wednesburystokie
Yeltz Forum Member

Retro

Post by wednesburystokie » 14 Sep 2023, 18:17

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Retro

Post by drummyb » 14 Sep 2023, 21:13

Is it time for my "drawn by a 6 year old" comment already??
Bwah ha haaaa
;) ;D :D >:D

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 15 Sep 2023, 08:20

Too much teasing. When is it out? When can we order? ;D ;D ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 15 Sep 2023, 15:08

Money is literally straining to get out of my purse.

There's some discussion on the TwittersX about new vs old. I must admit that I've been one of the old mitherers who haven't bought anything (other than a Flexi ST) with the "new" badge on it.
But just for context, for me, and I suspect others, the situation is thus.

I've no issue with badges, logos, even club colours being, "refreshed". I had all of the white / black / black and yellow shirts of the '90s and it wasn't a huge issue to me at the time.
The issue with the new badge isn't one of design, it's to do with the arrogance of intent.
Our owner at the time changed it without any consultation with the greater fanbase, despite their being a plethora of channels through which to do so.
And as such, it will always be seen by me (and others) as a sign of his hubris, as well as being a massive own-goal, ignoring the opportunity to engage and involve the support, and to come to a joint decision with all of the positive features of the greater feeling of "ownership" that this would engender.
The green shirts fall into this category too I'm afraid, even though I like them.

I always thought that the old badge was too, "bitty", especially when rendered in stitching, but conversely the new one is too "emoji" and generic - wasn't there someone else with exactly the same design? It should be sort of noted here too, that the "old" badge didn't appear until the mid-80s, so perhaps wasn't that old after all, but at least it was more recognisably pertinent to the town.

But, vox populi, vox Dei, and if there had been a vote at the time, with a few options on the table, and current one was chosen, fairy-nuff.
I know that there was a vote of sorts about a switch back, which ended in a most unlikely tie, but it's not quite the same as I suspect many sane souls took into account the costs of new signage etc, which, even with the mates-rates of the excellent Tulleys Print, would still run to a tidy penny.

So the curmudgeonliness will continue until the next "refresh" but the opportunity to bedeck myself in correctly branded fire-risks is greatly welcomed as yet another thing that the club are doing right.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 15 Sep 2023, 15:43

I would be delighted to buy the "retro" material but absolutely refuse to buy anything except tickets bearing the party hat. Totally with Doc in his linkage between the era of its creation and manner of its imposition.

As I have asked before, if it is such a success, why has the creator not claimed all the credit? The reason is simple, it is a total embarrassment and a scar upon this fine club

ginger dynamo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by ginger dynamo » 15 Sep 2023, 16:08

I was worried that there wouldn't be a retro range this season so delighted that there is. Now please take my money.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 15 Sep 2023, 16:33

update via Dave Hawley
They will be available to order via Ace soon, with an approx 5 week lead time

MichaelGrove
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by MichaelGrove » 15 Sep 2023, 18:49

Seems green shirt came from this…

An Italian Serie A club also sponsored by Mapei

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 15 Sep 2023, 19:00

Ah! That’s excellent, and now I can like it with no conflict.

The original green shirts came from the same owner because of his heritage and love of Celtic.
But we can claim that we have it now because of Sassuolo so I’m pleased that it’s from a beneficial alliance and that we can now claim Milanese kinship with our brothers in Lombardy.

Vespers on the Earls island, Fellini season at the Cradley Royal, tiramisu cobs in The Waggon…
Ciao Bella!

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 15 Sep 2023, 19:45

And I'm far too young to remember but I don't believe the much saught after old badge was even on the 1983 FA Vase kit but the new one is shite :P