Managers list since 1980

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Managers list since 1980

Post by andy » 26 Apr 2020, 14:49

Yeltz7 wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 13:39
Nobody with any age in this topic will debate its paddy page by a mile,John morris 2nd for the football and the money from players he signed the club made,Number 3 little bit unsure i don't think we played good football under Stuart Hall alot of it was defensive especially at home and try to catch teams on the break,also He spent alot of money john morris made.So i would go for paul smith 3rd just for getting the club to top of the league and a trophy semi-final.
Interesting. Paddy undoubtedly built a terrific side with achievements unparalleled. But. The side never played, although they undoubtedly should have, at any level above the Banks's. Sides were beaten in the FA Cup as one offs, just as we have this year in the Trophy, but the week to week was beating Darlaston and Brierley Hill. We will never know how good that side was and it's frustrating. The sides we had under John Morris and Stuart Hall were probably better and although '96 didn't produce a Vase win or similar, for me it represented the pinnacle of our achievements.
*open the floodgates"
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Apr 2020, 14:54

PS. If it's purely down to the excitement of watching the style of football we play, this season is/was probably the best. F*ckin' coronavirus.😡

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Poll » 26 Apr 2020, 20:23

andy wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 21:52
The debate will be long and tortous but you won't get any disagreement from me.
This is guaranteed, but last week we were discussing root vegetables so it’ll be good to talk about football again 😂

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 27 Apr 2020, 10:55

A difficult call indeed. Paddy undoubtedly lifted the club from ”one man and his dog” status and paved the way for where our club are today.
Stuart however took us to our highest ever position, the equivalent of runners up in the National League North.
Paul Smith though has raised the bar with what one man can achieve on and off the field. The man just ooozes class, and that rubs off to players and fans alike.
John Hill deserves far more credit than he gets. From a fans point of view I completely understand the negative view, but as one who was closely involved in keeping the club alive with John and a few others, what he had to put up with I can assure you NO other manager would. Unfortunately for John when the light of Karen appeared at the end of a long dark tunnel he was a broken man, but we must never forget that he kept us going as a club putting in endless hours and cash.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 27 Apr 2020, 11:08

Many of the points made about John Hill apply equally to Shaun Cunnington. I often think that his contribution in ensure that we got a team to complete the 2010-11 season is often overlooked and it was done at financial cost to himself as well.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Apr 2020, 11:24

old git wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 10:55
A difficult call indeed. Paddy undoubtedly lifted the club from ”one man and his dog” status and paved the way for where our club are today.
Stuart however took us to our highest ever position, the equivalent of runners up in the National League North.
Paul Smith though has raised the bar with what one man can achieve on and off the field. The man just ooozes class, and that rubs off to players and fans alike.
John Hill deserves far more credit than he gets. From a fans point of view I completely understand the negative view, but as one who was closely involved in keeping the club alive with John and a few others, what he had to put up with I can assure you NO other manager would. Unfortunately for John when the light of Karen appeared at the end of a long dark tunnel he was a broken man, but we must never forget that he kept us going as a club putting in endless hours and cash.
Re John Hill. I give full credit to him for giving his time and energy to try and build a good team for us under difficult circumstances. Of that there is no doubt. I just did not like the football we played, even in the year we got promoted. Anyone who gives of their time has to be applauded and John deserves that too. It just never worked out on the field.

Yeltz7
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz7 » 27 Apr 2020, 11:34

lets remember a few things we only only playing now the level of the old bank's league we were in back then,wasn't the team's fault Harry rudge and the ground didn't really want to progress,anybody who was there the day we beat southern league leaders kings llyn 6-0 in the fa cup will say it was one of the best performances at any level i have seen.By the way John Morris with his budget he had did amazing things where he took the club,in my eyes maybe a better manager than paddy page but the success at the start really build the club up from nothing just a shame a few over the years tried to ruin it,it seems good old days are coming back to the grove.Again just a personal view not saying i am right,anybody who saw that team from 82-85-86 don't think a team as come close to it.
Last edited by Yeltz7 on 27 Apr 2020, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 27 Apr 2020, 11:36

Poll wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 20:23
andy wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 21:52
The debate will be long and tortous but you won't get any disagreement from me.
This is guaranteed, but last week we were discussing root vegetables so it’ll be good to talk about football again 😂
That's a blow. I've been Googling obscure root vegetable all weekend in the hope discussion might go on :(

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Apr 2020, 11:54

It's like I say Yeltz7, the true potential of that team will never be known. Let's not forget after all the years of being refused promotion it was basically that side that started in the Southern Midland. Though it did well and ultimately gained promotion again under John Morris in 1990 with many great additions such as Flynny and Dean Spink to name but a couple, to my mind all those combinations of sides could not match the mid nineties sides under Stuart Hall. All said though we're splitting hairs really, they were ALL quality sides!

crossborderYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by crossborderYeltz » 27 Apr 2020, 12:34

As an occasional attendee since the mid 90s (I'm a Walsall fan but started watching the Yeltz one time when the Saddlers game was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch - I lived not too far away at the time in Langley Green and noticed our former player Evran Wright was playing for you. These days I come to the Grove a lot more often than I do the Bescot) I thought I'd add my two penn'orth. I thought the side built by Stuart Hall was excellent - saw some great games including that win at Rushden - and of course almost won promotion to the conference. The M**s*n team played some great football at times - but (correct me if I'm wrong) as they were paying wages way above everyone else in that league it was an artificial situation bound to end in tears. And of course the off the field antics tempered any enjoyment anyway. As others have said I feel John Hill deserves credit for turning things round and achieving promotion - again some good football that year. But I was shocked to see how things deteriorated. But I also agree that Paul Smith is great - what super football, attitude and results. He has the potential to be the best by far.