Squad so Far

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Squad so Far

Post by piearce9 » 01 Jun 2019, 19:14

Don’t be surprised if none of the team from the final day are starting the first game of the new season. Massive clearout was required, and the handful that could still realistically cut it at Step 3 will most likely head back there.

Totally agree on Reece Francis being the likely choice for keeper but I think (in my very limited opinion) that Sarge is a better option and might be tempted back.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 01 Jun 2019, 19:23

andy wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 17:38
Jamie Molineux returns as well. I make that nine signings now. Any news at all on current players staying or departing?
With Platt going, there's now only 2 or 3 players I'd want to see return. Clearout is needed and hopefully it's what we're getting.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 01 Jun 2019, 21:24

When Ali signed on contract last pre-season, I recall it was mentioned that he was the first player since Haseley to be given a contract.

This pre-season has seen several players sign on contracts already. Am I correct in thinking the main point of a contract at this level is the fact another team would need to pay a fee in order to sign that player? I would also assume the player gets paid weekly, regardless of whether he plays or not.

I take these contract signings as an indication of a good increase in budget from last season, which in turn I assume cones from Mapei and Seven Capital.

I just find it intriguing that we now have several players on contract when traditionally it's not been the case for a number of years.

All very positive.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 01 Jun 2019, 22:34

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 21:24
When Ali signed on contract last pre-season, I recall it was mentioned that he was the first player since Haseley to be given a contract.

This pre-season has seen several players sign on contracts already. Am I correct in thinking the main point of a contract at this level is the fact another team would need to pay a fee in order to sign that player? I would also assume the player gets paid weekly, regardless of whether he plays or not.

Totally correct. I just hope these players justify that tag or they can become a burden costs wise. It's ironic that we can put players on contract at a lower level when we couldn't manage it at the higher level and lost several good players for nothing. Still, it's all a good sign for the future and hopefully these players will be finding success with us, not elsewhere!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 02 Jun 2019, 09:58

It’s a bit of a gamble putting players on contract. Last season we started off with a hungry striker and I took one look and said “we HAVE to put that guy on a contract immediately”.

And sure enough, he departed a few weeks later and came back to score against us for Barwell. If only people would listen to my advice more. ???

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 02 Jun 2019, 10:58

piearce9 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 09:58
It’s a bit of a gamble putting players on contract. Last season we started off with a hungry striker and I took one look and said “we HAVE to put that guy on a contract immediately”.

And sure enough, he departed a few weeks later and came back to score against us for Barwell. If only people would listen to my advice more. ???
Are you talking about Wright? ;)

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 02 Jun 2019, 18:21

I would imagine that the reason for players being put on contract would be to put a stop to the 'revolving door' scenario that was so prevalent in previous seasons.
Keith McKenna said, at the fan's forum, that he was keen to see a settled playing staff and Paul Smith is obviously of the same opinion.
Last edited by lutleyyeltz on 02 Jun 2019, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 02 Jun 2019, 18:46

lutleyyeltz wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 18:21
I would imagine that the reason for players being put on contract would be to put a stop to the 'revolving door' scenario that was si prevalent in previous seasons.
Keith McKenna said, at the fan's forum, was keen to see a settled playing staff and Paul Smith is obviously if the same opinion.
And it's the correct move for the club to make.

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 03 Jun 2019, 13:09

Goalkeepers

Defenders
James Bowen
James Ashmore
Lewis Wright
Rob Evans
Andy Parsons

Midfielders
George Forsyth (Defender/Midfielder)

Forwards
Luke Yates
Jamie Lucas
Jamie Molineux

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 03 Jun 2019, 13:39

Still none of last year's squad then. We probably will start the new season with a completely fresh 11.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0