Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Cobourne gone

Post by old git » 12 Jun 2021, 17:57

pantverdant2 wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 17:22
lutleyyeltz wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 14:06
We HAVE to get promotion.
That is our ONE and ONLY aim this season.
Failure to achieve that aim is unthinkable. The consequences would be disastrous.
dazzlingdazza wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 13:22
We NEED promotion this year.

A cup run would be nice but I would be ok with us getting knocked out in the 1st round of every comp for promotion end of.
I'm enjoying the positivity but having followed the Yeltz for 41 years and Aston Villa for a darn sight longer I realise that
fortunes ebb and flow and near misses can be followed with years of stagnation,Karen and Mr McKenna are mere custodians
of the club and the supporters are the only ones in it for the long haul.

The heady days of the 80's and the cup run to the Trophy semi final are history and we are in a league with a mid range
budget,Morecambe are the only example I can think of,of a club with the lowest budget fostering a team spirit that
achieved promotion.

Dreams keep footie fans going but hard cash reigns supreme.
I’m curious. Where did you get the mid range budget from, and that Yates and Sim were big earners ?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Jun 2021, 18:59

....and equally how can you say Macca and Karen are not in it for the long haul. I too have been following for many a decade and am going to enjoy the stability they have bought to this club as much as possible. You and I know this is probably the best situation this club has EVER been in. That is why I am frustrated at players moving away claiming 'ambition'. If you are ambitious, this is the place to be!!!!!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 12 Jun 2021, 19:45

Not sure you’re signing guys from two leagues above if you’re operating on a small budget, though I have no personal insight into this beyond speculation.

dazzlingdazza
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dazzlingdazza » 12 Jun 2021, 20:05

andy wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 18:59
....and equally how can you say Macca and Karen are not in it for the long haul. I too have been following for many a decade and am going to enjoy the stability they have bought to this club as much as possible. You and I know this is probably the best situation this club has EVER been in. That is why I am frustrated at players moving away claiming 'ambition'. If you are ambitious, this is the place to be!!!!!
I agree with you from our point of you, the potential for this club is unreal, in the long term this is definitely the place to be, however from a players point of view some probably only look short term, they have a chance to play at a higher level (albeit possibly a smaller club) so they take it.
Especially in non league players are chopped and changed all the time so if we did move up a couple of leagues in as many years, there would be no guarantee that they would be part of the mix anyway.

In terms of Karen and Keith I really think they are in it for the long haul, they strike me as very ambitious and I think it’s obvious that they have a lot of love and passion for the club which is so refreshing after so much crap over the last 10-12 years as you pointed out Andy. It’s a good time to be a Yeltz fan, let’s enjoy it !!

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 12 Jun 2021, 20:14

If anyone has the slightest doubt in Keith and Karens’s commitment, just watch them in action. Then look at the (publicly available) accounts lodged with Companies House and the size of the Director Loan account - the money they have paid into the club with no real expectation of seeing it again.

Then ask yourself whether that is the behaviour of five minute wonders.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Jun 2021, 21:14

Noggin wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 20:14
If anyone has the slightest doubt in Keith and Karens’s commitment, just watch them in action. Then look at the (publicly available) accounts lodged with Companies House and the size of the Director Loan account - the money they have paid into the club with no real expectation of seeing it again.

Then ask yourself whether that is the behaviour of five minute wonders.
To me the pair of them just seem dyed in the wool Yeltz. And it's great. ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 12 Jun 2021, 21:31

pantverdant2 wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 17:22
[quote=lutleyyeltz post_id=47260 time=<a href="tel:1623503167">1623503167</a> user_id=43]
We HAVE to get promotion.
That is our ONE and ONLY aim this season.
Failure to achieve that aim is unthinkable. The consequences would be disastrous.
[quote=dazzlingdazza post_id=47259 time=<a href="tel:1623500567">1623500567</a> user_id=41]
We NEED promotion this year.

A cup run would be nice but I would be ok with us getting knocked out in the 1st round of every comp for promotion end of.
[/quote]

I'm enjoying the positivity but having followed the Yeltz for 41 years and Aston Villa for a darn sight longer I realise that
fortunes ebb and flow and near misses can be followed with years of stagnation,Karen and Mr McKenna are mere custodians
of the club and the supporters are the only ones in it for the long haul.

The heady days of the 80's and the cup run to the Trophy semi final are history and we are in a league with a mid range
budget,Morecambe are the only example I can think of,of a club with the lowest budget fostering a team spirit that
achieved promotion.

Dreams keep footie fans going but hard cash reigns supreme.
[/quote]

I agree with you about Morecambe that has been widely reported, and also that the clubs with the largest budgets generally are those that achieve the majority of higher league places.

What I really would be interested to know for the forthcoming season in a new league, would be who two or three of the highest budget teams are, in order that I can see if they match the budgetary expectations, and who the leaders of the pack in the new league are likely to be.

Many thanks.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 13 Jun 2021, 07:00

In respect to Mr.Pantverdant, the comment about K&K being “mere custodians” is something they’ve both said themselves, in similar words. I don’t think it’s meant as a criticism.

The budget conversation is always a funny one. Let’s be honest, nobody knows what other clubs are paying, and every club pretends they’re running on a shoestring (tbh, many probably are at Step 4).

Johnny Bud
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Johnny Bud » 13 Jun 2021, 07:51

Players come and players go…

I’m sure that by the start of the season we will have more than enough quality to (stealing someone else’s quote) ‘p*ss this league!’

Keep the faith!

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 13 Jun 2021, 08:36

piearce9 wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 07:00
In respect to Mr.Pantverdant, the comment about K&K being “mere custodians” is something they’ve both said themselves, in similar words. I don’t think it’s meant as a criticism.

The budget conversation is always a funny one. Let’s be honest, nobody knows what other clubs are paying, and every club pretends they’re running on a shoestring (tbh, many probably are at Step 4).
Totally agree. I always find the budget comparisons amazing because it is a very sensitive matter that I cannot believe is discussed between club officials as they enjoy their half time malted milk and rich tea. If amounts are ever discussed, I would expect that they have a touch of the four yorkshiremen about them (at step 4, possibly true as well).