Gresley Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Gresley Updates

Post by RobYeltz » 10 Mar 2014, 23:18

Just got back via JohnC's limo.

A very, very solid performance tonight, and the early goal certainly helped us settle. They simply couldn't cope with Ben's movement off the ball. For the penalty, Ben got the wrong side of the defender and cut across him to be bought down and Isedyn finished neatly. Shortly after Ben hit the bar and missed a great chance that he put wide after being put through. His goal came after another ball over the top, Ben outpaced their defender to neatly finish past the keeper. Isedyn was a right handful too, their defenders just couldn't handle the two of them.
Macca in particular played well in the middle, but special mention to Nigel Penney who played superbly in an unfamiliar right midfield. He caused no end of problems in the first half and delivered some quality balls from wide. What impressed me most though was his willingness to track back and he covered Kristian's position when he pushed forward.
Many positives tonights I thought, a much needed clean sheet, a couple of youth lads getting minutes on the pitch, Ben looked back to his threatening best, Nigel Penney's all round performance, 3 points and NO INJURIES!

The only negatives were my child size portion of sausage and mash in Swandlincote's Wetherspoon's, and the 'no beer outside' rule.

See you Saturday...
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 11 Mar 2014, 00:00

as comfortable a 3 points as you will ever see. Ben drove them mad with his off the ball work first half and could have notched 4 before half time.
Immense performances all over the pitch but special mention firstly to Isyden. Before the kick off a couple of their fans were taking the p*** about the fat number 9.....80 minutes later when he was subsituted the same 2 lads actually applauded him off !!! Enough said...
But to me the highlight of the night was Nigel Penney's performance....10/10..superb from the first whistle.
What this team lack in skill they more than make up for in effort and sheer determination.

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 11 Mar 2014, 00:28

Well done all again. Brilliant result well deserved. Told ya we like to break records 14 home run now beaten well and truly.
Another clean sheet.
Not going to name one as all did the job tonight.

Now we need to pay Newcastle back for the loss at their veladrome earlier in the season.

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 07:23

To the Seargent comment earlier in the thread...he made one excellent save in the first half to keep it 1-0.

I wasn't his greatest fan but over the last 4 or 5 games he really has come in to his own.

Goole and Coalville away especially.

Fully deserves his place in the side right now.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 10:51

RaidenYeltz wrote:To the Seargent comment earlier in the thread...he made one excellent save in the first half to keep it 1-0.

I wasn't his greatest fan but over the last 4 or 5 games he really has come in to his own.

Goole and Coalville away especially.

Fully deserves his place in the side right now.
I agree, Sarge has been excellent recently as have all of the back four. On Saturday, we were poor defensively collectively and it would be unfair to single out individuals. If we had a player of the month award Sarge would certainly be one of the nominees...
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 11:41

If we're doing player of the month then my nomination has to be Forde.

KingEdsYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KingEdsYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 11:52

tiki-taka gresley weren't impressed with our style seemingly, was it really that bad?

http://www.gresleyfc.com/first-team/report/6778

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 12:03

KingEdsYeltz wrote:tiki-taka gresley weren't impressed with our style seemingly, was it really that bad?

http://www.gresleyfc.com/first-team/report/6778

http://www.gresleyfc.com/fansforum/view ... e3040c2ff1

All 3 of their fans aren't happy either!

As for your question, certainly not.

Gresely hoofed more than we did, I saw us play some thoughtful 'through' balls over the top to Ben. Ben must have had 5 or 6 one on one / good chances through such balls. I also thought we played some great stuff in the final third, especially from Penny and Griffiths on the wings.

If you ask McKenzie, Griffiths, Penny and Forde they would tell you they played some great football and played some great passes to Ben and Christie. It was far from hoof ball.

I thought it was a very enjoyable watch. We slowed it down in the second half, but who doesn't when you're 2 up away from home? Very professional game to watch.

'Gresely improved second half'. Not from where I was standing they didn't. Barely mustered an attempt on target all game. But for way ward pot shots from 30 yards and one very good save from Sarge they did nothing. All Gresely could muster was aimless punts down field which Tilt and Hull saw off every time.

They fail to mention the second penalty shout moments later, again on Ben, which to me looked more of a penalty than the one that which was given. I fear it wasn't given as a penalty due to us already having been given a penalty minutes earlier.

Also the Gresely match report failed to mention the two over the top lunging fouls, both resulting in yellows. One on Ben and one on Brendon (I think). The second one, IMO, was lucky not to be a red card.

Only one team played football last night, and they won.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 11 Mar 2014, 13:37

it always amazes me to read the opposition view.
I always thought 'hoofing it' was defined as long punts over the top hoping one might find a target?
I'm not sure how precise passes over the top to our 2 strikers becomes 'hoofing it'.

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 13:46

old git wrote:it always amazes me to read the opposition view.
I always thought 'hoofing it' was defined as long punts over the top hoping one might find a target?
I'm not sure how precise passes over the top to our 2 strikers becomes 'hoofing it'.
Did you go last night chap?

Macca, in particular, was playing some sublime passes to the front two/four (if you include wingers).

Of course we're direct, but why shouldn't we be when you have Christie to hold up or Haseley to beat the line.

The only 'hoof' I see from us is when we (rightly) need to clear our lines. I'm a firm believer in (at any level) defenders clearing firstly. Nothing beats the 'if in doubt, hit it out' cliche. Defenders shouldn't think they're some sort of midfield maestro, that's why they're defenders!