Belper updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Belper updates

Post by old git » 06 Mar 2013, 12:23

ZeeZee wrote:A game ruined by the Ref, the penalty/sending off is very debatable but he also allowed Belpers use of the arms and constant fouls to go largely unpunished until late on, had the Ref stamped on it and been consistant from the start, the outcome could have been very different.

Very proud of the team for the way they stuck at it and battled, typified by Ben who once again gave 110% and never stopped running or gave up on even the slightest chance of getting the ball.
Pleased that the supporters stayed and gave the team the reception they deserved, its good to have an atmosphere building around the Grove again, we probably need to create earlier in the game though!
Just about summed up my thoughts.
The penalty and subsequent sending off altered the game, but I am a philosophical chap and have to believe that he gave it as he saw it, however wrong that was.
But what I can't forgive was his performance from then on !! Belper exploited their 'industrial' tactics to the full, in the growing belief that this clown would allow cynical stopping fouls with gay abandon.
What makes his performance even more abjectly unacceptable was that 5 minutes from the end it was as if a light had switched on in his head and he thought 'hang on a minute, I'd better do something about these cloggers' He then flourished yellow cards, but of course this was too little too late.

The team proved that even with 10 men, if there had been a proper referee instead of this hapless fool then I believe we could have run out comfortable winners in this crucial match.

I just hope the team know that we all thought it was a highly commendable performance in the face of stacked odds.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 06 Mar 2013, 12:27

Despite the disapointment of the result, there were many positives to be taken away.

We created a multitude of good quality chances, the team spirit is great and the supporters are vocally behind the team as shown by the reception given to the team as they came off

A short term setback, but by no means terminal to our hopes. Just compare and contrast to the situation only two years ago when the very existence of football at The Grove looked to be in question

evran
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by evran » 06 Mar 2013, 20:24

lutleyyeltz wrote:To quote Dermott Gallagher, on Sky News this morning: " Whether it be a game at the top level, or a game in the local park, if a referee has to make a decision that will change the game he has to be 100% certain."
Since referees can't be 100% certain about anything where does that leave us?

Surely not giving a penalty or a red card when they should makes just as much difference as giving one when they shouldn't, so if they are more than 50% sure they ought to plump for the decision least likely in their minds to cause injustice?

(You can tell this PSG game is dull.)

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 07 Mar 2013, 07:32

In that case, if the referee can never be 100% certain about a decision, then maybe we should dispense with officials altogether and have a show of hands from the crowd! ???

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 07 Mar 2013, 12:48

lutleyyeltz wrote:In that case, if the referee can never be 100% certain about a decision, then maybe we should dispense with officials altogether and have a show of hands from the crowd! ???
They tried this in the Saudi Arabian Shoplifters League and it was a terrible shambles...

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 08 Mar 2013, 17:25

YeltzDoc wrote:
lutleyyeltz wrote:In that case, if the referee can never be 100% certain about a decision, then maybe we should dispense with officials altogether and have a show of hands from the crowd! ???
They tried this in the Saudi Arabian Shoplifters League and it was a terrible shambles...
Apparently worked well in their cricket league though. When asked "was he stumped?".......