Re: Restart

Post by andy » 16 May 2021, 17:09

Judging by that then, no 'promotion' for us. :(
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 16 May 2021, 22:04

There’s plenty to look forward to this week – the start of home friendlies as well as the new non-league allocations. We can see the document posted on this thread was wrong as it used the league positions at the end of aborted 2019/20 season to allocate clubs to the new structure. But as we know, those seasons never existed to the authorities. However, at least it does show it’s likely we’ll be allocated to the new Northern Premier South West League.

Some may personally like an impending move North, others may not. It was often said that the Northern Premier League was better run and it would offer a few more local-ish derbies. But remember to give some thought to those running the club though and the extra admin involved in moving leagues yet again. Also I suspect most of the Yeltz playing and management staff are based to the south and east of Halesowen, so it may be less convenient for them. A new league offers new teams to watch for fans, but on the playing side the built up knowledge about opposition teams over the past two years will be lost as we take on relatively less known clubs. Travel up the M6, especially through Tuesday rush-hour traffic congestion was never pleasant either and it often takes less time to travel on longer journeys down the M40 in the Southern League.

It’s also worth pointing out that moving north will mean playing against one of the handful of teams at Step 4 that have a better league record of points over the last two ‘seasons’, namely Leek Town (never mind the past horrors that their ground brings back for a certain generation). Also there would be a possibility of being up against Marine who will surely have money to spend following their big FA Cup game with Spurs. At least we would lose Corby Town as opponents though. A final thought on this potential new division - Macclesfield Town lost their EFL status but have re-formed as Macclesfield FC (with Robbie Savage a director under a new local owner) and have already made significant improvements to their facilities. Normal rules should mean they are placed one division below in the North West Counties League, however, rumours circulating around Macc still say they may somehow end up higher, so could they yet also be in our league? In any event rapid promotion for them to Step 4, then the Northern Premier should be expected.

It’s odd that the Northern Premier and Isthmian Leagues will both administer three divisions at Step 4, but only one Premier division at Step 3. Meanwhile the Southern League will run only two divisions at Step 4, yet have two Premier divisions at Step 3. What therefore seems inevitable is that should the Yeltz achieve promotion to Step 3, this will involve a further move back to the Southern League. And if anyone wants to look beyond that into Dreamland any progression to the National League would mean going North again. I suppose we just have to get used to the geographical switches, I’m sure it’s all a new challenge everyone relishes.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 May 2021, 07:21

Great post DJ. It is a strange scenario that being in the middle of the country end up a disadvantage as we are on the extremes of both leagues.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 17 May 2021, 08:35

Thanks for this post, DJ - really enlightening and made me consider a few things differently.

I have no shame in saying that my preference for moving north is mainly for my own selfish reasons in that the clubs/towns we stand to visit are far more appealing. I have found the M40 league very stale. However, I did recognise that the standard of the opposition looks tougher on paper oop North - especially with Leek and Marine - and I hadn't even contemplated Macc and their (re?)introduction.

My main desire, however, is for the club to keep their forward momentum after the Trophy run - attracting new fans and ensuring the buzz continues. If we stay South, then I'll draw on the positives you've outlined, even if it does mean another visit to Corby.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 17 May 2021, 13:42

Thanks from me too for your insight DJ and you raised points that I had not thought of, particularly the location of players and the potential strength of the North. Whilst I think that we have the bandwidth to take on any club of a similar size, I think that the most immediate priority must be resumption of Step 3 football and that the simpler route to that is via our current league allocation.

If that means taking our chances with the M40 league so be it, but I am now wise enough not to try another Scotch Pie. However, I fully respect that others have differing opinions, both on the M40 league and on the quality of Corby's catering.

In any case, it looks like we will find out this week so we can start looking forward to a new season, new challenges and old friends.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 17 May 2021, 14:46

Noggin wrote:
17 May 2021, 13:42
However, I fully respect that others have differing opinions, both on the M40 league and on the quality of Corby's catering.
I’m fine with opposing views on the M40 league but I would have very serious concerns if anyone came out to bat for the quality of Corby’s menu

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 17 May 2021, 18:10

Pie-based futures to be defined tomorrow by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/statu ... 52416?s=21

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 May 2021, 12:36

Oddly, the Tweet has been deleted. We'll find out shortly, or not, I guess.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 May 2021, 12:38

Ha, the moment I post, The Oracle confirms - https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 57414?s=20

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 May 2021, 13:44

Now 3pm, because, you know, The FA.

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/statu ... 83203?s=21