My All Time Yeltz Best 11

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
cripcrap
Yeltz Forum Member

My All Time Yeltz Best 11

Post by cripcrap » 31 Jan 2024, 16:10

In recent weeks my mind has been guided to the land of the Yeltz legends, begun by the passing of Paddy Page. Then, I was emailed an article meant for the match-day programme, written by Philip Passey. A question and answer session with Malcolm Hazlewood, an undoubted Yeltz legend, who would sit in most Yeltz fans, Halesowen Town best 11 of all time. It was with that thought that I, inevitably speculated on how my best Yeltz 11 might look.

Consider first, the team formation. I found that part quite easy. With the right selection, the formation can be flexible. I’d begin with a 3-4-3, making it easy to drop to a 4-3-3 or even a 3-5-2. Any past players selected, must have played for the Club, beyond one season. That would rule out individuals who would otherwise be best 11 shoe-ins. To list a few; Dean Spink, Jim Rodwell or Andy Lloyd. I’ve always thought, legend status requires a degree of longevity at the Club.

So, here we go.
The goal keeping position was one of my easiest choices, in Phil Caldicott. You could make good cases for; Dan Platt, Danny McDonnell or Tim Clarke. Phil and Tim both had a huge presence in their own penalty area and all four have good clean sheet records. Phil would give the side an added attacking option. He had a variety of accurate kicks, which had opponents on the back foot, defending their own box. With modern balls, he’d be a bigger threat.

A back three
Two out of the three was an easy choice, in Phil Wood and Eric Smith. My third choice is arguably more controversial, given his preferred position was as left-back but could and did play in central-defence. With his inclusion in a back three, it makes reverting to a back four so much easier.

In starting as a back four, Mark Penn would be in my 11 as right-back. He’s unlucky to miss out, being the best in that position by some margin.

A front three
Avoiding the midfield, for now. The front three offers straightforward choices. It was often said that Lee and Paul Joinson had a telepathic understanding. Only they knew if it existed but having seen most of their Yeltz games together, I’d argue the myth to be true. Who to join them in a front three, is a pick one from two. Geoff Moss; 151 goals from 418 or Kevin Harrison; 97 goals from 303 at level 2. I’ve gone with Kevin, who might offer better options when Lee dropped into a midfield 5.

A midfield four
All four choices are a bit on the contentious side. I try to see my brother, Stuart Edmonds as just another Yeltz player but with him on the left of midfield, it gave Lee more freedom to attack the box. Stuart was also, very quick and could hit the bar with either foot. He scored 27 from 161 and hit the bar too often to count.
Less contentiously, on the right would be Sean Flynn. He offers the option to drop back to right-back, giving a back four. Sean was combative and quick and probably my easiest choice of the four.
I could have easily gone with the easy central midfield pairing of Paul Birch and Malcolm Hazlewood but controversially, I’d go with Richard Crisp rather than Malcolm.
Who’d manage my 11
It’s a choice of one from four. Paddy Page, John Morris, Stuart Hall and Paul Smith. A case could be made for any one of the four but Paddy was a genius and ahead of his time

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: My All Time Yeltz Best 11

Post by Seamus » 31 Jan 2024, 17:12

Is the third but unnamed & controversial defender Stuart Cash ?

cripcrap
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by cripcrap » 31 Jan 2024, 18:08

yes

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 31 Jan 2024, 20:28

Great thread. I think we've had it before and it would certainly be no less contentious now. I have to say I don't agree with some of your choices but it would have made a great team. One major flaw though, Caldicott for Danny? Never.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 01 Feb 2024, 07:02

Great thread. Totally wrong choice, obviously, but still a great thread. 😉

My choices would be from the same era too. Strange how nostalgia works. I do wonder what the current stars and those of the last decade would have done in the ‘80s team.
Just as with the professional game, I’m sure our lads are fitter and better now than 40 years ago and would probably look very different in teams of that time.

But a pretty easy choice still -

Danny
Penner
Cashy
Andy Pearce
Eric Smith
Malcolm (c)
Flynny
Snapper
Lee
Paul
Geoff

Bench of Deano, Birchy, Crispy, Andy Bradley

That midfield would be unbelievable, the balance and individual skills would be…. Wow….

There’s a lot on here who never saw Malcolm play, I can’t praise him enough. Goals, drive, range of passing, nastiness, took the free kicks, penalties, the lot. What a player.
We should have a tifosi just with, “Hold Hold” on it.
If you know, you know.

Nobody from this millennium, I must be an old crumbly bastard…

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 01 Feb 2024, 07:14

In an attempt to be less of a dinosaur, a mention for the current mob.
Platty probably comes second to Danny, Nathan is a Snapper-like machine, the lad Parker is too good for us and will deffo move up, and I think I’m in love with Jack, my favourite player of the last 10 years.

Does that help?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 01 Feb 2024, 08:09

YeltzDoc wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 07:02
Great thread. Totally wrong choice, obviously, but still a great thread. 😉

My choices would be from the same era too. Strange how nostalgia works. I do wonder what the current stars and those of the last decade would have done in the ‘80s team.
Just as with the professional game, I’m sure our lads are fitter and better now than 40 years ago and would probably look very different in teams of that time.

But a pretty easy choice still -

Danny
Penner
Cashy
Andy Pearce
Eric Smith
Malcolm (c)
Flynny
Snapper
Lee
Paul
Geoff

Bench of Deano, Birchy, Crispy, Andy Bradley

[/quote

That's deffo a better side.
But, "should have a tifosi just with, “Hold Hold” on it." Try a striscione. ;)
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 01 Feb 2024, 08:57

McDonnell
Penn Culwick Pearce
Malcolm Birch (c) Adams Flynn
Lee Deano Paul

Piearce, Haseley, Snapper, Coldicott, Cash, Alec Wood, Anderson, Roberts…. Many more subs, choosing is impossible!

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 01 Feb 2024, 10:01

Danny McConnell
Mark Penn
Les Hines
Eric Smith
Phil Wood
Mark Taylor
Marholm Hazelwood (captain)
Paul Birch
Paul Joinson
Lee Joinson
Sean Flynn

Subs

Jim Rodwell
Alex Cowley
John Snape
Kevin Harrison
Ben Haseley

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 01 Feb 2024, 12:33

Here goes:

Danny McDonnell
Kristian Green
Curtis Tilt
Rob Evans
Les Hines
Snapper
Paul Birch
Mark Taylor
Stefan Moore
Steve Piearce
Ben Haseley

Probably a bit of sentimentalism in some of these choices and, as a point of deference to the Werther's Original Crew (;D ), I can actually remember watching Paul Joinson and Malcolm in my very first few years through (or, technically, over) the turnstiles, but probably not a good enough memory to critique them. Malcolm did score one from the half-way line over a stranded keeper at the SRE, which was one of my first memories (anybody else remember that?).

Also- Todd Parker was very nearly thrown into the mix here - possibly a bit generous to earn him a place in the greatest XI of all time on half a season, but that's how highly I rate him.