Gresley Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Gresley Updates

Post by dalevillain » 07 Aug 2016, 07:52

Not a lot you can really say again as it was 'only a friendly' but from what I have seen in the last two games is we sure as hell need to improve ahead of next week or we are going to find it very tough. There have been some stages where we have looked good but others where we have looked sloppy and making silly errors.

It's a bit concerning that a week to go before the start we are still having trialists playing. Normally the last pre-season game is when you start with the team you will starting the first game with. Does JH know what his best team is? Maybe he does and is keeping his cards close to his chest and was just taking a look at something different. The No.6 and a couple of the other trialists who came on did look decent, but is now the time to start experimenting when we've had 7 games previous to do that?

Also gutted for APS going off with another injury, the lad doesn't seem to have any luck when it comes to injuries, wish him a speedy recovery as he looks a real threat for us when he is on the ball.

A good day out though yesterday in glorious weather and was also nice to see Poll and Doc down the Grove, although didn't get the chance to say 'hello' in person!

Here's to another season - up the Yeltz!

DanielRolinson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DanielRolinson » 07 Aug 2016, 10:04

Yeltz TV

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 07 Aug 2016, 12:03

dalevillain wrote: A good day out though yesterday in glorious weather and was also nice to see Poll and Doc down the Grove, although didn't get the chance to say 'hello' in person!

Here's to another season - up the Yeltz!
A few of the old guard snuck down to catch a game before spending the rest of the day in the pub for valenciayeltz's 50th birthday.

It was nice to see The Grove looking tidy, although the pitch and what was on it didn't look too great...

I suspect we'll be OK, in JH we trust.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 07 Aug 2016, 16:06

Halesowen Town 2 Gresley FC 4

Halesowen suffered a third consecutive home friendly defeat after Gresley, from the Evostik League Division One South, struck two goals in each half. Home goals either side of the interval seemed to have turned around an early two goal deficit, but the Yeltz crashed again to two late goals from Toby Fura.

The Yeltz also suffered a double early injury blow with Ashley Parsons-Smith stretchered off in the 10th minute after bundling into Matt Melbourne in the penalty area. To add insult to injury, the visitors were awarded a penalty for the challenge and Pearson MWANYONGO duly despatched the ball to Dan Platt’s right a minute later. Parson-Smith’s replacement Bradley Lewis lasted just two minutes in action before limping off with a hamstring injury and was subsequently substituted by Asa Charlton.

Platt caught a 21st minute effort from Courtney Meade but MEADE soon put lively Gresley 2-0 ahead and on course for their first success at the Grove since 1998 with a low 26th minute drive from 15 yards after collecting Melbourne’s pass.

The Yeltz pulled a goal back a minute before the interval when Maradona’s corner was headed on by Kyle Morrison and the number 6 TRIALIST defender stabbed home from close range. Danny Bragoli headed just over the Gresley crossbar seconds before the interval.

Tyree CLARKE then equalised for Halesowen from the penalty spot in the 57th minute after Fura clipped the legs of Malcolm Melvin.

Despite missing key players, Gresley fully deserved their victory with Fura adding two further goals. FURA put Gresley 3-2 ahead after 67 minutes following neat work down the right from Melbourne and Pearson. The Yeltz were left with plenty to ponder at the end of the final friendly before the new league season after FURA then steered home Gresley’s fourth goal from Melbourne’s 87th minute cross from the left.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Ashley Parsons-Smith, Callum Williams, Jay Denny (c), Kyle Morrison, Trialist, Malcolm Melvin, Danny Bragoli, Kaiman Anderson, Maradona, Tyree Clarke. Subs: Asa Charlton, Bradley Lewis, Aaron Griffiths, Mike Turner, 2 Trialists, Jake King.

Gresley FC: Ben Gough; Jamie Barrett (c), Josh Egginton, Ryan Walker, Lucas Harrison, Toby Fura, Pearson Mwanyongo, Ben Harris, Courtney Meade, Matt Melbourne, Michael Pearson. Subs: Jake Carlisle, Tendai Chitiza, Dexter Morris-Clarke, Matt Roome, Jordan Wakelin.

Referee: Dean Steatham
Attendance: 176

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 07 Aug 2016, 19:22

I too am a bit puzzled by trialists. Also why can't a trialist be named? Is there some kind of antiquated ruling..I am sure someone will know.

The pre-season hasn't gone very well. I know it is taken with a pinch of salt sometimes regarding results, but losing to lower league teams doesn't augur well. So let's hope it's misleading.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 07 Aug 2016, 19:41

juanillo wrote:I too am a bit puzzled by trialists. Also why can't a trialist be named? Is there some kind of antiquated ruling..I am sure someone will know.

The pre-season hasn't gone very well. I know it is taken with a pinch of salt sometimes regarding results, but losing to lower league teams doesn't augur well. So let's hope it's misleading.
Don't worry, in John Hill we trust

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 07 Aug 2016, 19:51

I try not to take too much notice of pre-season friendlies be it a good win or a bad loss. But to lose against a side three levels below us (though, I'm sure they won't be three levels below for long) on Tuesday and then a side a level below us yesterday is slightly concerning - although I'm not going to lose sleep over the two defeats.

It's certainly not as bad as the complete rebuild we endured last pre-season. At least we look like we have a game plan and there is a purpose to our attacks. We at least look capable of creating chances.

I do worry about us at the back. Every single goal Gresley scored yesterday was preventable. Defensively it was far too easy for them. Hopefully that's something we can put right over this week with a tough start at Buxton coming up.

Echoing the point about trialists. To have three in the squad at the very late stage seems odd. I'd like to think John and Matt know their strongest line up by now. Obviously they know better than I but I'd have thought the last two maybe even three pre season games you play your strongest lineup to prepare for the new season?

I thought the no.6 trialist looked a good prospect, I'd be interested to see him play for us again. The style of his play very much reminded me of Curtis Tilt. He looked athletic and looked to the read the game well.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 07 Aug 2016, 20:24

[quote="juanillo"]I too am a bit puzzled by trialists. Also why can't a trialist be named? Is there some kind of antiquated ruling..I am sure someone will know.

It can alert other clubs to their availability. At this time of the season players are often told they won't be signing for a club after being on trial and then become available. Sometimes it's just a waiting game for players as they hold all the power early pre-season and will play clubs off against each other for another £10. Players looking for clubs at this stage of pre-season can somewhat put the power back into the hands of the clubs. Henry Eze is an example, played a half for us early pre-season then signs for Rushall. Whether he used us to get a deal elsewhere I'm not sure but it certainly looks that way.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 07 Aug 2016, 21:08

RobYeltz wrote:
juanillo wrote:I too am a bit puzzled by trialists. Also why can't a trialist be named? Is there some kind of antiquated ruling..I am sure someone will know.

It can alert other clubs to their availability. At this time of the season players are often told they won't be signing for a club after being on trial and then become available. Sometimes it's just a waiting game for players as they hold all the power early pre-season and will play clubs off against each other for another £10. Players looking for clubs at this stage of pre-season can somewhat put the power back into the hands of the clubs. Henry Eze is an example, played a half for us early pre-season then signs for Rushall. Whether he used us to get a deal elsewhere I'm not sure but it certainly looks that way.
Thanks for the explanation Rob.

I still think it's odd especially when the officials and FA obviously have to know who's involved and there doesn't appear to be any formal binding rule associated with this practice.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 08 Aug 2016, 07:38

juanillo wrote:
RobYeltz wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Rob.

I still think it's odd especially when the officials and FA obviously have to know who's involved and there doesn't appear to be any formal binding rule associated with this practice.
Publicly named is obviously different ;-)
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ