Goddard gone (again)

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Goddard gone (again)

Post by Poll » 16 Dec 2021, 16:05

That didn’t last long

https://www.ht-fc.co.uk/first-team-news

Club Twitter says someone coming in to be announced later today. Will they last longer than Xmas??

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Goddard gone (again)

Post by KenR » 16 Dec 2021, 16:30

seems like yet another casualty of the unnecessary and disruptive rotation. Our best players are leaving because of it.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 16 Dec 2021, 20:57

I'll be honest, I'm not disappointed at this news.

I've been underwhelmed at his performances since he rejoined us. A shadow of the player he was last time around.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 17 Dec 2021, 11:09

AWY it did n't help when he was in and out of the side all the time. I was also disappointed in him but could still see flashes of skill and he still passed the ball to his own players.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 17 Dec 2021, 13:36

I agree Ken in some ways, on his first appearance back at Chasetown in the Trophy, he protected and distributed the ball exceptionally well, and whilst perhaps not playing at the high tempo some would wish to see, offered a different and talented touch.
Where I disagree is on your in and out of the side comment.
If you look at the games we played whilst he was here, I will discount the Birmingham Senior Cup games (potentially cup tied with Nuneaton??) his first game Wisbech just after signing he was on the bench, reasonable I feel for a recent signing, then started four successive games, Chasetown (FA Trophy) up until Ilkeston, substitute for next three (Spalding, Coleshill & Histon) , then started the last two. So not starting every game, but getting a number of successive games.
If like me you see him as a midfielder, our squad page shows nine midfielders (without Jordan, and also not counting Jac Redhead and Billy Shaw) is that too many for three or four positions, or if with the current rules of five subs, potential Covid disruptions is this essential?
Back in the day I recall Don Smith being the sole substitute but regularly coming on and therefore also getting a game, how do we keep everyone happy with a 2021 size squad ?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 Dec 2021, 13:49

It's always a difficult one to manage. If players are not playing regularly they will move on at this level so a good squad in depth will always be hard to maintain. The trouble then is by trying to satisfy everybody you are not playing your strongest eleven. If you do constantly play your strongest eleven other good players will leave and cover for injuries will not be there. Unfortunately at our level there isn't an affordable sum of money that may entice decent players to sit on the bench regularly. Not a problem I would like to have to solve.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 17 Dec 2021, 17:17

andy wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 13:49
It's always a difficult one to manage. If players are not playing regularly they will move on at this level so a good squad in depth will always be hard to maintain. The trouble then is by trying to satisfy everybody you are not playing your strongest eleven. If you do constantly play your strongest eleven other good players will leave and cover for injuries will not be there. Unfortunately at our level there isn't an affordable sum of money that may entice decent players to sit on the bench regularly. Not a problem I would like to have to solve.
Voice of reason

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 18 Dec 2021, 10:36

Not too disappointed he has left as although a good player nothing better than we had.
However seems to show the 'team' is not as it was before and that something is missing from what we had as a squad a couiple of years ago
We have a good depth from our youngsters coming through who certainly not phased with playing at this level.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Dec 2021, 11:32

Rich wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 10:36

We have a good depth from our youngsters coming through who certainly not phased with playing at this level.
True. But as Alan Hansen once correctly said "you win nothing with kids" Oh, hang on a minute.....
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 18 Dec 2021, 12:05

Gone to Bromsgrove