Sheffield Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Sheffield Updates

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 22 Dec 2013, 14:39

Will we ever be rid?.......even in our current triumphant table-topping mood, he haunts us by being in charge when we were last suffering from vertigo

http://ht-fc.com/history/season-by-seas ... 00708.html

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 22 Dec 2013, 20:16

?? I don't understand what you are trying to say LLL?

Why drag up the past nothing to do with current position, team, management and fans.

Lets enjoy the now and look to the future.

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 22 Dec 2013, 22:16

Great to see us top of the table after such a convincing performance and a well earned win! Sod Leek and there games i hand lets enjoy Christmas day with the uplifting, heart-warming knowledge that WE ARE TOP OF TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!! (By the way, get those tissues out for the nose bleeds ;) )

Anyway, on to the game. It was a brilliant performance at both ends of the field, against a team, it would seem, crumble under pressure and that's exactly what we gave them. Although really, we didn't dominate the game, in fact i was fairly even game. We played some great football on the attack and we had quite a few chances, in fact we looked like we were going to score every time we approached the box. However, Sheffield had the majority of the possession but they were somewhat toothless. Or as Sheffield's twitter page put it, as toothless as my Gran.

It was a good solid defensive performance, and the back four were given a challenging test. However, I feel we gave Sheffield to much freedom of the park and we were slow to close down when they looked dangerous. Despite that however, our defense pulled through at the last second and Sheffield never really looked like scoring.

It was a great team effort and every one of the pitch put the effort required to show this performance. I thought both wingers played very well. JMG was sublime, showed so much skill ad looked a real threat. Griffiths worked very hard as well, he drove forward, created space and played some very nice football. Christie played like the huge beast he was. Tilt, Green, Asa and Hull were strong, solid and never looked like bending despite the pressure they were under. Tonks was outstanding again and not just because of his threatening throw ins! What a player he really is! Mackenzie was also fantastic, such a great player who works very hard and gets the ball down and passes well.

Most comical moment of the game was when the Sheffield keeper kept either scuffing his kicks which ran straight to us or put too much on the ball straight out of play. So a outfielder came to take it and completely sliced the ball straight out of play!

Overall a great performance and a very, very pleasant Christmas prezzie!!!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Dec 2013, 11:48

JohnC wrote:?? I don't understand what you are trying to say LLL?

Why drag up the past nothing to do with current position, team, management and fans.

Chas, please don't even bother to reply. Keep up the great work and keep bombarding us with the stats.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 23 Dec 2013, 12:04

andy wrote:
JohnC wrote:?? I don't understand what you are trying to say LLL?

Chas, please don't even bother to reply. Keep up the great work and keep bombarding us with the stats.
;D

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 23 Dec 2013, 12:52

Actually Andy it's interesting to see different reaction.
I was asked by text at 4.55pm on Saturday afternoon when we were last top of the table, at around the same time it had crossed my mind. I hadn't been at The Grove but was in a car pulling off the Edgar St car park (we'd watched the match against Cambridge) and the guy was texting from Fareham.
When I looked it up yesterday afternoon, I was a little upset to have our jubilation of topping the league tempered a little by seeing who was in charge when we last had done it. Nevertheless, was good to recall Eldon Maquemba play-off semi winner etc.

Like you Andy, and others both local and the length and breadth of the country, I love to recall both the lows and highs of our fantastic football club. At the same time, I reckon there's a good chance that the current management team is as good as any we've had. Obviously the trophies have not yet arrived but it takes time and they are of course, providing the stats to be recalled in future times.

If the majority of opinion was ever that the stats weren't of interest, I can easily keep them to myself.

#uptheyeltz

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 23 Dec 2013, 13:33

Andy and LLL avert eyes in case you are upset. ;) Have a great Christmas one and all. ;D

I do not remember being top of the league when MM in charge. Playoffs yes.

Last time I remember being top of the league was under Holleran.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Dec 2013, 19:41

You're challenging Chas on a stats issue? You're having a laugh. Oh by the way, you're wrong if the sarcasm didn't sink in......

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 23 Dec 2013, 20:14

Our 2007/08 league position as the games progressed:
GAME POSITION
1 12
2 19
3 13
4 14
5 11
6 17
8 11
9 15
10 11
11 13
12 12
13 11
14 12
15 8
16 7
18 6
19 5
22 4
30 3
32 2
33 3
34 2
35 1
37 2
40 1
42 3 into playoffs

Before I checked it out and read DJ's reports in the link provided above, I'd have gone for our 2004/05 start under Paul Holleran
1 6
2 3
3 8
4 3
5 6
6 3
7 2
8 3
9 2
12 1
14 4
15 2
16 1

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 23 Dec 2013, 20:30

Thank you for update. I stand corrected only your early post and link was to failed playoff final. That's
what confused me.

They say memories often forget the bad things and remember the good things.