Worst nightmare!

Post by lutleyyeltz » 23 Nov 2011, 08:46

B***ox!
Anybody care to comment on a certain local result from last night? :'(

RichardG
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Worst nightmare!

Post by RichardG » 23 Nov 2011, 09:14

Yes; delighted for them, a fantastic achievement of which they should be justly proud.

Unfortunately, there's the other side of the coin. I can't help but compare what's been happening at Stourbr*dge over the last few seasons, and what's happened down at the Grove. For them, 1st round of the FA Cup two out of the last three seasons, and now the 2nd round for the first time; steady progress through the league and now 8th place with games in hand, and a play-off place a realistic possibility; a steady squad of good players, an excellent manager, and a well run club financially. For us.... well, there's really nothing to say is there. We've been well and truly replaced as the premier local side now, and I can't see that situation being challenged for many a long year. 2700 or so there last night! How many of those will become steady Stour fans now, and not Yeltz fans; how many are former Yeltz never to return? I've said before that, in my opinion, many non-league fans follow a side as their 'second' team without a deeper emotional connection (just my opinion I stress; I could be wrong). If so, they're as likely to follow which ever side is sucessful as any other. And given what's going on at Amblecote, why would you go to the Grove right now? Still, I do...(must be mad!).

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 23 Nov 2011, 09:43

I agree Richard. But there is light at the end of the tunnel for The Yeltz.

Ground is looking good after a lot of hard graft, work will happen on the pitch in the summer. A season of consolidation hopefully so things on and off the pitch calm down. Attendances are higher than last season (slighlty), and hopefully will continue to improve.

Well done for Stourbr*dge last night! Having another local non league side doing well can only be good news for the area as a whole. GH has done a really good job in his nine years there, with promotion, steady stream on local players who have played together for a long time, good cup runs and well positioned in the league.

We have not had much success in the cup this year but its good to be back in the FA Cup after a few years absence.

Things can only get better in my opinion.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 23 Nov 2011, 09:56

Two great responses from RichardG and Guesty. I started the thread as a result of looking at the Glassboys' forum this morning and seeing a phrase in one post - "I wonder how they're feeling in Halesowen, this morning?"

I am feeling jealous, frankly, and totally agree that we are NOT the team of the area anymore. I am, personally, pleased that STFC have achieved what they have thus far - it shows what a well-run outfit can achieve.
I can't be mealymouthed about their steady rise in stature and just wish that our shortlived meteoric rise and then our equally meteoric fall into the abyss of mediocrity had never happened. However, we are where we are and I will, with the usual suspects, continue to visit The Grove and hope that there is something on the horizon that can restore some of the pride that once ran through the veins of all Yeltzmen. :(

watsisnerm
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by watsisnerm » 23 Nov 2011, 12:40

i`ve followed htfc for over 30 years now ( in those days we weren`t very good and there was about a dozen supporters and a dog) what got us to be a well supported team was the cup runs (even though the team was building together and getting league success, usually winning 6-1!) s`bridge will probably see this benefit also, but if teams lose supporters towards the current successful team, then they will also lose them when the team isn`t as successful (they aren`t real supporters, just followers)
we might not be happy at the moment but remember we`ve been there, done that, 3 wembly finals, 2 vase wins, fa cup 1st round 7 or 8 times in a row ( plus all the other great cup runs, promotions, winning the 6 aside tournament floodlights was an amazing day!) s`bridge are playing catch up adding to their CV , we never gave them a thought during our successful decades and they were lower than we are now. so its the cup that will increase the league attendances, with us we went well over 1000 each match and out of that you hope to build loyalty for the future to support you during bad times.
lets hope that we get our game together and our two teams end up in the same league having good supporters playing great derby games

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 23 Nov 2011, 13:28

It's nice to see that, so far, there has been a positive reaction to our neighbours success. :o

yeltzdan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by yeltzdan » 23 Nov 2011, 13:57

Why be mean spirited about it? It's painful to say but they should held up as an example of how to run a successful non-league club. Stability off the pitch and local players with an attachment to the club on it - they've a lot to be proud of in my opinion.
These cup runs could end up costing them promotion though - they'll be playing two games a week for the rest of the season. Oh dear...

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Nov 2011, 20:26

Well i am a mealy mouthed sourpuss. I'm f***in' gutted.(Would anyone that knows me expect anything different) ;). I hate to see them, as our local rivals, winning anything. With my Bluenose hat on, i hate to see the V*lla win anything as well. Please dont any V*lla fans come on here saying they wish the Blues all the best, or Baggies fans come on saying the Tatters are thier second love, as it doesn't wash. They don't like us, we don't like them, end of.

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 24 Nov 2011, 08:30

In the spirit of non league supporters I wish them well. That is why at our levels "real" fans can have a drink and chat with opposition fans before and after a match.

Yes "it could have been us" but it wasn't.

Under the new regime we can but only hope for the future although it may take a while.

Unfortunately for Stourbr*dge in the league they have a good start to the season and games in hands, but good cup runs like they have had in the past few years they have not capitalized on those games and ended up below the playoffs.

Perhaps next season forget the team talk pre-cup matches show them a DVD of Stourbr*dge highlights this season.

Sincerely good luck to Stourbr*dge in the next round.

Segregation for Andy please!!!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 24 Nov 2011, 08:38

Thankfully Andy has shown that we aren't all a bunch of softies! At least the forum is now showing signs of it's old form - hard-hitting opinion and possibly personal abuse. :-X