Brigg Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Brigg Updates

Post by YeltzDoc » 11 Jan 2014, 21:26

So, a rare trip to watch us for me and YDJnr.

A 6.5 out of 10 sort of day. We were quiet for the first 10 minutes, mostly due to half of the away support waiting in the food queue but also due to the shock of seeing a fit again Ben on the pitch.

Apparently he had declared himself fit, to the chagrin of his nearest and dearest, but to the not-so-secret delight of the travelling faithful.

He looked sharp and ran down a couple of no-hope balls once we started getting into the match, one brought a lung-busting 15 yard run from Iyseden along the byline that nearly lead to the first goal. The second lost cause, a chase almost half the length of the pitch to force a throw in, ended with a cross which Ben10 slotted under their keeper as though he'd never been away.

His goal celebrations, running past us with one hand clamped over the offending organ, prompted choruses of, "He only needs one eye" from the YeltzMen behing the sticks but I'm not sure that they were greeted as warmly by family Haseley on the sidelines.

We had a good spell, with the Duracell bunny impersonator, Tom Tonks, clipping the angle shortly afterwards with a shot that caused almost as much consternation as his trademark long throws.

We sort of faded in and out, much as my attention to the game did, but we were still having the best of it, and I was learning a lot about the new curry chef in the Perry Hill Tavern, when Brigg broke upfield and scored.
The all-important texts to an inebriated HH and the photo-critical mob on here were still underway when the good ship Christie ploughed forward again and shot a little to close to The Zebra's Krusty impersonator in goal.
A combination of custodial clowning, Iyseden's follow up and Ben's eye for a goal lead to the 'keeper spilling it, and our newly-married marksman tucked the loose ball into the corner for more jollity on the terraces and a deserved 2-1 half time lead.

The pie and peas and a stroll past the Brigg WAGs passed half time in the chilly Lincolnshire air, although special mention must go to Sam Pearson for winning the impromptu crossbar challenge.

Again, the second half started fairly even, with the hosts having the better of it if anything and little to report in the blinding glare of the Hawthorns' Billion Lux Specials.
Michel was giving their left back twisted blood that resulted in a booking for the dizzy defender but this wasn't to be the last time that the ref's cards were out.

After another chance for Ben from an excellent run and cross by Aaron, we started to fade and looked like a side who were content to shut up shop and defend our way to the three points.

Another Brigg burst led to an 'inelegant" challenge from Tonksinio and a second yellow (not that I'd seen the first) and a dismissal that changed the match.
Ben was sacrificed for Ginna and an even more defensive set-up but the inevitable Brigg blockbuster came, with one of their mob striking home into the corner with the Yeltz No 1 rooted to the spot, which didn't endear him to the shivering masses at the other end.

We clung on for the last 15, with few home efforts raising our blood pressure too much but nothing coming at the other end either.

Full-time came and along with the news that Leek lost, we weren't too downhearted. But someone was.
As we filed out of the Humberside Hampden, there was a lone soul, sat head-in-hands, distraught against the boards on the far side.

Tricky Trev tried to coax him back but even our resident joker (or should that be Spiderman) couldn't cajole him and as I left, the gaffer was striding across to console the inconsolable Tom Tonks and bring him back into the fold.

If this is an example of how much it means to the players, perhaps we shouldn't worry about the odd dropped point.

In an age of Premiership Primadonnas and a chequebook culture in our beloved sport, it seems that the current squad care about it all just as much as fans.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 11 Jan 2014, 22:26

Uncle Willy would be envious Doc ;)

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 12 Jan 2014, 13:25

Doc, I'll pay for your fuel, match entrance, soft beverages and even for loss of time away from the good lady Mrs Doc if we can have a match report like that every week where I burst out laughing every paragraph.
You can buy your own mint sauce though.
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 12 Jan 2014, 13:33

YeltzDoc wrote: His goal celebrations, running past us with one hand clamped over the offending organ, prompted choruses of, "He only needs one eye" from the YeltzMen behing the sticks but I'm not sure that they were greeted as warmly by family Haseley on the sidelines.

Full-time came and along with the news that Leek lost, we weren't too downhearted. But someone was.
As we filed out of the Humberside Hampden, there was a lone soul, sat head-in-hands, distraught against the boards on the far side.

Tricky Trev tried to coax him back but even our resident joker (or should that be Spiderman) couldn't cajole him and as I left, the gaffer was striding across to console the inconsolable Tom Tonks and bring him back into the fold.

If this is an example of how much it means to the players, perhaps we shouldn't worry about the odd dropped point.

In an age of Premiership Primadonnas and a chequebook culture in our beloved sport, it seems that the current squad care about it all just as much as fans.
The above extract from Doc's soliloquy shows exactly why I, and all other Yeltz fans, follow our team!
The desire to play for their teammates and fans is exemplified in the attitude shown, on this particular occasion, by Ben Haseley and Tom Tonks - a credit to themselves and the town of Halesowen.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 12 Jan 2014, 18:08

YeltzDoc wrote:So, a rare trip to watch us for me and YDJnr.

A 6.5 out of 10 sort of day. We were quiet for the first 10 minutes, mostly due to half of the away support waiting in the food queue but also due to the shock of seeing a fit again Ben on the pitch.

Apparently he had declared himself fit, to the chagrin of his nearest and dearest, but to the not-so-secret delight of the travelling faithful.

He looked sharp and ran down a couple of no-hope balls once we started getting into the match, one brought a lung-busting 15 yard run from Iyseden along the byline that nearly lead to the first goal. The second lost cause, a chase almost half the length of the pitch to force a throw in, ended with a cross which Ben10 slotted under their keeper as though he'd never been away.

His goal celebrations, running past us with one hand clamped over the offending organ, prompted choruses of, "He only needs one eye" from the YeltzMen behing the sticks but I'm not sure that they were greeted as warmly by family Haseley on the sidelines.

We had a good spell, with the Duracell bunny impersonator, Tom Tonks, clipping the angle shortly afterwards with a shot that caused almost as much consternation as his trademark long throws.

We sort of faded in and out, much as my attention to the game did, but we were still having the best of it, and I was learning a lot about the new curry chef in the Perry Hill Tavern, when Brigg broke upfield and scored.
The all-important texts to an inebriated HH and the photo-critical mob on here were still underway when the good ship Christie ploughed forward again and shot a little to close to The Zebra's Krusty impersonator in goal.
A combination of custodial clowning, Iyseden's follow up and Ben's eye for a goal lead to the 'keeper spilling it, and our newly-married marksman tucked the loose ball into the corner for more jollity on the terraces and a deserved 2-1 half time lead.

The pie and peas and a stroll past the Brigg WAGs passed half time in the chilly Lincolnshire air, although special mention must go to Sam Pearson for winning the impromptu crossbar challenge.

Again, the second half started fairly even, with the hosts having the better of it if anything and little to report in the blinding glare of the Hawthorns' Billion Lux Specials.
Michel was giving their left back twisted blood that resulted in a booking for the dizzy defender but this wasn't to be the last time that the ref's cards were out.

After another chance for Ben from an excellent run and cross by Aaron, we started to fade and looked like a side who were content to shut up shop and defend our way to the three points.

Another Brigg burst led to an 'inelegant" challenge from Tonksinio and a second yellow (not that I'd seen the first) and a dismissal that changed the match.
Ben was sacrificed for Ginna and an even more defensive set-up but the inevitable Brigg blockbuster came, with one of their mob striking home into the corner with the Yeltz No 1 rooted to the spot, which didn't endear him to the shivering masses at the other end.

We clung on for the last 15, with few home efforts raising our blood pressure too much but nothing coming at the other end either.

Truly brilliant post. I, and I'm sure many others echo your sentiments.

Are you after Sports Journalist of the Year or a job on Radio 5Live?

Have a George ...... O0

Do the same next week and you can have another :-*

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 12 Jan 2014, 18:11

Before Brother Avery chips in, you can all see I'm back in (lack of) control of the Blue Boxes ;)

Should I give myself a George?? :-\

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 12 Jan 2014, 18:23

To recall so much of the game was truly brilliant considering how often he was messing about on his phone trying to update the forum. Worthy of two George's in my opinion...
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 12 Jan 2014, 18:41

Thanks for the updates YeltzDoc and thank you for the report, which, I must agree with our good friend AVFC, is worthy of two George's even if I'm not the person to be dishing them out ;)

Gutted to hear Tonks was sent off, but relieved that he will be playing against Coalville, as I believe we really could do with him playing in two night's time.

On the subject of Coalville, it proves to be a HUGE game for both teams, more importantly for us if we aim to be top of the pile on the evening of the 26th April. I'm sure we the lads, who have been outstanding all season, will give us fans a spirited, battling performance on Tuesday. Get yourself down the Grove on Tuesday, the team need your support

#uptheyeltz

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 12 Jan 2014, 22:12

Methinks MR Westy that thou doth too freely distribute "Georges" and furthermore methinks that you give them far too cheaply to your mates.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 13 Jan 2014, 12:30

KenR wrote:Methinks MR Westy that thou doth too freely distribute "Georges" and furthermore methinks that you give them far too cheaply to your mates.
That's why Mr Ken, he only got one.