Trafford updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Trafford updates

Post by andy » 29 Mar 2015, 21:24

RobYeltz wrote:Some very good posts on here this afternoon.

I think that Halesowen have done a great job in this division overall, it's a shame it has tailed off a little in recent weeks and it would be nice to see us finish strongly.

The players have done superbly in my opinion and give their all for the shirt, the closeness of them as a unit is a massive factor as to why we are a resilient hard working side. The point made about Jake Jones is an interesting one, he was on a good wedge at Kings Lynn and supposedly took a cut to join us as he was sick of the traveling. The niggling injuries he had didn't help him and he's gone back there and scored on his second debut without a sign of an injury. I can't imagine he's gone back there for less money...

The signing players from lower level clubs is an interesting point, it's served John well in the past and there is no reason to suggest it won't continue to work in the future, but I have commented myself we could do with a couple of players in the team who are making the step down to help the team out too. Whether John has that money, who knows?

The crowds again is an interesting point, currently we're only behind FC, Kings Lynn and the same as S*******dge. We should go above Stour when they visit us on Easter Monday. I do know though that other clubs generate good money from their social clubs that are open every day as well as on match days. Again, as noggin suggested we don't what other clubs are doing really!

Washy002 makes probably the best point though, we all want the team to do well, we all want the club to move forwards, we're all Yeltz fans. Let's respect each others views and opinions and try and get behind the lads in the remaining games.
Excellent as ever. Have you ever thought of joining the UN? ;D

Colin Bobble
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Colin Bobble » 29 Mar 2015, 21:40

Now now children. I think we need to remember that our plucky little club has reached the lofty heights that have only occurred in the living memory of many. It's no wonder some are getting nosebleeds.
The ploughman he's a bonnie lad,
His mind is ever true, jo,
His garters knit below his knee,
His bonnet it is blue, jo.
Then up wi' him my ploughman lad,
And hey my merry ploughman!
Of a' the trades that I do ken,
Commend me to the ploughman.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 29 Mar 2015, 21:48

Noggin wrote:I am always very sceptical about believing any figure quoted for a playing budget, what ever the source simply because there a variety of motives for giving a misleading figure: wanting to disguise poor performance on a high budget, wanting to downplay expectations as to wages, want to give the impression of over achieving on a poor budget when actually the team is paying full whack.

If anyone believes most of the figures quoted, then I have a very nice bridge in London for sale

Even if the figure quoted is correct, there are so many variable around the figure; net of tax or gross, include or exclude management staff, how many contract players who have to be paid but are not available eg injured, suspended.

Also, in any club there will be a very small number who know the details, but a significantly larger number who claim to know the details - and are almost certainly wrong

Basically, there are so many factors involved, the picture will always be as clear as an unclear things
Noggin ....what a sensible chap you are. I have been involved with football finances for nearly 30 years, and apart from the last 5 or so with this club, and what you have said sums everything perfectly.
The ONLY thing that should dictate wages at our, or any other club, is that you only pay what you can afford.

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 29 Mar 2015, 23:14

Agree that any club should live within their means but if that had been the case last season, we may not have got promotion and therefore higher gates (or a bar) to increase revenue for the future. Sometimes it takes someone putting money in (and getting bills reduced) to secure the longer term future of the club...Speculate to accumulate as they say!

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 29 Mar 2015, 23:28

Washy002 wrote:Agree that any club should live within their means but if that had been the case last season, we may not have got promotion and therefore higher gates (or a bar) to increase revenue for the future. Sometimes it takes someone putting money in (and getting bills reduced) to secure the longer term future of the club...Speculate to accumulate as they say!
Going back a little to noggins post, quite clearly clubs like Barwell who have little support and no social club must have some wealthy people involved with the club or they have some very generous sponsors. Frickley, Ashton United, Curzon Ashton and Skelmersdale don't have big crowds either, I wonder how they survive as a club?
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 29 Mar 2015, 23:34

RobYeltz wrote:
Washy002 wrote:Agree that any club should live within their means but if that had been the case last season, we may not have got promotion and therefore higher gates (or a bar) to increase revenue for the future. Sometimes it takes someone putting money in (and getting bills reduced) to secure the longer term future of the club...Speculate to accumulate as they say!
Going back a little to noggins post, quite clearly clubs like Barwell who have little support and no social club must have some wealthy people involved with the club or they have some very generous sponsors. Frickley, Ashton United, Curzon Ashton and Skelmersdale don't have big crowds either, I wonder how they survive as a club?
Normally, it's people that have been supporters for donkey's years and they put money into the club instead of playing golf or whatever!! The clubs that seem to go bust are the ones who are owned by someone who wants to own a club and not really a fan and then when they get bored leave the club in trouble (Coalville for example).

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 30 Mar 2015, 09:10

My original post was about how figures quoted for playing budgets must be taken with an entire cellar of salt, but as we have moved on to how clubs can get into trouble, I thought I would add another pitfall to pick up on Washys non-golf playing friend scenario.

Hypothetically a supporter puts money into their club, but does this as a loan for the books, but with no expectation of repayment. This is quite common and I considered doing this with HTFC about a year ago.

Suppose though, that our non-golfing supporter then decides to use the loan to influence the direction of the football club and withdraws their financial support if they don't get their own way. That leaves the club with a debt that they cannot repay. An apparently thriving club that is extremely well run could be many thousands in debt.

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 30 Mar 2015, 09:39

Noggin wrote:
Suppose though, that our non-golfing supporter then decides to use the loan to influence the direction of the football club and withdraws their financial support if they don't get their own way. That leaves the club with a debt that they cannot repay. An apparently thriving club that is extremely well run could be many thousands in debt.
Agree that is dangerous to have loans against the club but for many clubs that's the reality of surviving!

However, what is equally bad is those financial supporters been treated so badly that they no longer want to invest... Or want to invest and being denied!

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 30 Mar 2015, 09:59

I would be surprised is there were any football clubs of a similar scale to ours that had experienced a situation like that.

In any case, I was talking in general terms, not specific clubs. Do know you of any situations such as those that you have described?

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 30 Mar 2015, 10:51

Noggin wrote:I would be surprised is there were any football clubs of a similar scale to ours that had experienced a situation like that.
Completely agree... Normally clubs treat their main financial investors with a little bit more respect!!