Fuel shortage affecting games

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Fuel shortage affecting games

Post by Simons » 27 Sep 2021, 10:08

I see several games in the Isthmian League are being called off this week due to the ongoing situation, following a league directive. I wonder if the same thing will happen in other leagues

Noggin
Global Moderator

Re: Fuel shortage affecting games

Post by Noggin » 27 Sep 2021, 11:05

Difficult one that, especially given that Isthmian travel distances appear to be generally shorter than the North/South. On one hand, car pooling potentially reduces fuel use, but carries a covid risk. On the other hand, a 3rd interrupted season would be unthinkable.

Maybe the answer is to do nothing. if a team cannot fulfil the fixture, presumably there are already league rules to cover this*. Harsh, but equal for all parties.

* For example in a hockey league that I know of, not fulfilling a fixture results in a 3-0 loss for points and goal difference purposes.

Edit: If power cuts happen, as has been predicted n some places, then the lack of floodlights/lighting becomes a crowd safety issue which is entirely a different matter.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 27 Sep 2021, 15:33

Simons wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 10:08
I see several games in the Isthmian League are being called off this week due to the ongoing situation, following a league directive. I wonder if the same thing will happen in other leagues
no great surprise that it is the Isthmian (AKA the back home in time for tea league) jumping the gun. After all they were solely responsible for the null and void knee jerk fiasco . :'(

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 27 Sep 2021, 19:50

Southern league games also postponed tomorrow for same reason

Banbury v Biggleswade
Tamworth v Hitchin

Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 123456 » 28 Sep 2021, 11:49

I do believe that clubs in that league have their own agenda . Any excuse to call games off . The southern league are famous for it , let’s be honest .

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Sep 2021, 12:02

This is becoming farcical.

Alvechurch v Stratford, off. 35 minute drive and 28 miles apart.

Welwyn Garden City v Waltham Abbey, off. 32 minute drive and 18 miles apart.

I don't give a toss about the fuel shortage, there is no excuse not to fulfil the above fixtures.

Frankly, clubs are taking the piss. Which is incredible, given the fact we've all gone the best part of two years with limited fixture fulfillment.

If I was the league authorities, or the FA, I'd step in, and have a zero tolerance policy. 3-0 wins, and 3 points awarded to the team that was willing to play, would be handed out, and fines would be given to those who failed to fulfil their fixture. It's not good enough.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Sep 2021, 12:10

I know (touch wood) it hasn't affected our fixture tonight, and I don't know why it's annoying me so much, but it really is getting to me!

I'm off for a coffee and to get some work done. (Yes, some idiot employs me!).
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 28 Sep 2021, 12:17

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 12:02
.....If I was the league authorities, or the FA, I'd step in, and have a zero tolerance policy. 3-0 wins, and 3 points awarded to the team that was willing to play, would be handed out, and fines would be given to those who failed to fulfil their fixture. It's not good enough.
Proactive action from the FA, what planet are you on? There always seems to be a hierarchy of professionalism amongst the "trident" leagues Northerm Prem >> Southern Prem >> Isthmian with no guesses who are always the best organised.

I would have no issues with penalising clubs at this point. if the situation persists for more then a month, maybe reconsider, but as It stands I think it is a case of play the match or suffer the consequences.

Meanwhile, I guess our friends up the A458 will be only too willing to run up the white (and red) flag. it is now possible for someone born in late September to have had two birthdays, but not see Stourbr*dge win a single game. ::)

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 28 Sep 2021, 16:28

I don't actually think this totally unreasonable as long as it's a temporary thing.

The Isthmian League allowed teams to do this and whilst some teams may be taking advantage, it is a genuine concern and it removes unnecessary stress for people who have other jobs to consider as well.

Even if players just have to get to the collection point for a coach journey, some players don't necessarily live locally so if they have to work first in the morning then scrabble around for fuel or get held up, it all adds to unnecessary stress. Also the officials have to get there as well.

Moreover, when there's talk of who needs fuel urgently and who doesn't, players needing it to either drive or be driven to a non league game would not be on a priority list.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Sep 2021, 17:35

The irony of all this, due to the craziness of people that inhabit this fine land, is that there is NO fuel shortage! ::)
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0