Footballing cricketers

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Footballing cricketers

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 30 Dec 2019, 08:26

https://www.northleighfc.co.uk

Local goalkeeper Matthew Howard signs and keeps a massive clean sheet on his debut in the Boxing Day Derby last Thursday.
Local goalkeeper Matthew Howard had a day to remember on his North Leigh debut helping the Millers secure a brilliant win against local rivals Didcot Town and keep a well earned clean sheet in the process.

Matt joins from Witney & District Premier Division side Spartan Rangers, replacing the unavailable Freddie Lapworth who was called into action for his parent club Cheltenham Town’s 1st team fixture against Plymouth Argyle.

He started off the season with Carterton FC’s first team having formerly played at local side Hollybush for the last few seasons.

Despite some fantastic reflexes and a great long-range kick on him, he wasn’t always a goalkeeper having started off his football career as a striker with Brize Norton.

Matt also puts his sporting abilities to good use during the summer with one of the other biggest clubs in Oxfordshire, the Witney Swifts cricket club.
Just spotted this on the North Leigh Twitter feed. I know footballers playing cricket in the summer months was once a common sight, but it's not something you see very often, nowadays.

This leads me to the question; How many Yeltz players have appeared for us, while playing for Halesowen Cricket Club, if any?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Footballing cricketers

Post by KenR » 30 Dec 2019, 11:59

only one springs to mind, Trevor Argent, who played at full back for Yeltz and was a fast bowler for halesowen cricket club in the early/mid sixties. I think that serval players may have played for Coombs Wood cricket club though. I'll keep thinking.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 30 Dec 2019, 12:19

Trevor Argent immediately came to my mind. He formed a very good opening bowling partnership at HCC with Carl Williamson. We spent many a happy hour watching them. Trevor is their Chairman and is a regularly in the Harry Rudge Stand.
If you extend the criteria to over the border into Lye, Danny McDonnell is another. Goalie and wicket keeper to a certain extent go together.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 30 Dec 2019, 12:29

Last week Old Hill CC posted a photo of their team from 1960 and the wicket keeper was Arthur Coley who was a very loyal Yeltz trainer and player.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 30 Dec 2019, 13:22

Not sure Danny McDonnell played for Lye (his brother did) but certainly played at St*urbridge and, most recently, Pedmore. Both Ross and Lee Collins played a bit of cricket at Romsley- not Halesowen, granted, but still fairly local.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 30 Dec 2019, 17:10

Oh and Dan Platt still periodically plays for Bewdley, though I’ve never known him keep wicket!