Re: League null and void

Post by andy » 10 Apr 2020, 22:13

And cheers to you! Stay safe.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 11 Apr 2020, 09:23

Nice one, Doc. I think you’re absolutely right and thanks for the positive outlook. I’m sure it’ll be another good season if we stay at Step 4 and there are certainly positive signs that most of last season’s squad will stay for the ride.

I’ve been rather critical of the league’s decision to void on the old Twitter - not so much for the outcome but moreso of the way they’ve done it. I don’t believe they’ve engaged with clubs at all, and even some leagues are saying they’ve been poorly informed and not properly consulted. I guess the plan was to write off this season, move on, and start afresh in August.

But I am intrigued to what is going to happen (much) higher up the pyramid. Given Liverpool’s proximity to a long-awaited title, I imagine there’ll be some jiggery-pokery with the football calendar to complete the 19/20 season. And then what? We might have the bizarre situation where the Conference are playing out this season, whilst we’re cracking on with 20/21.

I definitely agree that this decision shouldn’t derail our progress as a club, and the reasons for optimism are all still there, but my concern is that the league have made a right old mess of things.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Apr 2020, 12:12

As I've said, across the board or not at all.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 11 Apr 2020, 20:06

Apparently suspensions & fines WILL still apply.

Disciplinary fines still need to be paid & previously paid fines WON’T be refunded.

All outstanding suspensions will be served at the start of next season.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 11 Apr 2020, 21:28

Well thats farcial if thats the case. Games wont count but suspensions from said games will. Like being suspended from a game you didnt play in. I suppose the league termination is inevitable. I still have a gut feeling cup games will be played over summer. Hope so anyhoo. Be nice to try and salvage something. Ill put money the Premier League wont be abandoned.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Apr 2020, 21:47

Simons wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 20:06
Apparently suspensions & fines WILL still apply.

Disciplinary fines still need to be paid & previously paid fines WON’T be refunded.

All outstanding suspensions will be served at the start of next season.
Not even remotely surprised. As useless and corrupt as the rest of them. Maybe they have to give the FA a cut...

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Apr 2020, 21:50

drummyb wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 21:28
I still have a gut feeling cup games will be played over summer. Hope so anyhoo. Be nice to try and salvage something.
You can be sure they will try and get those on. Nice little earner. They'd get our league games on as well if it benefited them financially.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 12 Apr 2020, 08:05

https://www.betvictoristhmian.co.uk/bet ... -end-61808
Not exactly on thread, but of some interest.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 12 Apr 2020, 10:24

Thank you for drawing our attention to this Lutley and I would not be at all surprised if there is a larger scale withdrawal of betting firms from sponsorship deals.

I saw a article that looked at Brentford and the fact that they could end up with two grounds but no football to play in either of them. The problem was compounded by the fact that their chairman has stumped up £130m -ish from his betting information company and that we with no sports betting taking place their income stream from that source was looking precarious to say the least

Another thought is that big money transfers will be due instalments soon and that clubs will not have the income to meet those payments.

I think that the big money game could have a major reckoning to deal with in the [very likely] event that play does not resume in a few weeks.