Carlton Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Carlton Updates

Post by RobYeltz » 24 Aug 2013, 22:01

No need to hit the panic button, remember this is the same bunch of players who looked great pre-season.
Both goals today were comedy defending, the first came from a thrown in and we had a couple of chances to get rid but didn't. Once we got the 10/15 minutes of moaning/whining complaining out of the way and decided to try and play we did much better. An equaliser early second half would have given us the momentum, but we were half asleep. Poor positioning from the back 4 and then a reluctance again to meet the ball before bouncing is all stuff I'm sure the youth team coaches teach the kids, the concentration simply wasn't good enough.
I worry about the central defence, Dan Parker and Gavin Winsper would always be my two central defenders, as they both go and win the ball. With both injured this is a priority for strengthening. I like Brendan Kelly's leadership skills but his lack of pace/mobility paired with his constant 50 yard hoofs upfield mean the strikers are chasing lost causes and the midfield get bypassed.
Kristian Green quite rightly won man of the match today, but Tom Tanks ran him a close second, Tonksy really does lead by example, in my opinion.
An observation of the forwards, I'm not sure if this is a deliberate ploy or not, but I'd like to see whoever is playing up with Ben play a lot closer to him, our forwards always seem to be too far apart and therefore don't link up as much as they should. I'd still like to see us have a big fella play up with Ben to knock some central defenders about a bit!
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 25 Aug 2013, 12:38

Unfortunately I could not be there Saturday. From what I have read glad to hear Winsper's injury may not be too bad and for those not there we did play well and deserve the Lincoln win, we were mugged on Tuesday 2 shots against one goal (for Steve Glass once more, poor officials) their keeper man of the match.

I would re-iterate that the occasional long ball may well catch the opposition out but the majority of the time we need MORE passing and running by ALL the team.

Second match before goal early doors we lose one of our first choice central defence Parker, yesterday we lost Winsper.

TOO early to panic. Like me get to Chasetown and behind the team tomorrow.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 25 Aug 2013, 12:41

I agree it was disappointing, but looking back at the last 2 games we have basically been punished for 3 defensive errors. Yesterdays match turned into a non event once the sending off occurred and we had to revert to 3 at the back, which then stopped us from getting forward in the wide areas. It will become a worry however if we were to lose again tomorrow as this would put a lot of pressure on us going into the F.A Cup tie against a team who are themselves unbeaten so far this season.

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 25 Aug 2013, 18:23

i completely agree with CRH's post - let's not panic and Ben will defo be marked and cut down this season, because defences are frightened of him; Brady is the perfect counter for this and the team need TIME. 3 games in and it's like the sky's gonna fall on our head! Very early days but i don't like the long balls either. JH will fix it!
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 25 Aug 2013, 21:09

I can see everybody saying JMG was not good enough or did not cause 'enough damage'. He didn't because every time he got the ball he had at least two or even three Carlton defenders on him before he could blink. And also the rest of the team gave him no support when he really needed it. JMG just had a rough day. I agree about the comments on Haseley however and I also agree it's going to be more difficult for him this season.

As for the game it took me a lot of guts to stay to the final whistle. 60 minutes in I was considering an exit if I'm honest. I only stayed for the love of the team and that maybe somehow (against all odds) our pressure would tell and we would get a the goal to boost our morale and just maybe get that equalizer. Neither of which came. The game was bloody awful to watch for me but I must say Carlton played well. It was a good solid backs to the wall performance and when they attacked it looked like they we're going to score. But that's no excuse for our 'ball over the top' method of going about the game.Never worked and it never will. It was so frustrating and I thought we were better than that.

On a positive note ( :o ), Kristian Green thoroughly deserved man of the match. He was very good yesterday and hopefully it will continue. Also, there are still, what, 39 games left? Don't panic just yet!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 26 Aug 2013, 09:18

lutleyyeltz wrote:What has gone wrong?
Why are we constantly resorting to the big boot over the top? We played some decent football pre-season, and against Lincoln apparently.
I don't see that the opening two paragraphs above from my post can be construed as; "hitting the panic button."

After such a promising prelude to the season proper, we have resorted to the up and under tactics of a couple of seasons ago. So, I asked the question, "what has gone wrong?" Not exactly panic. ???

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 26 Aug 2013, 20:58

lutleyyeltz wrote:So, I asked the question, "what has gone wrong?"
Nothing O0

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 27 Aug 2013, 08:02

After the Chasetown result - I agree. Humble pie on the menu, methinks! :-[