Buxton Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Buxton Updates

Post by RobYeltz » 21 Feb 2016, 12:03

After 4 consecutive defeats, player confidence fragile, style of play, and player abilities being questioned, bickering between folk and a new young lad upfront I don't think we were ever going to produce a performance akin to Brazil 1970 but thankfully the rot has been stopped. On another day I thought we might have won or lost the game so a draw was probably about right, with both keepers making crucial saves for their respective teams.

The ref I thought was weak and inconsistent, he gave things that he shouldn't and didn't give things he should. Griff's booking was a farce. The penalty looked soft and he went down pretty easy under some contact. From my Shed End view I thought it was harsh but will await Yeltz TV's coverage.
Sweeney I thought looked excellent and he was unlucky on a couple of occasions to not open his account with a debut goal. Whilst the performance level and result is maybe not what anyone wanted it was a vast improvement on the week previous Nantwich. I'm not sure it's much of a help or a hindrance that we play Buxton again next week, but I see no reason why we can't go there and get at least a point. Hopefully we'll have a decent Yeltz following make the trip.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

DanielRolinson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DanielRolinson » 21 Feb 2016, 12:04

Yeltz TV

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 21 Feb 2016, 12:43

RobYeltz wrote:After 4 consecutive defeats, player confidence fragile, style of play, and player abilities being questioned, bickering between folk and a new young lad upfront I don't think we were ever going to produce a performance akin to Brazil 1970 but thankfully the rot has been stopped. On another day I thought we might have won or lost the game so a draw was probably about right, with both keepers making crucial saves for their respective teams.

The ref I thought was weak and inconsistent, he gave things that he shouldn't and didn't give things he should. Griff's booking was a farce. The penalty looked soft and he went down pretty easy under some contact. From my Shed End view I thought it was harsh but will await Yeltz TV's coverage.
Sweeney I thought looked excellent and he was unlucky on a couple of occasions to not open his account with a debut goal. Whilst the performance level and result is maybe not what anyone wanted it was a vast improvement on the week previous Nantwich. I'm not sure it's much of a help or a hindrance that we play Buxton again next week, but I see no reason why we can't go there and get at least a point. Hopefully we'll have a decent Yeltz following make the trip.
I still think it was a penalty. Just because it might have been soft, and we might not like it doesn't necessarily mean the referee got the decision wrong. If you make contact like that in the box you run the risk.....and I've been to enough games to know that as soon as he went down what the decision was going to be.

Also, and this is a genuine question before anybody thinks I am winding people up, can somebody explain to me why Griffiths' foul wasn't a booking. I've watched it a few times and to my eyes it looks like he deliberately steps across to block the player. How anybody could say 'he didn't touch him' like on the commentary is beyond me. Maybe the booking wasn't just for that but for a few collective things during the game?

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 21 Feb 2016, 13:33

You do run the risk if you make contact, you're right, however just because contact was made also doesn't mean it is a penalty, the lad falls over theatrically and I think a stronger/better ref would have dismissed it.

As for Griff's booking he comes across to challenge the player realises he isn't going to get there and turns his back and stops before making any contact with him. At the very, very most it is a free kick for unintentional obstruction. If players are going to get booked for that then we'll soon be playing 8 a side. The defending player has no responsibility to get out of the way and is fuilly entitled to stand their ground.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 21 Feb 2016, 13:51

RobYeltz wrote:You do run the risk if you make contact, you're right, however just because contact was made also doesn't mean it is a penalty, the lad falls over theatrically and I think a stronger/better ref would have dismissed it.

As for Griff's booking he comes across to challenge the player realises he isn't going to get there and turns his back and stops before making any contact with him. At the very, very most it is a free kick for unintentional obstruction. If players are going to get booked for that then we'll soon be playing 8 a side. The defending player has no responsibility to get out of the way and is fuilly entitled to stand their ground.
Ok, thanks Rob. I think the Griffiths thing is slightly more intentional than that, obviously not in a nasty way, but just that he seems to push his shoulder out after he has stopped moving and as the player is going past him. To me it looks like what they call 'a professional foul'

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 21 Feb 2016, 14:24

Another thing to consider as well is where the ball went. Never in a million years was the Buxton player going to get to the ball as he'd over run it.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 21 Feb 2016, 15:35

Right- seen the penalty again (thanks Yeltz TV- heaven knows how we coped without you before). I had a much better angle on it yesterday but still think it's as soft as you can get. Ref was conned big time.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 21 Feb 2016, 17:18

Well I don't think the referee was particularly weak. For example, there was a foul right in front of the linesman, where I was standing and the Yeltz bench in the first half. It was a blatant foul and the linesman had no choice but to flag for it, but of course he got the usual loads of swearing from the players and fans. I do think blaming the referee is too often a convenient excuse. Of course mistakes are made, but not anywhere nearly as regularly as people make out on here. And we always say the players do it for the love of it, but the same applies to the referees who are simply trying their best

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 21 Feb 2016, 17:59

Yeltz27 wrote:Well I don't think the referee was particularly weak. For example, there was a foul right in front of the linesman, where I was standing and the Yeltz bench in the first half. It was a blatant foul and the linesman had no choice but to flag for it, but of course he got the usual loads of swearing from the players and fans. I do think blaming the referee is too often a convenient excuse. Of course mistakes are made, but not anywhere nearly as regularly as people make out on here. And we always say the players do it for the love of it, but the same applies to the referees who are simply trying their best
If you're going to use the excuse the officials are doing their best, then surely you should be using that same reason of argument for the manager, coaches and players.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 21 Feb 2016, 18:05

RobYeltz wrote:
Yeltz27 wrote:Well I don't think the referee was particularly weak. For example, there was a foul right in front of the linesman, where I was standing and the Yeltz bench in the first half. It was a blatant foul and the linesman had no choice but to flag for it, but of course he got the usual loads of swearing from the players and fans. I do think blaming the referee is too often a convenient excuse. Of course mistakes are made, but not anywhere nearly as regularly as people make out on here. And we always say the players do it for the love of it, but the same applies to the referees who are simply trying their best
If you're going to use the excuse the officials are doing their best, then surely you should be using that same reason of argument for the manager, coaches and players.
I see your point, but I'm not excusing anything, I'm saying if people stick up for the players, don't swear at and abuse referees. People were disgusted last week, as was I, but nobody is disgusted when the referee takes abuse. Why? It's the same surely? When somebody comes on here and says yes it is the same and it should stop, I will shut up. It's equally as bad as what happened to the players last week, so Johnc for example, if you were so inclined to go and tell the culprit last week to his face, do the same about this with the referees. Abuse is abuse