U21 signings

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
GaryJ
Yeltz Forum Member

U21 signings

Post by GaryJ » 16 Jun 2022, 18:57

What do we all think about signing any of our U21s for this season? Is there any of our U21s good enough we would sign and are capable of cementing a place in the team. Haven’t seen much of them last season that’s all.

PDavies
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: U21 signings

Post by PDavies » 21 Jun 2022, 16:08

I’ve watched quite few of the 21s games last season and there are 2 or 3 that can step up. The captain Max Morris certainly can and I’d be surprised if he’s not signed. Also the striker Matthew Funge, he’s got a eye for goal and has pace and would cause defenders havoc. I’m sure he could step up easily as well, nearly 30 goals last season got to be looked at. Maybe Levi Simms or the left back Gillies as well.
Let’s hope we see some of them pre season. Up the yeltz

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 21 Jun 2022, 22:09

I don’t fully understand how the youth setup at the club has been amended so not sure where this leaves some of our youth prospects from last season.

I’d definitely welcome them forming part of the first team squad though and maybe the friendlies will be a good opportunity to test their capability.

All the youth teams performed incredibly well last year and the lads who did get a look-in for the first team all gave a great account of themselves.

Ideally, this season, I’d like us to have a core of 16 players in the squad but then to supplement that with about half a dozen youth prospects.

GaryJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by GaryJ » 22 Jun 2022, 13:57

Totally agree with you Piearce9. I do not understand why we have got ride of the 21s when they were so successful last season. Then we are going to lose a lot of those players as they won't be offered first team chances at halesowen, if we had kept the 21s they could have still played. Not sure if this 16-19 year old group for this season as a lot of them won't be ready for the step up.

I agree with a squad of 16-18 with a mixture of youth and experience. I think we lacked this towards the end of last season having some young blood in there with some energy. Lets hope we see some of them in the pre season friendlies.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 17 Jul 2022, 21:31

As reported elsewhere, Matt Funge has signed, what I presume are non-contract terms.
Also, Twitter favourite and Love Island Tangoed wingnut, Rich Smith. Bit harsh probably, but from what I saw last season, “willing” at best.
Mind you, there have been a few that have trained-on and let’s hope he does too.