Paul Smith to stay on.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Paul Smith to stay on.

Post by lutleyyeltz » 30 Apr 2022, 15:08

That's really good news!
I feel sure that Paul will redouble his efforts to get us promotion.
He's only had one full, uninterrupted season to achieve his and the club's ambition.
The Tower Gang are right behind you Paul - literally!

andiyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andiyeltz » 30 Apr 2022, 15:18

That's good news, everyone at the yeltz has had a big learning curve, fingers crossed errors can be ironed out and another good push could be on the cards next season, the team have had more positives than negatives this season, Paul is passionate about the club, keep up the positive work next season 👍

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 30 Apr 2022, 16:00

Really pleased about this. I’m sure next year won’t be easy either but I’m hoping we can find some more quality and consistency that ultimately cost us this year.

Three priorities for me:
- Need a big marquee signing in the summer. Ideally Opoku from Carlton. Got a feeling we’ve caught the eye of a few players from our rivals so let’s go and poach a few that are proven and solid.
- Reduce the squad size. Started last season with way too big a squad. Get a versatile core of 18, decide on a preferred system early, and supplement from the youth teams if needed.
- Crack the dressing room. Move out the players that don’t have their hearts in it. Get some harmony back. Make sure it’s a solid, loyal group from day one and try and retain the majority throughout the season. That undid us a bit this year imo.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 30 Apr 2022, 16:33

piearce9 wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 16:00
Really pleased about this. I’m sure next year won’t be easy either but I’m hoping we can find some more quality and consistency that ultimately cost us this year.

Three priorities for me:
- Need a big marquee signing in the summer. Ideally Opoku from Carlton. Got a feeling we’ve caught the eye of a few players from our rivals so let’s go and poach a few that are proven and solid.
- Reduce the squad size. Started last season with way too big a squad. Get a versatile core of 18, decide on a preferred system early, and supplement from the youth teams if needed.
- Crack the dressing room. Move out the players that don’t have their hearts in it. Get some harmony back. Make sure it’s a solid, loyal group from day one and try and retain the majority throughout the season. That undid us a bit this year imo.
Spot on. Need to hit the ground running and with a settled side. It undid us, that we took ages to find a settled team and formation tbh.

And no more stupid bookings and sending offs. Did for us big time last year.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 30 Apr 2022, 16:37

piearce9 wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 16:00

Three priorities for me:
If we are looking at a wish list, I was hugely impressed with Curvin Ellis who Sutton recently picked up, lead their line extremely well & gave our defensive central three loads of problems, perhaps more speculative than your suggestion, as new at the level, but maybe much more local.

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 30 Apr 2022, 17:20

Great news and good to get done so early. Next season I think may be harder than this season hopefully we can retain some of the key players this year and add a bit more quality.
Kai tongue from coleshill or Bailey Fuller from worcester and how about Joey Butlin lol.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 30 Apr 2022, 21:13

I’m told Opoku is based in Coventry. I’d kinda dismissed him before that but think he’d be perfect, if we could get him.

Langston, Butlin and Wynter at Chasetown are all attractive options too (although not in a visual sense).

I think we need a talisman in the middle too as I’m assuming Robbie Bunn will be gone next season. Not sure I have a name to throw in for that role though. Maybe someone with a bit of experience at a higher level.

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 30 Apr 2022, 23:09

Would be ridiculously harsh to do anything but let him go again.

We’re one of the few clubs to arguably come out of the pandemic stronger than we went into it and he’s a massive part of that.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 01 May 2022, 01:06

piearce9 wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 21:13
I’m told Opoku is based in Coventry. I’d kinda dismissed him before that but think he’d be perfect, if we could get him.

Langston, Butlin and Wynter at Chasetown are all attractive options too (although not in a visual sense).

I think we need a talisman in the middle too as I’m assuming Robbie Bunn will be gone next season. Not sure I have a name to throw in for that role though. Maybe someone with a bit of experience at a higher level.
Thought Opuku was Manchester based? Regardless, he can’t finish and though his arse is magnificent, not sure he’d improve us as much as some might expect

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 01 May 2022, 07:44

We’ll have to try and dig out a pair of Iyseden’s custom-made shorts. ;)