soured it a bit for me.
If somebody is having a go at players after ONE slightly below par performance they definitely need the reality check ADY has mentioned. Jamie Molineux has been fantastic so far for us this season and I hope he doesn't take it to heart. GET BEHIND THE LADS!!!
I was by the incident. Fan shouted 'that's f-ing shit', after Molly over hit a cross.

Molly was visibly wound up. It wasn't great to see, and to get on the players backs after one below par performance isn't great.

I don't think we played too badly, it just wasn't happening. The chance where a deflected shot hit the cross bar pretty much summed the day up.

I really like this team and can't wait for the next game. I'm sure the players will bounce back after this set back.
Thats the comment. Id hope it was frustration, rather than getting on his back, cos folks wanted us to give the cheats one where it hurts. Still the reaction it got went a bit sour. Hey ho. We go again.

HasburyYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by HasburyYeltz » 02 Sep 2019, 09:01

andy wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:32
drummyb wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:13
I think someone in the Shed upset Molineux with a comment with a cross near the end of the game. That soured it a bit for me.
If somebody is having a go at players after ONE slightly below par performance they definitely need the reality check ADY has mentioned. Jamie Molineux has been fantastic so far for us this season and I hope he doesn't take it to heart. GET BEHIND THE LADS!!!
I heard and saw the aftermath of this incident with Jamie and I think he was in the wrong. He had a poor shoot off target and someone shouted it was sh*cking (out of frustration). Jamie took umbrage to this and spent the remaining few minutes looking for the individual in the shed. Not very professional and he needs to develop thicker skin if he wishes to progress in the game. The comment wasn't helpful and the whole team in the final 3rd lacked quality, not just Jamie. But, sulking on the pitch won't help. Made me question his staying power if things become a little difficult on the pitch. Every forward, at any levels gets questioned at some point, he can't take it heart every time someone thinks he could have better.

That aside and looking at the positives, we didn't play to our best and with a better ref could have landed a draw. WGC will be up there at the end of the season and on a good day we'd easily have the beating of them. I like the managers style and we kept trying to play the right way till the end. Over the last few years, we would have been lumping the ball into the box from 60 yards.

Nice to see the investment and efforts of all at the club paying off, even if it was an off day.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 02 Sep 2019, 11:16

Am I the only one that actually doesn't think we played too badly? Is it just after a few games we have now set the bar much higher? I'd have been chuffed with that performance last season and come away saying we were unlucky.
I also disagree that Jamie should 'grow a thicker skin', he's given everything this season and has looked quality. If someone wants to have a pop at him, then expect it back in spades! Yes, I've had a go at players in the past, but if you f*** and blind at them then you should stand by your remark and except whatever comes back your way. If not don't make the comment in the first place.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 02 Sep 2019, 11:55

andy wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:16
Am I the only one that actually doesn't think we played too badly? Is it just after a few games we have now set the bar much higher? I'd have been chuffed with that performance last season and come away saying we were unlucky.
I also disagree that Jamie should 'grow a thicker skin', he's given everything this season and has looked quality. If someone wants to have a pop at him, then expect it back in spades! Yes, I've had a go at players in the past, but if you f*** and blind at them then you should stand by your remark and except whatever comes back your way. If not don't make the comment in the first place.
No we didnt play badly. Even in defeat, we'd have loved a performance like that over the last 3-4 years. Its just the final third it didnt happen.

Im not one for cussing our own players. In part I think they have to shrug it off. Youre lauded if you score, cussed if you dont. As I said, I hope it was frustration rather than anything else.

HasburyYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by HasburyYeltz » 02 Sep 2019, 11:59

andy wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:16
For the record, the comment did not come from me, I heard it from the shed end, but it was not over zealous or persistent in its nature. I've heard a lot worse. However, I have to disagree with you on Jamie's conduct following the comment. Just because the lad has done well to date, it does not mean he can turn on a paying fan that was disappointed with his effort. My point (which it looks like you missed) was, he showed a side of him that disappointed me. Surely I'm allowed an opinion? To make it at any level you need to be able to bush these things off. I hope he continues his fine form for us but, his actions worried me to what he would do if the going got tough. I like you didn't agree with any of the lads getting a hard time from their performance on Saturday.

I also didn't think we played too bad but, we lacked quality in the final 3rd. As I said, with a different ref we could have easily ended up with a draw.