Post by andy » 20 Jul 2019, 16:55

Ft
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Stourbr*dge

Post by DJ » 20 Jul 2019, 17:49

Halesowen Town 1 Stourbr*dge 2

Two late goals from Greg Mills steered Stourbr*dge to a narrow victory at local rivals Halesowen.

The fixture attracted a bumper crowd of 807 and Yeltz manager Paul Smith felt his team’s performance was “really encouraging as we went toe to toe with a good Stourbr*dge side for over an hour” while Stourbr*dge assistant manager Richard Colwell reflected on “a fully competitive game that was just what we needed, a game with an edge and tempo to it.”

Lee Hughes nodded the first corner of the game wide for Halesowen in the 4th minute and Will Grocott poked wide in the 17th minute for Stourbr*dge. Before the interval, newly on-contract Yeltz striker Montel Gibson unleashed a 35 yard shot but goalkeeper James Wren tipped the ball away acrobatically for a corner. The visitors then cleared off the line from Reece Hewitt after confusion between Wren and his defence.

More clear-cut chances were created in second period and Gibson went close when his 52nd minute effort crashed off the bar. Home substitute Luke Yates then skipped through the Stourbr*dge defence in the 57th minute with his shot earning a corner.

Stourbr*dge snatched a 78th minute lead when substitute Lewis Archer fed substitute Ryan Winwood and his low cross was turned home by Mills at the end of a good move. Mills added a second goal three minutes later in a solo effort when his 30 yard deflected drive caught out home goalkeeper Brad Catlow.

A header from home substitute Isai Marselia forced a great save from substitute Glassboys’ goalkeeper Charlie Price in the 84th minute but the Yeltz pulled a goal back in stoppage time when Marselia laid the ball off for James Bowen to beat Price at his near post with a low 20 yard drive.

Halesowen Town: Brad Catlow; Jamie Ashmore, James Bowen, Ash Sammons, Paul McCone (c), Jordan Piggott, Josh Hawker, Luke Rowe, Montel Gibson, Lee Hughes, Reece Hewitt. Subs: Lewis Wright, Brad Ward, Dan Danks, Kartel O’Neill-Martin, Luke Yates, Isai Marselia, Ryan Bailey.

Stourbr*dge: James Wren; Tom Tonks, Zac Foster, Tom Turton, Jordan Williams, Jordaan Brown, Dave Bellis, Mike McGrath, Aaron Lloyd, Will Grocott, Greg Mills. Subs: Ashley Carter, Charlie Price, Ryan Winwood, Kieran Cook, Mike Taylor, Lewis Archer.

Attendance: 807

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 20 Jul 2019, 17:51

Decent enough performance. Both teams had spells in the game where they were on top. When it was Stour, until late on we handled them well. We created enough in our spells to once again give us great encouragement. I doubt we will come up against any teams as good as Stour in the season so games like this where we've matched them will stand us in good stead.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 20 Jul 2019, 17:59

andy wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 17:51
Decent enough performance. Both teams had spells in the game where they were on top. When it was Stour, until late on we handled them well. We created enough in our spells to once again give us great encouragement. I doubt we will come up against any teams as good as Stour in the season so games like this where we've matched them will stand us in good stead.
Exactly this. I'm still coming to terms with watching a Yeltz match where we have a clear game plan and pattern. As well as organisation, confidence and decent football. Long may it continue.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 20 Jul 2019, 17:59

Greetings all, Mr Blue Sky here.

Shame about the result but not a major worry. Paul said he’d rather we won at Yaxley than won today and you can’t argue with that. This was a heavily rotated team and we endeavoured to play nice stuff.

My early player assessments :) Hawker and Sammons both look fantastic- ball playing centre mids who dictate the play and pick a pass. Also like the left back (Bowen?) who seems very capable.

Jury is out on McCone for me. Always viewed him as a risk in the Stour back line and I’m yet to be convinced of him in a Yeltz shirt. My feelings on Hughes have been made clear before - I’m not sure what he gives us on the pitch.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 20 Jul 2019, 18:33

piearce9 wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 17:59
My feelings on Hughes have been made clear before - I’m not sure what he gives us on the pitch.
I doubt that will be an issue you will have to worry about. He will get minutes here and there I'm sure but will not be in contention for the starting eleven if everyone is fit. If needed though I'm sure he could still play a part at this level. Will be useful for bringing his experience to younger players off the pitch though.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 20 Jul 2019, 18:51

andy wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 14:36
Carlow
Ashmore
Bowen
Sammons
McCone
Piggott
Hawker
Rowe
Gibson
Hughes
Hewitt

Wright
Ward
Frank's
Oniell Martin
Yates
Marsellia
Bailey
Apologies for flipping auto correct. Changed quite a few while I was doing it. Never noticed Danks changed to Frank's and Catlow to Carlow. Marsellia (1 L) and O'neill my fault. ;D