drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Bedworth Updates

Post by drummyb » 16 Aug 2022, 22:04

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 21:34
757 attendance. Not too bad!
Not given the impending apocalypse!!!
Decent performance again I thought. Perhaps toned down a bit by Bedworth, who I thought looked better than the last couple of times Ive seen them. Again we played as a unit though. Difficult to pick MOTM, but I thought Morris was immense. Jack is fast becoming a proper midfielder, trickery on the wing, but also playing passes at the right time, and in Sim and Insall, we have some real pace.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 16 Aug 2022, 22:34

Northern Premier League Midlands – Tuesday, 16th August 2022

Halesowen Town 2 Bedworth United 0

Halesowen chalked up their second straight win of the season with a goal midway through each half, writes DJ. Manager Paul Smith praised his team’s workmanlike performance. “We had a good first 25 minutes and then created a number of good chances in the second half, so it was a pleasing second game of the season for us. We’re a different side now, there’s an energy and tenacity about us and we were well worth the win.”

Nathan Hayward headed just wide as Tom Turton delivered Halesowen’s first corner after 8 minutes and a second Josh Quaynor corner just a minute later was grabbed by giant Bedworth goalkeeper Sam Lomax. Josh Ezewele and Kieran Morris exchanged neat passes to earn a third corner in the 16th minute and Simeon Cobourne then went close a minute later after some trickery in the penalty area, only for Greenbacks’ captain William Edjenguele to block his shot.

Ezewele made a vital challenge at the other end when Jazz Luckie ran into the penalty area but Halesowen created further chances with Richard Gregory going close after 21 minutes and a low 23rd minute shot from Jack Holmes was saved by Lomax before Tyler Haddow flashed a 25 yard shot past Dan Platt’s post.

Halesowen went on to take a deserved 28th minute lead when Quaynor did well to find COBOURNE down the right and his hard, low 15 yard shot beat Lomax at his near post.

The home defence continued to look strong and home captain Rob Evans made a good 36th minute clearance when Eesa Sawyers surged into the penalty area from his own half. But Halesowen always looked likely to find further goals and before the interval a low Holmes shot was saved by Lomax’s fingertips and a 45th minute deflection off Cobourne almost fell into Bedworth’s net. The ball then somehow stayed out of the Bedworth net when Turton’s 58th minute corner tangled up in Cobourne’s feet on the line. Bedworth never gave up and the Greenbacks went close to equalising in the 59th minute when the ball fell kindly for Sawyers, only for Platt to make a great blocking save for a corner in a one-on-one.

The Yeltz then went mightily close to doubling the lead in the 64th minute after Ezewele did well and laid the ball off for Gregory to pick his spot, but Gregory’s seemingly goal-bound shot cannoned back off the post and goalkeeper Lomax kept out Jamie Insall’s follow up with his feet. However, the wait for the second goal wasn’t too long following good work on the right from Holmes and his 67th minute cross along goal was slammed home by INSALL from close range.

Substitute Richard Smith was unlucky not to add a third goal when his effort was cleared off the line in the 79th minute after Insall broke free and squared the ball.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Josh Ezewele, Josh Quaynor, Tom Turton (Nat Kelly 74), Kieran Morris, Rob Evans (c), Jack Holmes, Nathan Hayward, Jamie Insall (Matt Funge 80), Richard Gregory (Richard Smith 69), Simeon Cobourne. Subs Not Used: Dexter Dudley-Toole, Bailey Fuller.

Bedworth United: Sam Lomax; Joseph Smith (Richard Blythe 11), Luke Rowe, Elliot Parrott, William Edjenguele (c), Kyle Barnett, Liam Lockett, Max Johnson, Jazz Luckie (Liam Murphy 68), Tyler Haddow (James Sanderson 83), Eesa Sawyers. Subs Not Used: Reece Blackmore, Khaellem Bailey-Nicholls.

Referee: Joshua Brookland Attendance: 757
Booked: Haddow (52), Quaynor (86)

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 16 Aug 2022, 22:59

This idea that we may be more of a 'team' now is starting to show. No particular stand outs but a good functioning unit. This will serve us well in the games where we really need to dig in to get a result. Jack Holmes is now laying off passes much earlier and still troubling defenders with his skills when necessary, great to see. Work rate from every player especially Insall is right up there, great to see. Platt looks bang up for it as ever, a great Peter Schmeichel esque block tonight, great to see. Still keeping the powder dry predictionwise this year until we've played a real tough team, but did I mention at the moment it's great to see?
Well done lads.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 17 Aug 2022, 01:03

A very professional and assured performance by us tonight. It was by no means spectacular but felt we controlled the game and looked comfortable. We probably could have got a few more to make it look even more convincing but it was a tough game in horrible conditions the second half and Bedworth were certainly no mugs. Will certainly take that though at this early stage and was also pleasing to see us keep a clean sheet too!

It’s still early days as the two games we have played so far were both winnable on paper however I do agree on the comments about us being more of a ‘team’ unit and up for the battle this season. I still maintain that footballing wise the squad is not as strong player for player as last season but I am coming round to the idea that we do have a group of players that seemingly will now dig in and fight when the going gets tough. Let’s hope they live up to that reputation when the situation arises.

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 17 Aug 2022, 10:18

Early days and on paper we’d expect two wins if we want to challenge for promotion, however, the way we’ve gone about both games is very very encouraging.

We’ve seemingly hardened up and lost the soft underbelly that saw us lose daft home games last season that ultimately put us in the play offs.

We literally have six or seven captains out there with leaders in all areas of the pitch and a team spirit I’ve never seen the like of before. Insall, Gregory, Platt and Evans are born generals who never stop talking along with some real quality and pace in both defence and attack.

It’s early, but the signs are good with us going through two winnable but also challenging games in terms of opposition and conditions. A decisive win in 35 degree heat on a plastic pitch followed by a routine win on a surface that was greasy as hell thanks to the first rain in weeks isn’t to be underestimated.

We look good. Very good.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 17 Aug 2022, 12:13

Impressive display – that’s more like the Yeltz I expect under Paul, and probably as close to the FA Trophy season levels of performance as we’ve seen in a while.

Other than a 20min spell just after our goal, and at the beginning of the second half, we were in complete control, and could have scored 6 or 7 goals. The game management after we scored the second was excellent.

The front 3, particularly Sim, caused Bedworth no end of problems, just as they did on Saturday against Harborough (who ran Stamford close, at Stamford, last night), and we created so many chances. Being critical, I want to see us convert more chances, so we don’t let the opposition back into the game, which could have easily been the case, but for a wonderful stop by Platt at the start of the second half.

As with the starting XI the front three is showing a good balance to it after the opening two matches. Sim’s pace is tearing teams apart, Gregory is the hold-up option and can bully defenders, and Insall makes a lot of intelligent runs, and is a great link between midfield and attack.

You’ve also got Jack Holmes playing as well as he has ever done for us. His play for Insall’s goal is everything we know he can do, and hopefully this is the beginning of consistency and producing end product, which he is more than capable of. Maybe he will flourish being the main midfield creator, rather than sharing and competing for that role as he did with the likes of Lait and Finn last season. I don’t know what the opposition could do to counteract these four if they stay fit and keep up the early form they shown? And this is before you add Manning into the equation.

I’d echo what Vanessa has mentioned about the conditions. The second half turned into a scrappy and niggly affair due to the rain, yet we battled, and stood up to Bedworth, which we wouldn’t have done last season – I suspect we would have rolled over and let them get a result. But this team looks like they won’t be intimidated by the opposition. Dare I mention how good it was to see our players surround the referee when there was a heavy challenge? I don’t necessarily like teams doing that, but it shows we’re willing to commit to the dark arts of the game – which we need to do more of.

Man of the match for me, again, was Cobourne. But special mentions to Ezewele (Superb signing, and has allowed us to play Evo at centre half, which is a massive bonus) and Hayward, those three stood out in a team of good performances.

A good, and solid start, but it’s exactly that – a start. I'm feeling cautiously positive about this season. There’s some encouraging early signs.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 17 Aug 2022, 12:54

I think most on here have already picked up on the main points of last night. The way that we set up to play puts a huge responsibility on Turton and Hayward but what a two they are! Hayward's energy and running is probably only matched by Insall. Turton's has a very good footballing brain, his understanding of where to be along with his excellent range of passing is ideally suited alongside Hayward. I was disappointed when Hawker decided to leave but in Turton dare I say we have just as good a player. I do think at times that Insall makes runs that team mates aren't yet reading, when they click and start reading his runs I think we'll see us create even more opportunities. Seeing the introduction of Nat Kelly late last night too at LB gave us that extra bit of height to help see out their aerial threat and help keep a clean sheet, was this a lesson learnt from Saturday?
With an FA cup tie on Saturday, will we see a number of changes to the team or will the management keep the continuity and the majority of the team the same? Whatever, a win is imperative to try and get a good FA Cup run this season.

Only downside for me last night was the 'Watta we fink of Stourbr*dge?' chant. I personally don't give a toss about them unless we're playing them. It's unnecessary, sounds crap and has no benefit in supporting our lads. (Moan over)
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 17 Aug 2022, 13:13

Tbf the crap chants were rare and died out pretty quickly, it was certainly better now that little gang with the lead singer who sounded like Alvin the chipmunk didn’t fancy giving their ID’s away to the club.

The tunnel area was a great place to stand again last night.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 17 Aug 2022, 13:17

Announce Alvin the Chipmunk Yeltz mascot.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz