Stamford Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Stamford Updates

Post by lutleyyeltz » 24 Apr 2013, 09:17

Result - a little disappointing, but what a great game of football to watch!
Tom Warmer thoroughly deserved the MOM award - what a battler he is and with an exceptional eye for a pass.
Our finishing let us down and I agree with AVFCYeltz (on another thread) that we could have put an extra man up for set pieces, towards the end.

No criticism for effort and a treat to have exciting games back at The Grove.

Was the amount of dust from the pitch a dress rehearsal for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022? :-\

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 24 Apr 2013, 10:55

Although mathematically still possible, I'd say its very unlikely we'll be invited to the end of season fun of play offs.

Sutton basically have to lose tonight at Carlton Town, as they have Hucknall and Leek left to play BOTH at home. Chasetown go to Brigg Saturday which is tough and then Coalville. Again, they only need 4 points (due to their GD over us) so need to lose one also. Assuming we get 6 points...... oh and Stamford could lose both of their remaining fixtures......

<CLUTCH AT STRAWS>

Great effort by everyone at the club, and a superb run since the turn of the year. Lets hope we get it from the start next season and who knows.
We do need more on the gate though. 271 must be one of our highest league Tuesday night gates for ages. Lets hope we can get near 400 for the last two matches of the season. Then on to a full season with Johnny Hill's blue and white army.

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 24 Apr 2013, 11:26

Counldn't have put it any better myself Darren. No matter what happens, hopefully keep most of this side together for next season and add a few fresh faces.

Dan Parker is coming into his own now and has been superb at the back recently. Meacham has been very strong! Good to see the team play well together and fight for every ball.

Agree about the gate, nice to see a decent crowd for a Tuesday night! Will fingers crossed see 300+ for the last two home matches.

Steve Glass
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Steve Glass » 24 Apr 2013, 11:48

Yes good to see another really competitive game and although I agree that the ref did not completely control the game, wasn't it nice to see that he allowed reasonable contact and tackles? Constant whinging by them did almost spoil the game but both teams tried really hard and had great team spirit. Thought we were going to be more exposed at right back particularly with our old player Andy Hall pulling some strings but we just about got away with it and credit to Gavin Whinsper for playing out of position.
More goods than bads I reckon and it was a major sign of progress to see the obvious disappointment with all the Yeltz team when they had 'only' got a point against a tough side destined fro the play offs.
Well done!

Carlin
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Carlin » 25 Apr 2013, 21:16

Shame we never had any1 on the bench to come on and grab a winner. Its a big ask for the playoffs now. But to be honest what ever happens i'm chuffed to bits with the progress the club has made on and off the pitch this season. Well done all ;D

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 26 Apr 2013, 07:29

Good game one team playing football (us) the other physical and mouthing off over every decision (Stam). The ref was weak in not dealing with the moaning one yellow card would have stopped most of it.
He also seemed to miss and so do the assistants number 4 for Stamford up close and personal including hanging around Ben's neck all night. Good job it was not one of our strikers with a bad temperament.

Someone said on the way out a fair result. Without numerous first class saves from Evans Stamford did appear to have more shots on target and the pace of them was fast. Well done Evo.
Agree Tom Warmer has deserved man of the match on a few occasions and was like a terrier.

Well done to all the players, management.

Numerically it is still possible for playoffs, there have been many years someone gets in the playoffs on the last day of the season.

COME ON ALL. IT's STILL ON BELIEVE !!!

gingeryeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by gingeryeltz » 26 Apr 2013, 07:50

[quote="JohnC"]
He also seemed to miss and so do the assistants number 4 for Stamford up close and personal including hanging around Ben's neck all night. Good job it was not one of our strikers with a bad temperament./quote]

You only have to look at the photos of the match to see this - shame the ref could not see it and stamp it out early in the game.
I was also annoyed with the inconsistency of the ref as our number 2 Gavin Winsper was booked for a trip but later in the second half Stamford's number 4 tripped one of our players just outside our penalty area and the ref was just laughing with him ! A poor weak ref.