Grantham Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Grantham Updates

Post by piearce9 » 26 Apr 2015, 09:03

pantverdant1 wrote:Who would be on the retained list after today - nobody including the management team! who would be on
the retained list after the second half of the season Tilt and Serjeant and thats about your lot.
Hahaha! This is more classic than the blind faith guy! Seriously- you guys are killing me with this stuff!

I think we might need to have a whip round and buy some of you doom-and-gloomers a week's holiday somewhere nice. We've been saying how all the players and staff are in need of a break but, judging by the comments, some of the fans are in need of one even more!

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 26 Apr 2015, 09:44

BBNOW100 wrote:Okay yes as Rob said this season could have been better. We didn't score enough goals, that was our problem and I'm not going to deny that.

But never the less, at the end of the day we finished 11th. And like I mentioned before, we could so easily have been down there with Belper if we hadn't had that run in the middle of the season.

As for a retained list, for me Hull, Sargeant and Green are must keep players for next season.

And Yeltz 27, yes we are supportive of the management and players and of course you asked where the line is we stop being supportive. But where's the line you stop being critical of everything the players and management do and you start being supportive for once rather than coming on here whinging and looking to cause an argument? When will you start actually getting behind the team rather than just coming on here and making a mockery out of them? Why do you only post on here when we're on a bad run of form and not that time we went give or take a couple 3 months without a loss?
I'm not looking to cause an argument. I'm not aware that I'm the one who has insulted anybody for having an opinion. That's very much been one way so I think it's others who want an argument.

I haven't been convinced by many things this season, and if things change I will be more optimistic. But there have been, despite finishing 11th, many poor displays this season

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 26 Apr 2015, 10:12

In a season that has seemed to have been surrounded by 1-1 draws how fitting it was that we should finish the season with our most frequent score line!

I think the least said about the game yesterday the better. It was a pretty dour end of season affair. I thought we were pretty poor the first half. We picked up in the second and got the last gasp goal from Forde, which I think had we lost the game would have been a touch harsh.

Overall, from reading comments on here, I think a little perspective needs to be given. Whilst the form of the last 15/16 games or whatever haven't been good and there's no getting away from that fact, but the fact of the matter is we've finished 11th. In years to come, the poor run of form will be forgotten about and the records will just show we've finished the season in 11th place! Considering it's the first time we've played in the Northern Premier League and a lot of our players, if not the majority have never played at this level before, I think that's pretty good going and would have taken that at the start of the season. In fact after our first 10 games and some of the performances I would have taken 5th from bottom!

Of course people have their opinions but for me it's been a good season and at one point people were talking of an outside chance of the play-offs. Of course, our season seems to have dwindled away and the Stourbr*dge game aside, results have been disappointing, but the majority of players went on a run without being beaten for a good 2-3 months through the winter.

Could it have been better? Of course. But could it have been worse? Absolutely.

I'm keeping the faith, getting behind the manager and the players, and I'll be back down the Grove next season!
Roll on July for pre-season!

Up The Yeltz!

Magnus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Magnus » 26 Apr 2015, 14:48

Just an observation: Gap between Buxton (10th) and Us (11th) - 12 points
Gap between us and (22nd1/2 ) - 12 points

spongeyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by spongeyeltz » 26 Apr 2015, 15:34

Might be talking out of my a**e, but I wonder how much the pitch has contributed to to the poor quality. I don't recall any team out playing us at the Grove. Also when we were in our good run the pitch was a lot softer and more predictable. Yesterday the pitch looked rock hard and the ball was bobbling all over the place.

dazzlingdazza
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dazzlingdazza » 26 Apr 2015, 16:23

I respect anyone's opinion on here, now I am going to say my piece.

We started the season slowly (we all know that) we won one of the first 10 league matches. At this point most thought we would really struggle, and I am sure many would agree that they would have settled with staying up, then we went on the amazing run which saw us lose once in the league in nearly 4 months !!!

Every team usually has one bad patch in a season, we had 2, with our finish of only 1 win in our last 16 league games. What I am trying to say if we had had those 2 bad patches to start with (or 1 double bad patch!!!) then finished strong everyone would have been delighted on us getting out of trouble and staying up, the fact that we got into the mix to challenge for the play offs and then faded probably made things worse than things are/were.

What I will say is this was our first season after promotion, a lot of these players have never played at this level and we were hardly in a position to throw money around all over the place.

We played FC United twice and with our performances we deserved to take 4 points off them, I mean we battered them at home and matched them away.

I am as ambitious as the next person and want us to kick on as soon as we can, but let's get a certain amount of realism about things, last seasons title was a tough one to win with Coalville and Leek. I mean most would have settled for the play offs with the lottery of that anything could have happened.

I think with most managers at the helm we would still be in the Northern Premier Division One South, let's face it John Hill got every ounce out of them to win that league, and apart from the 1st 10 matches we never looked like relegation this season, that's progress, let's be patient it doesn't happen overnight, just look at them lot up the road.

I am optimistic we will be up there next season and in John Hill I really think we are going places, can't wait for the new season already.

gingeryeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by gingeryeltz » 26 Apr 2015, 16:26

dazzlingdazza wrote:I respect anyone's opinion on here, now I am going to say my piece.

I respect MOST peoples opinions on here.

dazzlingdazza
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dazzlingdazza » 26 Apr 2015, 16:38

Not mine though eh ?? Cus I used to be a Manc lol

Steve Glass
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Steve Glass » 27 Apr 2015, 08:38

So we finished with a game typical of a few recently....windy, bobbly pitch making control difficult, kicks from our keeper being an air traffic control hazard, one error making us down at half time. Last Bovril for a while with a brief sight of Sarah's cake but not offered to those further back in the queue .Then maximum effort and a well earned draw with the last kick. Well done all. Will be back for more of everything after recovering in the summer. Enjoy the break -we all deserve one.

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 27 Apr 2015, 14:44

Steve Glass wrote:So we finished with a game typical of a few recently....windy, bobbly pitch making control difficult, kicks from our keeper being an air traffic control hazard, one error making us down at half time. Last Bovril for a while with a brief sight of Sarah's cake but not offered to those further back in the queue .Then maximum effort and a well earned draw with the last kick. Well done all. Will be back for more of everything after recovering in the summer. Enjoy the break -we all deserve one.
Should of just asked for some cake :-)