Stratford Pt 1.

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 445
Joined: 06 Aug 2014, 21:14
Location: Cradley, Halesowen

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by dalevillain » 11 Sep 2019, 07:11

Another interesting point to mention was the inclusion of one of the under 21’s Joab Wheatley in the starting line up - how many times in the past have we said our youth team should be involved more in the first team?

Great to see youth being given a chance and first team experiences in the likes of these cup competitions.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 13:58

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Sep 2019, 07:29

dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:11
Another interesting point to mention was the inclusion of one of the under 21’s Joab Wheatley in the starting line up - how many times in the past have we said our youth team should be involved more in the first team?

Great to see youth being given a chance and first team experiences in the likes of these cup competitions.
It's great to see Smith take note of our youth set up and even better to see them given a chance in the senior side.

I've been crying out for this since the youth sides were set up.

It helps when the manager takes time to watch the youth games! And, if any youth player is given a chance and gets into the starting XI, they must be bloody good, because this squad ain't too bad.
Last edited by AwayDayYeltz on 11 Sep 2019, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 13:58

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Sep 2019, 07:35

dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 00:07
Great result tonight - judging by the stats and updates on here/Twitter seemed like we deserved it too.

I’ve said this numerous times over the years and make no apologies about saying it again - there is no such thing as a meaningless cup game imo and winning in any competition brings confidence.

Yes of course the league is the bread and butter and promotion is the ultimate aim and obviously the FA Cup/Trophy generate more money financially to the club but these lesser cups are still there as a chance of silverware and us Yeltz fans have been deprived of a good cup run in pretty much anything in the last decade and probably beyond.

As the gaffer said we’ve got a good squad to compete on all fronts this season and there were a few changes to the side tonight and those that came in did their job and that means competition for places will be strong which is all positive.
Pretty much agree with this. I always have a 'can't be bothered with the Micky Mouse cup' attitude. But I found myself refreshing social media pages for the latest updates. Winning is always great and becomes a habit - much like losing has been a habit for us in the previous four or so seasons.

The squad does look strong, and should only get stronger the more games they play.

Look at the bench last night and the previous Tuesday - Molyneux and Montel on there! And it's not as if we've lost quality in the starting XI, either.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 13:58

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Sep 2019, 07:40

Isn't the final of this competition played at a professional league ground? I seem to recall St Andrews and some hell hole in Stoke being used in previous years.

Come to think of it, that could've been the Senior Cup?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 445
Joined: 06 Aug 2014, 21:14
Location: Cradley, Halesowen

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by dalevillain » 11 Sep 2019, 07:54

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:29
dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:11
Another interesting point to mention was the inclusion of one of the under 21’s Joab Wheatley in the starting line up - how many times in the past have we said our youth team should be involved more in the first team?

Great to see youth being given a chance and first team experiences in the likes of these cup competitions.
It's great to see Smith take note of our youth set up and even better to see them given a chance in the senior side.

I've been crying out for this since the youth sides were set up.

It helps when the manager takes time to watch the youth games! And, if any youth player is given a chance and gets into the starting XI, they must be bloody good, because this squad ain't too bad.
Agreed. I think we said pretty much instead of the pointless Friday signings, why not throw one or two of the youth players in last season? They would have given more for the club and would have been no worse than some of the dross we signed.

Anyway, it’s a whole new world these days!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 445
Joined: 06 Aug 2014, 21:14
Location: Cradley, Halesowen

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by dalevillain » 11 Sep 2019, 07:55

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:40
Isn't the final of this competition played at a professional league ground? I seem to recall St Andrews and some hell hole in Stoke being used in previous years.

Come to think of it, that could've been the Senior Cup?
Think that was the Senior Cup. Sure one of the older anoraks on here would be able to confirm ;)

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 13:58

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Sep 2019, 07:57

dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:55
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:40
Isn't the final of this competition played at a professional league ground? I seem to recall St Andrews and some hell hole in Stoke being used in previous years.

Come to think of it, that could've been the Senior Cup?
Think that was the Senior Cup. Sure one of the older anoraks on here would be able to confirm ;)
Andy? Welshy?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 13:58

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Sep 2019, 07:59

dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:54
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:29
dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:11
Another interesting point to mention was the inclusion of one of the under 21’s Joab Wheatley in the starting line up - how many times in the past have we said our youth team should be involved more in the first team?

Great to see youth being given a chance and first team experiences in the likes of these cup competitions.
It's great to see Smith take note of our youth set up and even better to see them given a chance in the senior side.

I've been crying out for this since the youth sides were set up.

It helps when the manager takes time to watch the youth games! And, if any youth player is given a chance and gets into the starting XI, they must be bloody good, because this squad ain't too bad.
Agreed. I think we said pretty much instead of the pointless Friday signings, why not throw one or two of the youth players in last season? They would have given more for the club and would have been no worse than some of the dross we signed.

Anyway, it’s a whole new world these days!
I know it's gone, but it must've been disheartening for a youth team player to see the absolute dross on the pitch, the previous two seasons, in particular, and not be given a chance. As you say, they couldn't have done any worse than the players that were playing!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

crezza94
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 112
Joined: 11 May 2011, 18:05

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by crezza94 » 11 Sep 2019, 09:03

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:35
dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 00:07
Great result tonight - judging by the stats and updates on here/Twitter seemed like we deserved it too.

I’ve said this numerous times over the years and make no apologies about saying it again - there is no such thing as a meaningless cup game imo and winning in any competition brings confidence.

Yes of course the league is the bread and butter and promotion is the ultimate aim and obviously the FA Cup/Trophy generate more money financially to the club but these lesser cups are still there as a chance of silverware and us Yeltz fans have been deprived of a good cup run in pretty much anything in the last decade and probably beyond.

As the gaffer said we’ve got a good squad to compete on all fronts this season and there were a few changes to the side tonight and those that came in did their job and that means competition for places will be strong which is all positive.
Pretty much agree with this. I always have a 'can't be bothered with the Micky Mouse cup' attitude. But I found myself refreshing social media pages for the latest updates. Winning is always great and becomes a habit - much like losing has been a habit for us in the previous four or so seasons.

The squad does look strong, and should only get stronger the more games they play.

Look at the bench last night and the previous Tuesday - Molyneux and Montel on there! And it's not as if we've lost quality in the starting XI, either.
I think taking these games relatively seriously is important to maintain the squads form. What an incentive for the youth team lads knowing that with hard work and determination they can be given a chance representing the first team and integrating with those they look up to. Even more of an incentive in the senior cups when finals are held at big league clubs! The togetherness that Paul Smith has bounded within the club is great! Long may it continue!

Side note was interesting listening to a podcast of former Rushall and Staffords Neil Kitching regarding league and senior cups and how he always took them seriously! Bar the league, realistically it’s the closest most clubs will get to any type of silverware and how that success even at senior cup level brought in much needed financial support from new businesses sponsoring.

User avatar
andy
Yeltz Forum Member
Posts: 3815
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 18:43

Re: Stratford Pt 1.

Post by andy » 11 Sep 2019, 10:41

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:57
dalevillain wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:55
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:40
Isn't the final of this competition played at a professional league ground? I seem to recall St Andrews and some hell hole in Stoke being used in previous years.

Come to think of it, that could've been the Senior Cup?
Think that was the Senior Cup. Sure one of the older anoraks on here would be able to confirm ;)
Andy? Welshy?
Birmingham Senior Cup. When we used to enter the Staffs Cup I think that used to have finals on league grounds on occasions.
Isn't the League Cup final over 2 legs? It used to be. I'm sure I remember going to Crawley many moons ago for a final second leg.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Post Reply