Rearranged matches

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Rearranged matches

Post by juanillo » 20 Nov 2019, 13:13

In the last 7 weeks we have played only 3 league games, yet from the end of November we are currently due to play 9 league games in 5 weeks starting with Wantage and ending with Kidlington. Thame at home is now on December 10th.

I understand about trying to rearrange matches early so there is not a backlog later in the event of a bad winter, but I would question thaving wo December home midweek games in a row with another home game sandwiched in between. Bedford is rearranged for December 3rd and St Neots at home is on the 7th. I don't think that's ideal for fans, but more importantly it could have an impact on the team's great progress.

With only one team going up directly, the game against Berkhamsted on the 14th is clearly the biggest game of the season so far and I don't think rescheduling a match just a few days before is the best preparation given the volume of games we already have next month.

Some may hold the view that if we are winning, it's good to keep momentum etc, but you have to take wear and tear into account as well.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Rearranged matches

Post by andy » 20 Nov 2019, 13:25

Have to agree. That's the unfortunate downside to cup runs. FA Cup and Trophy aside I'd happily go out of anything else 1st round. Not as bad as it used to be though.
FA Cup, FA Trophy, BSC, WSC, SSC and League Cup contested on a group basis then knockout.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 20 Nov 2019, 15:53

Yes, and it will get worse if we were to beat Gateshead.

I was a bit surprised at the relative strength of the team last night given that the BSC has to be the least important competition.

Notwithstanding the backlog due to cup matches, I do think one or two games could have been arranged for Feb or March rather than the rush to seemingly squeeze as much as possible into December.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 20 Nov 2019, 16:04

I just want to use my season ticket at some point!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Wheels
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Wheels » 20 Nov 2019, 16:32

juanillo wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 15:53
Yes, and it will get worse if we were to beat Gateshead.

I was a bit surprised at the relative strength of the team last night given that the BSC has to be the least important competition.

Notwithstanding the backlog due to cup matches, I do think one or two games could have been arranged for Feb or March rather than the rush to seemingly squeeze as much as possible into December.
This notwithstanding I think in case any management read this forum we should point out that we would love to beat Gateshead on Saturday and I confident we can.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 20 Nov 2019, 17:45

juanillo wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 13:13
In the last 7 weeks we have played only 3 league games, yet from the end of November we are currently due to play 9 league games in 5 weeks starting with Wantage and ending with Kidlington. Thame at home is now on December 10th.

I understand about trying to rearrange matches early so there is not a backlog later in the event of a bad winter, but I would question thaving wo December home midweek games in a row with another home game sandwiched in between. Bedford is rearranged for December 3rd and St Neots at home is on the 7th. I don't think that's ideal for fans, but more importantly it could have an impact on the team's great progress.

With only one team going up directly, the game against Berkhamsted on the 14th is clearly the biggest game of the season so far and I don't think rescheduling a match just a few days before is the best preparation given the volume of games we already have next month.

Some may hold the view that if we are winning, it's good to keep momentum etc, but you have to take wear and tear into account as well.
Of course a winning result on Saturday would mean the Berkhamsted game on the 14th being postponed.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 20 Nov 2019, 19:53

Everyone seems really happy we've had a couple of decent cup runs this year, but I think it makes it a lot easier that it's a 38-game league season, with very few midweek fixtures required. We've had to play 46 games in recent seasons and that's a LOT of fixtures.

Not that you'd be able to tell with our away record in the league (still 100%), but I think the players really enjoy playing at The Grove. The three home games in a week will be good for us to gather momentum and a 9-point return would put us right on the tail of Corby and Berko. I'd imagine it's good for cashflow as well!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 20 Nov 2019, 21:52

piearce9 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 19:53
Everyone seems really happy we've had a couple of decent cup runs this year, but I think it makes it a lot easier that it's a 38-game league season, with very few midweek fixtures required. We've had to play 46 games in recent seasons and that's a LOT of fixtures.

Not that you'd be able to tell with our away record in the league (still 100%), but I think the players really enjoy playing at The Grove. The three home games in a week will be good for us to gather momentum and a 9-point return would put us right on the tail of Corby and Berko. I'd imagine it's good for cashflow as well!
It's not so much the amount of games that concerns me. It's falling too many games behind direct competitors. To have to win EVERY game in hand just to stay in touch is difficult. That said I have every confidence that we can do it as we have a cracking squad. I just so want to get out of this league at ALL costs. It will all be much clearer in 6 weeks time once we've played all the games in hand. ( If Trophy run allows! )

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 23 Nov 2019, 21:24

Re arrangement of league fixtures Rule 8.39 save in exceptional circumstances, be within 42 days of the original date.

I personally believe we have a squad that can cope with the two games a week.

Should we go down to Saturday games only it would be hard to keep the squad happy.

Lets all enjoy this ride it's been a long time coming.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Nov 2019, 22:09

JohnC wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 21:24
Re arrangement of league fixtures Rule 8.39 save in exceptional circumstances, be within 42 days of the original date.

I personally believe we have a squad that can cope with the two games a week.

Should we go down to Saturday games only it would be hard to keep the squad happy.

Lets all enjoy this ride it's been a long time coming.
Within 42 days, blimey. That's a good idea in a way though to stop massive congestion at the end of the season. At the moment I believe we can cope with 2 games a week but it's a big ask to win them all. If God forbid we start getting injuries it could be a different matter, but at the moment JC I agree, bring 'em on!!!!