old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Vase Years

Post by old git » 17 Jan 2020, 15:43

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 15:25
ITV Central News put together by Steve Gill on Youtube
https://youtu.be/KftQUnKamQo
And just for you youngsters that Wembley pitch was the best in the country at the time, and The Grove pitch was about the standard all round non league. These modern refs would have had a fit and never started a game >:( ;D

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 17 Jan 2020, 19:48

These are wonderful videos. Bet there are numerous people who are delighted to see these clips back. I’ve never seen the Vase finals so I enjoyed them for one. Thank you to the gent who pulled them together.

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 17 Jan 2020, 20:20

Fantastic to watch. Would have loved to have been around in those days to have witnessed what was a glorious period for the club. Hopefully those good times are slowly coming back.

Amazing to see how the Grove was then in comparison to how it looks now. I’ve heard so much about our sloping pitch so was interesting to witness that too.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Jan 2020, 20:45

Those clips bring back some memories. The highlights of the Warrington replay dont even do the game itself justice. It was a fantastic game, constant twists and turns and brilliant atmosphere. I was 15. I cant remember the boggy pitches, just the slope on the Harry Rudge side. When I first started coming back after a break of 30 odd years, I didnt think the ground had changed much. Boy was that wrong!
What a team that was. Truly lucky and privileged to see it.

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Poll » 17 Jan 2020, 22:40

That was fantastic.

Still upsetting nearly 37 years later that we lost to VS Rugby. :D

Definitely agree about the 6-3 semi final replay win at Telford - unforgettable - as well as remembering how much the ground has improved over the years. Be much safer getting such massive crowds in The Grove nowadays!

Thanks to whoever put all those clips together - great job 👍

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 17 Jan 2020, 23:15

They were put together by Steve Gill the son of Eric & Madge who were known to Doc and I can remember seeing at The Grove
“Re: First One

Post by YeltzDoc » September 11th, 2018, 10:43 am

I used to sit next to an old bloke with one leg who'd been at Dunkirk (I don't know where the other leg had been...) Can't remember his name though.
And I sat in front of Eric and Madge Gill who sponsored Malcolm for donkey's years.”

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 18 Jan 2020, 11:54

Some great footage of Paul McCone early on in his career ;)

OmmerUmYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by OmmerUmYeltz » 19 Jan 2020, 13:58

The one-legged gent was probably Wilf Allard. He was a regular visitor to my grandparents' house in Old Hawne Lane, so I knew him quite well. My grandad Major Salt was a Yeltz regular in his younger days, when the Villa weren't at home.

Eric Gill - wasn't he a stalwart of Halesowen Conservative Club too? Pretty sure I played snooker with his son there in the 80's.

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 19 Jan 2020, 14:21

its a pity the footage did nt show the disgraceful purposeful tackle by Crawley that put Lee Joinson out of the game and for which Crawley should have been dismissed, he would have been if it had nt been a final . Naturally it was the cheat who went on to score the winner. Where was VAR then , even that would have got it right unlike the ref who bottled it.