What ACTUALLY went wrong?

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: What ACTUALLY went wrong?

Post by lutleyyeltz » 17 Mar 2024, 07:39

If the progress of our season had been reversed, i.e. after a dreadful start we improved quickly and climbed the table steadily, then, with only 6 games to go we were in 9th place, maybe our view of things would be entirely different.
Just a thought.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Mar 2024, 15:44

Undoubtedly. If we were top and stayed there all season they would too :)

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 18 Mar 2024, 11:36

lutleyyeltz wrote: โ†‘
17 Mar 2024, 07:39
If the progress of our season had been reversed, i.e. after a dreadful start we improved quickly and climbed the table steadily, then, with only 6 games to go we were in 9th place, maybe our view of things would be entirely different.
Just a thought.
Very true. However, the former scenario implies that the manager has lost his way and players no longer played for him/lost confidence. Frustrated and disappointed fans. Whereas the latter implies the manager saw the issues that resulted in the hypothetical poor form, fixed them, and turned form around. Happy and hopeful fans.

As I've continuously stated in my posts - the league position has never been an issue, rather the direction the team has been heading in. A rot set in that we had seemingly little hope of arresting.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 21 Mar 2024, 07:41

Josh1873 wrote: โ†‘
04 Mar 2024, 10:59
I'm genuinely confused as to how you can not see that something has gone wrong? It's not an opinion or a subjective view. It's a fact. There is no arguing against it.

We started the season as follows; Position 2nd P9 W5 D4 L0 Pts 19
Since then we have gone; Position 11th P22 W6 D4 L12 Pts 22

Let's be very blunt and honest here, this isn't a one off, or something that has happened because we're at a higher level, this has been a theme during Smith's time here. There is clearly something about his management style that lends itself to a good start, but somewhere down the line something happens that he just cannot fix. Luckily we possessed superior quality at the level below to scrape results and maintain a healthy league position, however we aren't afforded that luxury at our current level. Let's not let promotion cloud our memories, there was a clear dip in performances in each of the two previous season once we suffered the first league defeat.

As I've said time and time again, I did not expect this seasons start to continue, and I expected some drop off. But I didn't expect a complete implosion, either. And no, this isn't some witch hunt against Paul Smith. However, by his own admission something had to change. Clearly Keith agreed too. Fans haven't hounded him out, or whatever narrative it is YeltzBaby is trying to spin. Keith is an astute man and has this clubs best interests at heart, this decision was made with his own mind and with (assumingly) a frank and honest conversation with Paul, where it was agreed it was best for all parties to move on. There is no way Keith would have been influenced by a few Twatter posts or what us idiots on here say! So let's put that argument to bed.

So, to answer Andy's question what went wrong? It's difficult to answer, if it was easy then Paul would have worked it out. There are, however a few things that I believe led to our downfall:

- Constant chopping and changing of players. You need a consistent XI, injuries, suspensions and loss of individual player form permitting. This is something I hope Penn addresses. Assess your squad, pick your best XI and stick with it.
- We have a quality squad, I maintain that, however we have too many players of similar abilities and the same type of player. We need a more varied group of players that each bring something different to the squad. It's all a bit samey. We sub off one player and basically bring on a carbon copy player on.
- Set pieces/coaching. How many times have we conceded from a set piece? How often have we scored from a set piece? Even during our excellent start this, as well as conceding sloppy goals, was a worrying theme. It hasn't been addressed despite a turnover in personnel.
- What is worked on in training? I've heard worrying stories about our training from multiple people. It could, of course, be bullshit, but it would explain a lot if they are true.
- Fractured dressing room? The players don't seem to like each other on the pitch, maybe I'm reading too much into body language, but the attitude of some players, particularly when we go a goal down, doesn't seem right to me.
- Paul seems to be 'one of the lads', for example going away on holiday during post season with some of the squad. Has this bred a laid back and complacent attitude between players and manager? Do the players take playing for this club seriously enough, or do they see it as a laugh with their clique?

Would I have taken 10th at this stage of the season way back I August? Yes. But I do not accept that all is well and that nothing needed to change. It has gone wrong, and the club have made the correct decision to move on from Smith.

I don't recall seeing any unrealistic expectations, either. Has anyone said they expect us to win the league or achieve promotion? I believe the highest expectation I've seen is for us to be in the play-off positions. That's a little too far, for me, but at the same time, it shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility.
Told ya he left becuase of fan pressure......which as you all know was unjustified in my opinion.

Ngarner1983
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Ngarner1983 » 21 Mar 2024, 08:08

Heโ€™s wrote his statement so it must be true and we must believe it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, give your head a wobble !!!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 Mar 2024, 10:30

Yeltzbaby wrote: โ†‘
21 Mar 2024, 07:41

Told ya he left becuase of fan pressure......which as you all know was unjustified in my opinion.
Strange how you seem to have stopped posting about games recently with Paul gone. Was I right all along?
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

iangers
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by iangers » 21 Mar 2024, 10:36

Having just read Mr Smiths borderline petulant post I think itโ€™s obvious his departure was very much for the best. If the โ€œpressureโ€ of half a dozen disheartened fans having the temerity to question his leadership was enough to lead him to go, I dread to think how he would have reacted to a whole Shed End giving him some stick. That is what it would have come to if the trajectory continued in the direction it was most certainly headed.
Not sure about the rewriting of the history books either. I clearly remember a dip in each of the last 2 seasons.
Time to move onโ€ฆ.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 21 Mar 2024, 14:29

andy wrote: โ†‘
21 Mar 2024, 10:30
Yeltzbaby wrote: โ†‘
21 Mar 2024, 07:41

Strange how you seem to have stopped posting about games recently with Paul gone. Was I right all along?

Yep

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 21 Mar 2024, 14:42

Ngarner1983 wrote: โ†‘
21 Mar 2024, 08:08
Heโ€™s wrote his statement so it must be true and we must believe it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, give your head a wobble !!!
Just saying I was right (again). We have just been through one of the best periods in our history, let's hope now with a new manager on board we can do even better

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 21 Mar 2024, 14:48

Is this statement only available on Twatter??? Be interested to read.