League null and void

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: League null and void

Post by YeltzDoc » 10 Apr 2020, 14:03

Following on from the Jolly Boys On-Line Drinking Evening, last night, here's a positive take on it.

It doesn't matter what league we're in.

I'll let that sink in a minute...

Without the 'Rona, or without the FA's odd decision, we go up and have a settling in season in the Prem next year.
OK, that's progress, and that's what we should be looking for.

But, if we stay where we are, we most probably have another Championship-ish season, hopefully a good cup run or two. Without wanting to sound arrogant, we'll be pretty short odds to piss the league and will probably win most weeks so crowds continue to grow, or stabilise at the new level at least.
We should keep most of our players - we've a solid finance base due to our owners, Trophy run and decent gates, and others won't be in a position to splash the case to get them. Even if we lose a few - rumours of Montel to Northampton - then the combination of a good budget, manager who has already built one winning team from scratch, and a winning dressing room will enable us to replace them.
And if the FA Trophy goes ahead in August or September, it's a pretty big incentive to out of contract players (ie 90% of Step 3,4,5 blokes) to sign for us and have the chance to play in those massive matches.
Berko and others will struggle to keep / pay their better players as they were being heavily financed off-the pitch due to small gates, so the field should be even clearer than this year.
OK, so we have to go to some small grounds that are, erm, idiosyncratic to say the least, but so what?

The most likely cost to us will just be time, and we've had 150-ish goes at winning leagues, so another 12 months isn't too much of an ask in the greater scheme of things.

And, the most important competition of any season in non-league, the AGM cup, is still to play out. In a normal season loads of clubs go sideways, down, bust, mental etc and the leagues get shuffled.
I think by the end of the e-drinking last night, we'd convinced ourselves that there was a very good chance that we'd have Bolton's place in League One.

Keep safe and keep the faith my Yeltz friends.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 10 Apr 2020, 15:43

That was pretty much what we'd all agreed on - thanks for reminding me ;)

Just one point about attracting new players to play in the remaining Trophy games - should they happen of course - would they not be cup tied?

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 10 Apr 2020, 16:02

Lord knows. I suspect there’s enough good ‘uns around who aren’t though.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 10 Apr 2020, 16:49

YeltzDoc wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 14:03
Following on from the Jolly Boys On-Line Drinking Evening, last night, here's a positive take on it.

It doesn't matter what league we're in.

I'll let that sink in a minute...

Without the 'Rona, or without the FA's odd decision, we go up and have a settling in season in the Prem next year.
OK, that's progress, and that's what we should be looking for.

But, if we stay where we are, we most probably have another Championship-ish season, hopefully a good cup run or two. Without wanting to sound arrogant, we'll be pretty short odds to piss the league and will probably win most weeks so crowds continue to grow, or stabilise at the new level at least.
We should keep most of our players - we've a solid finance base due to our owners, Trophy run and decent gates, and others won't be in a position to splash the case to get them. Even if we lose a few - rumours of Montel to Northampton - then the combination of a good budget, manager who has already built one winning team from scratch, and a winning dressing room will enable us to replace them.
And if the FA Trophy goes ahead in August or September, it's a pretty big incentive to out of contract players (ie 90% of Step 3,4,5 blokes) to sign for us and have the chance to play in those massive matches.
Berko and others will struggle to keep / pay their better players as they were being heavily financed off-the pitch due to small gates, so the field should be even clearer than this year.
OK, so we have to go to some small grounds that are, erm, idiosyncratic to say the least, but so what?

The most likely cost to us will just be time, and we've had 150-ish goes at winning leagues, so another 12 months isn't too much of an ask in the greater scheme of things.

And, the most important competition of any season in non-league, the AGM cup, is still to play out. In a normal season loads of clubs go sideways, down, bust, mental etc and the leagues get shuffled.
I think by the end of the e-drinking last night, we'd convinced ourselves that there was a very good chance that we'd have Bolton's place in League One.

Keep safe and keep the faith my Yeltz friends.
You may be correct in all of that Guy, but, and it's a massive but, the simplest way of solving all this mess is to finish the leagues as they are and a PPG applied. Every team is where they deserve to be and it would be the same across the board whatever league you compete in. Fairness is still the ONLY way forward. If Liverpool get to be crowned champions at the end of this it will be one rule for them, one rule for us. There's also no guarantee there won't be some strong teams in our league next year, hoovering up all the good players from teams that have suffered. As you say we may still get allocated s place in a league above due to others folding or requesting demotion but that's a gamble we shouldn't have to rely on. And we're still tempering this situation with the hope we may have the Trophy semis still but personally I'd swap that for promotion in a heartbeat.
We've been robbed by gutless authorities I'm afraid.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 10 Apr 2020, 17:55

Agreed Brother Avery but grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Unfortunately, this is very much the first of those.

We’d all like a pink pony at this stage, but we’re not getting one. And if we can rise above the understandable and justified disappointment and anger, actually, it’s not too bad.

As an aside, I don’t think we’ve been screwed by the FA, that suggests that they’ve made a deliberate decision out of malice, I think they just don’t care about Step 3 and down and this was the easiest way of closing down the situation.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 10 Apr 2020, 18:25

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one bro. It should be the same for everyone.
But a pink pony, hmmm.....
.....actually I'm going to settle for a speckled hen, or two.
🍺🤪

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 10 Apr 2020, 19:08

Me too! 🍻🍻🍻🍻

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 10 Apr 2020, 20:24

YeltzDoc wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 19:08
Me too! 🍻🍻🍻🍻

Ironic that the serenity prayer you quoted earlier is used by alcoholics anonymous.😂

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 10 Apr 2020, 20:36

Where do you think I heard it?

Actually, I’m. It an alcoholic. They go to meetings.
I’m just a drunk.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 10 Apr 2020, 21:04

YeltzDoc wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 20:36

Actually, I’m. It an alcoholic. They go to meetings.
I’m just a drunk.
Easy for say to you