Re: Wrong time, place, planet.

Post by El Seano » 03 Feb 2021, 20:28

andy wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 20:08
El Seano wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 19:00
YeltzDoc wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 11:12
My story that got an airing on Talksport - train from London to Bromsgrove for a match. No taxis to be had for love nor money at Bromsgrove train station, got there and paid in at half time. Ref called it off during the break for fog.
And it was a pretty nervous trip up to Gretna on the train, not knowing if the game was on or off.... Never been so happy to see a Harris's coach.
Postponed match at Trowbridge turned out a bit better though.
Ooh, pray tell.
Nothing particularly exciting. We ended up in Bath having a few beers and going to the rugby.

But somewhat better than paying to not watch a match in foggy Bromsgrove.

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 03 Feb 2021, 22:01

Travelled as passenger with pal Paul to Yeltz game at Gloucester not realising that we had gone to the old ground, late arrival at
Sudmeadow Park and we lost.N ot as bad as when we attended a local senior cup tie on a foul night at Lye Meadow ;Alvechurch
v Studley, and the referee came over to the main stand after 86 mins and said he was abandoning the game, no refund and
Studley were winning! Pedantry of the highest order. :P :P

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Poll » 04 Feb 2021, 09:32

El Seano wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 18:48
One of my visits to back to Halesowen happened to be when the (abandoned) Chippenham play off semi was played, but by the time the tie was replayed I was back in sunny Spain.

So got soaked watching us 3-2 down after about half an hour and missed the victory a few days later.
I travelled down from Edinburgh for that abandoned game, and back the morning after (so missed the replay too).

Had a bad feeling when on the Number 9 from New Street when it started pissing down that the game was going to be off :(

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Feb 2021, 10:40

Poll wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 09:32
El Seano wrote:
One of my visits to back to Halesowen happened to be when the (abandoned) Chippenham play off semi was played, but by the time the tie was replayed I was back in sunny Spain.

So got soaked watching us 3-2 down after about half an hour and missed the victory a few days later.
I travelled down from Edinburgh for that abandoned game, and back the morning after (so missed the replay too).

Had a bad feeling when on the Number 9 from New Street when it started pissing down that the game was going to be off :(
To have both then missed the replayed game to travel your respective hundreds of miles home is just cruel. But funny. ;D Poll, I bet you were back down again for the final in Bath on the weekend as well? Jinx.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Feb 2021, 10:48

As we have thrown postponements /abandonments into wrong time, wrong place, I too have a long distance one. Roma against Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League. Abandoned at half time because the referee was struck by a missile!

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Poll » 04 Feb 2021, 11:57

andy wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 10:40
Poll wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 09:32
El Seano wrote:

To have both then missed the replayed game to travel your respective hundreds of miles home is just cruel. But funny. ;D Poll, I bet you were back down again for the final in Bath on the weekend as well? Jinx.
I was. Don't think it was my fault we lost though. I did kick the bin. :)

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 04 Feb 2021, 14:39

There’s a couple of Tiverton related examples that those that were there might want to elaborate on:
(1) The alleged hijacking of the supporters coach by Martin o’C
(2) the postponement about 20 nanoseconds before kick-off due a permafrost pitch

Come to think of it, there are two threads there worth exploring in their own right: bizarre supporters coach happenings and strange postponents....

The floor is open, wise ones

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Feb 2021, 15:37

Yep. Bring 'em on.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 04 Feb 2021, 17:30

Various breakdowns of Pete Cooper's Sharrabangs, a long time on hard shoulder returning from maybe Salisbury, I remember-ish.

Certainly diverting the returning coach journey from somewhere into the town centre so that me, El Seano, Big and Little Rich and Nige could get a train to London to go to a party at my old student house in Swiss Cottage.
I think it was that one where the Vulgar Bulgar fell down our spiral staicase whilst holding a pint and never spilled a drop. #Professional

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 04 Feb 2021, 18:19

YeltzDoc wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 17:30
Various breakdowns of Pete Cooper's Sharrabangs, a long time on hard shoulder returning from maybe Salisbury, I remember-ish.

Certainly diverting the returning coach journey from somewhere into the town centre so that me, El Seano, Big and Little Rich and Nige could get a train to London to go to a party at my old student house in Swiss Cottage.
I think it was that one where the Vulgar Bulgar fell down our spiral staicase whilst holding a pint and never spilled a drop. #Professional
Another London related one when we were on the coach, with a clueless coach driver who took us to every part of London(including London
Colney!) Maybe my memory is playing tricks on that one!He missed out one vital suburb Griffin Park/Brentford area.

Finally in desperation we looked to flag down a guy wearing a red and white scarf,amazingly he didn't support Man Utd and he got on the
coach and directed us to the ground and we arrived in time for kick off.The coach driver was definitely wrong planet.Yeltz were knocked
out of The Cup that day and have never reached the 2nd Round Proper. :-\