Didcot

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
Noggin
Global Moderator

Re: Didcot

Post by Noggin » 26 Feb 2020, 15:55

andy wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 22:11
Back in ye olde times the stagecoach driver would send a runner ahead to receive an official statement on a papyrus. He would pass this on to the Towne Cryer to announce from atop the Church wall to the gathered throng. A young scamp would then be paid sixpence to relay that message back to those of us further afield saving us the tuppence fare and the driver from unnecessarily tiring his horses.
I have heard a few tales of this from various sources. I am sure that they are all as true as the story of our illustrious Magyar of posts passim

Andy, being a modest man, but of substantial means used to send his under-footman to listen for news as he says above. What he misses out, in the interests of modesty, is that on the receipt of news from the under-footman, he used to get the first footman and second footman to convey him in his favourite sedan chair. He was a kind employer and only made them wear full livery on the way to the game (ie down Mucklow Hill) he did not make them perspire in full livery on the way back.

Those of more limited means used to brave the footpads and vagabonds along the Stourbr*dge turnpike. Many of these were dressed in a strange red and white striped garb similar to that worn by prisoners or escapees from the local asylum.

Lord Lutley, being a peer of the realm (as of now, of course simply used to send one of his men to convey a message as to when the match should start (to fit his convenience) and the kick-off time would be rearranged according to his Lordship's whim and pleasure.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Feb 2020, 18:34

Noggin wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 15:55
andy wrote:
Back in ye olde times the stagecoach driver would send a runner ahead to receive an official statement on a papyrus. He would pass this on to the Towne Cryer to announce from atop the Church wall to the gathered throng. A young scamp would then be paid sixpence to relay that message back to those of us further afield saving us the tuppence fare and the driver from unnecessarily tiring his horses.
I have heard a few tales of this from various sources. I am sure that they are all as true as the story of our illustrious Magyar of posts passim

Andy, being a modest man, but of substantial means used to send his under-footman to listen for news as he says above. What he misses out, in the interests of modesty, is that on the receipt of news from the under-footman, he used to get the first footman and second footman to convey him in his favourite sedan chair. He was a kind employer and only made them wear full livery on the way to the game (ie down Mucklow Hill) he did not make them perspire in full livery on the way back.

Those of more limited means used to brave the footpads and vagabonds along the Stourbr*dge turnpike. Many of these were dressed in a strange red and white striped garb similar to that worn by prisoners or escapees from the local asylum.

Lord Lutley, being a peer of the realm (as of now, of course simply used to send one of his men to convey a message as to when the match should start (to fit his convenience) and the kick-off time would be rearranged according to his Lordship's whim and pleasure.
Noggin, you are being too kind. I actually used to make them take the long route back so as to avoid the Quinton toll house.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 26 Feb 2020, 20:53

andy wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 18:34
Noggin wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 15:55
andy wrote:

Noggin, you are being too kind. I actually used to make them take the long route back so as to avoid the Quinton toll house.
Whilst all this was going on, was Sir Leslie Prosser of Quarry Bonk in the team at the time?

There's one for all you teenagers out there ;)

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 26 Feb 2020, 20:58

Is Quarry Bonk something out of the Korma Sutra? I believe that other curry houses are also available

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Feb 2020, 21:49

During the medieval period you spaketh of Mr Westwood I believe the Honourable Mr Rudge would send smoke signals from the peaks of Clent to inform would be visitors to the Grove of forthcoming battles.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Feb 2020, 21:59

Even though Josh seems to think most of us are on the verge of pushing up daisies and remember plagues and V*lla actually winning things, but it's got me thinking. What the hell DID we do before mobiles and the internet?

uncle jack and coke
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by uncle jack and coke » 26 Feb 2020, 23:18

andy wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:59
Even though Josh seems to think most of us are on the verge of pushing up daisies and remember plagues and V*lla actually winning things, but it's got me thinking. What the hell DID we do before mobiles and the internet?
I remember that at one time pre mobiles (I think mid to late 80s) there was the "clubline" whereby you rang a dedicated number and got a pre-recorded message about some aspect of the club, dependent on the day of the week. Friday night and Saturday gave details of the weekend match such as injury updates and whether or not there was a pitch inspection due.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 26 Feb 2020, 23:25

uncle jack and coke wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 23:18
andy wrote:
I remember that at one time pre mobiles (I think mid to late 80s) there was the "clubline" whereby you rang a dedicated number and got a pre-recorded message about some aspect of the club, dependent on the day of the week. Friday night and Saturday gave details of the weekend match such as injury updates and whether or not there was a pitch inspection due.
Ah...that was me...Clubline, started by a bloke in a Worcester as I recall...I had a “mobile” phone that I took to matches ... it was like carrying a couple of house bricks ;D

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 26 Feb 2020, 23:45

andy wrote:
Although I jest when I mention the 'old guys', and I trust you guys know it's meant with the respect it deserves, it was meant as a genuine question - how did you know about postponed games back before mobiles? Did you just assume games were off, if the weather was bad?

I know home games were probably irrelevant, most of us can walk to the Grove, or at least live within a short drive to the ground, so it's of little convenience, but what about away days? I'd expect there to be tales of us turning up to away games, only to be told it's off - I mean, that's happened to myself at least three times in the last five years or so!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Feb 2020, 08:05

Clubline! Of course. Remember it now. Driving to away matches often was just taking a chance though and you didn't know until you arrived. Maybe games tended to be called off earlier then so people could be informed before leaving home. I don't remember many occasions of postponements on arrival at the ground.