Lee and Paul Joinson

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Lee and Paul Joinson

Post by DJ » 06 Aug 2020, 14:44

Legendary twins Lee and Paul Joinson will be 60 years old on Friday, 7th August.

Between them, Lee and Paul scored 614 goals in over 1150 appearances for Halesowen Town. It’s still worth taking a moment to think about those numbers as they remain utterly astonishing statistics to take in.

One of the attached photos quoting 96 goals was taken a few days before the 1986 FA Vase Wembley final against Southall. For clarity, the 96 goals cited actually relate to the exact calendar year between the 1985 FA Vase Final against Fleetwood and the 1986 final against Southall. 18 goals were scored at the end of the 1984/85 season from (and including) the Fleetwood final on 27/04/85 and the Joinsons scored a further 78 goals in the 1985/1986 season up to (but not including) the Wembley final on 26/04/86.

Incidentally, we should also remember that Mark Penn - with over 500 appearances – also celebrated his 60th birthday a couple of months ago.

Happy Birthday to our forever Halesowen heroes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Lee and Paul Joinson

Post by andy » 06 Aug 2020, 15:47

60! Bloody hell, wheres all the time gone? Seems like yesterday.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 06 Aug 2020, 16:26

Happy Birthday !!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 06 Aug 2020, 16:32

Legends! 👏
Now they are officially "Wrinkles!"
Have a great day you two. 👍

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 06 Aug 2020, 19:48

Absolute legends. Such a blessing to watch both in a blue shirt and glad to see they both still attend games. I dont think the younger members will get, when players move on so quickly, how much they gave to us.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 07 Aug 2020, 08:49

Just seen an old photo of the twins posted on Twitter. They haven't changed much in all those years.

Obviously they played for us well before I was born, so never got the pleasure of seeing them play, but those are incredible stats.

I feel bad for asking this, but I'm genuinely interested, but was one twin better than the other? How were those stats distributed between the two? I just tried to have a look, but the Yeltz Archive website no longer seems available, which is a shame.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 07 Aug 2020, 12:58

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 08:49

I feel bad for asking this, but I'm genuinely interested, but was one twin better than the other? How were those stats distributed between the two? I just tried to have a look, but the Yeltz Archive website no longer seems available, which is a shame.
Ooh talk about opening a can of worms Josh.
Paul was the most prolific goals wise. But his position on the park, playing as an out and out forward, with Lee playing out wide accounts for that. Paul scored many of his goals courtesy of Lee. They were telepathic. I'm sure they could have found each other in the dark. Lee weighed in with I think over 250 goals (Chas?) himself. If I had to pick one as a 'better' footballer it would probably be Lee but that would just be splitting hairs. They were simply just a joy to watch and we will never, no matter what level we ever get to, see the like again.
Happy birthday guys. Thanks for the memories.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 07 Aug 2020, 13:05

Just to add to that, I reckon if Paul played in last year's squad he'd have scored 50 on his own. I genuinely believe that. Shame non of them would have counted though......

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 07 Aug 2020, 13:21

I keep looking to see if The Joinsons Stand is there ....

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 07 Aug 2020, 13:28

Sorry, I'm on a roll now. It has to be said that both Paul and Lee would have been the 'go to' players in any of our great teams. Throughout the years of 82-92ish they played with many other superb players that meant they were able to show their abilities to the full. They were the sort of players that benefited from having that quality around them. Too many to mention but the likes of Malcolm Hazelwood, Mark Penn and Sean Flynn are good examples of how good we were. They woul easily have fitted into our other two great squads from the mid nineties and last year's. Their goal rate would have been equally prolific in either of those. Just absolute naturals that could have played at a far higher level. Happily for us they stayed at the Town, yet ironically when Paul went to play for Worcester at the tail end of his career, their visit to us gave us our highest league attendance to date!