Russ Penn interview.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Paul Smith "Stands Down" - Russ Penn in.

Post by lutleyyeltz » 27 Feb 2024, 14:22

drummyb wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 13:32
Thank you Lutley. Not a huge amount of managerial experience and still a young man really. Clearly he impressed at Kiddy. Id imagine this has been coming for a while in the background.
He's been seen at the last few home games

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 27 Feb 2024, 15:51

I do feel a hint of sadness. Whilst this is 100% the correct decision, I actually like Paul (Despite what other people seem to believe!). Seeing him lose a job he clearly loves is harsh, but it is what was needed. We couldn't carry on as we were, and we desperately needed change in order to move forwards. This may reflect poorly on me as a person, but I seriously believe there can be no loyalty in football - No matter what was achieved before. I'll just re-post a paragraph I posted in the Royston thread. I mean every word of it. Thanks for all your efforts Paul.

Paul Smith has been a breath of fresh air for this club after the dark days of John Hill and Lynch. I'm so grateful for the hard work he has put in in galvanising our club and he has played a huge part in where we are now. Just look at the attendances, the improvement around the ground and just the general feel about the club. I'm genuinely grateful for that and appreciative that Paul has brought many good things to Halesowen.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 27 Feb 2024, 15:53

It's a statement of intent, that's for sure. Let's hope that Russ can do something that no-one has ever done and get us into the National League!

And I'm glad Paul is sticking around, at least for the short term. He divided opinion but deserves a lot of thanks and respect for what he did for us. Those four figure crowds we almost take for granted are down to him.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 27 Feb 2024, 16:37

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 15:53
Let's hope that Russ can do something that no-one has ever done and get us into the National League!
Really? I thought we belonged there.................

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Feb 2024, 17:28

HalesowenHarry wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 16:37
Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 15:53
Let's hope that Russ can do something that no-one has ever done and get us into the National League!
Really? I thought we belonged there.................
Quite honestly when I look at the teams in the North and South I believe we do!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 27 Feb 2024, 17:35

Belonging is the wrong word. No team, at any level, has a right to be in a specific league. However, we wouldn't look out of place in the North/South league, we have the fan base and ground that would fit in well, and maybe even at the National League level? That being said the National League is becoming more and more like the fifth tier of league football. Some of the teams, fan bases and grounds at that level are ridiculous. So the latter part of my statement may be a stretch.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 27 Feb 2024, 18:34

A sad day really. Paul was our most successful manager in my 41 years at the club, but in football everybody eventually has their day.
We now have another young and hungry manager in Russ.
Onward and upward.

GreySquirrel
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by GreySquirrel » 27 Feb 2024, 18:35

The best of times

Paddy Page
John Morris
Stuart Hall
Brendan Philips
Paul Holleran (yes I enjoyed his tenure)
Paul Smith

The latter the best of all in my opinion. Many others will disagree.

All have probably frustrated me on occasions but those memories soon dissipate. I can no longer remember the circumstances regarding any of their departures except Paddy who ‘created a monster out of control’.

The monster is now back so thank you Paul Smith. Let’s hope Russ Penn can take the baton on just like John Morris did. After all I went to school with his dad.

Onwards and upwards.
Thanks for coming!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 27 Feb 2024, 19:14

Maybe this will re-energise the players for a back end of season surge?
Paul did us proud for 5 seasons, but seemed to have lost his way, of late.
As others have said - "onwards and upwards!"

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 27 Feb 2024, 20:22

Really sad to hear this news but the clubs best interests are the important thing.
Good to see it seems a very amicable split with Paul staying involved for the time being.

Biggest thanks to Paul from me are the way he turned us round just over 12 months ago when we were stuttering in our promotion campaign and reignited us to set in the play off final and that memorable win.

Thanks for everything Paul and all the best for the future.