Re: Wrong time, place, planet.

Post by andy » 04 Feb 2021, 19:21

Loving these!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Feb 2021, 19:56

Talking on the subject of wrong planet. Redditch. I must have been there a dozen times but gone ROUND the orange glow in the sky treble that. I can NEVER find it. Actually that's not true. The last time we went there I drove straight to the road it's on but then managed in my excitement to take the driveway before and end up on a dead end car park. I swear it's in another dimension. Hate the place.

GreySquirrel
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by GreySquirrel » 05 Feb 2021, 13:55

Season 1988/9 Gainsborough Trinity Away FA Trophy
Kev & Trev plus an old mate Martin & 2 of his work colleagues took a train trip. Trev put in charge of Train tickets & times. I will add at this point that it was not an easy task in those days, pre-internet. Arrived in Gainsborough in plenty of time for the dinner time session then on to the game. We lost 1-0 I think very unlucky and got offered a lift home on the Harris coach in the clubhouse after the match. We declined the offer as we had more drinking to do (big mistake). Went back to the station where we had disembarked some 7 hours earlier for the 7.30 train back. Not the biggest station in the world smaller than The Lye. Gave it till 7.45 before Trev decided to walk 100 Yards down the track to the signal box.
Trev – Mate ! Is the 7.30 train coming to Sheffield.
Signalman – There wasn’t one from this station it goes from the other station.
Trev – S**t ! when is the next train to Sheffield from either station.
Signalman – Tomorrow morning
Trev – F**k !
We then had to bribe a local taxi driver to get 5 of us in his 4 seater Taxi (1 in the boot so out of sight of any police). Only enough money left between us for 8 cans of Breaker for the 9.00 train back to New Street. Jumped in a carriage full of Chelsea headhunters returning to London from Leeds. Thankfully, they took pity on us and were truly amazed that anybody bothered to follow a non-league team home & away.
Just think, I would never had known there were 2 Train Stations in Gainsborough if we had decided to take the offer of the coach home.
Thanks for coming!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Feb 2021, 18:34

Brilliant!!! Wrong station and sympathy from Chelsea's Headhunters.😂 Bet they never dished much of that out in those days.....

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Feb 2021, 18:47

Having encountered the Headhunters in the 80s I'm amazed you got out alive. But that said, the train with them or the coach with Dot after a shandy, you probably took the safer option.😁