Redditch change their manager

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Redditch change their manager

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 17 Sep 2018, 18:06

After defeat to Coalville they announce Paul Smith will be their new manager. A very good move by Redditch, IMO.

We could've done a lot worse than Paul Smith, if his time at Bromsgrove was anything to go by.

It's interesting to see several teams in our league reacting to poor starts. Given we're just two points off the drop zone and winless in six league games, I hope we either start to get results or we don't get dragged in and isolated before it's too late!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Redditch change their manager

Post by Yeltz27 » 17 Sep 2018, 21:37

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 18:06
It's interesting to see several teams in our league reacting to poor starts. Given we're just two points off the drop zone and winless in six league games, I hope we either start to get results or we don't get dragged in and isolated before it's too late!
Results won’t make any difference, our new owners won’t do anything regardless of whatever happens

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 18 Sep 2018, 07:43

It's quite depressing, isn't it?
The majority of the regulars at The Grove are of the same opinion - at least those that I regularly chat with. We can all see that the quality of player that we have is good, with a mixture of experience, ability and youth.
Unfortunately this group is not being allowed to show that ability and the potential that it has by the present dugout duo.
The great strides being made off the pitch are being nullified by the failure to deliver results on 'the green stuff.'
The apparent reluctance to consider change pitchside is totally the opposite of the positive stance that has been taken to put the club onto a firm financial foundation.
I find this difficult to understand.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Sep 2018, 08:53

lutleyyeltz wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 07:43
The majority of the regulars at The Grove are of the same opinion - at least those that I regularly chat with. We can all see that the quality of player that we have is good, with a mixture of experience, ability and youth.
Unfortunately this group is not being allowed to show that ability and the potential that it has by the present dugout duo.
The great strides being made off the pitch are being nullified by the failure to deliver results on 'the green stuff.'
The apparent reluctance to consider change pitchside is totally the opposite of the positive stance that has been taken to put the club onto a firm financial foundation.
I'm starting to believe and fear he is ubsackable. If this is the case, then fans deserve to know why.

I sincerely hope it's not the case.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Sep 2018, 08:54

lutleyyeltz wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 07:43
Great post, by the way.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 18 Sep 2018, 10:40

As important as what happens off the field is, most of the fans would have wanted the previous owner to leave purely because if he didn’t, there would be no hope of a change of management. It is extremely unfortunate that one of our new owners has been known to say that John Hill is the best manager we have had in twenty years. Therefore, anybody hoping for change in the near future will be massively disappointed I expect

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 18 Sep 2018, 17:20

Regrettably, that is the situation.
I just wonder at what point the penny will drop? When it's too late, probably.
'He what hesitates is lost' - and in this case it may well turn out to be painfully true.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 19 Sep 2018, 09:44

Yeltz27 wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:40
As important as what happens off the field is, most of the fans would have wanted the previous owner to leave purely because if he didn’t, there would be no hope of a change of management. It is extremely unfortunate that one of our new owners has been known to say that John Hill is the best manager we have had in twenty years. Therefore, anybody hoping for change in the near future will be massively disappointed I expect
John Chambers
Alan Moore
Brendan Philips
Paul Holleran
Martyn O'Connor
Morell M**s*n
Matt Clarke
Nardiello and Thorpe
Shaun Cunnington
John Hill

That covers 20 years. We should have a vote........

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 19 Sep 2018, 13:38

HalesowenHarry wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 09:44
Yeltz27 wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:40
John Chambers
Alan Moore
Brendan Philips
Paul Holleran
Martyn O'Connor
Morell M**s*n
Matt Clarke
Nardiello and Thorpe
Shaun Cunnington
John Hill

That covers 20 years. We should have a vote........
I'll let those who have witnessed the full 20 years cast their vote, I can't comment on all the the above, but if John Hill has been the best in 20 years, it's been an awful two decades for this club!

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 19 Sep 2018, 13:58

Year finish Level
1998 5th Tier 3
1999 8th Tier 3
2000 11th Tier 3
2001 22nd Tier 3
2002 1st Tier 4
2003 19th Tier 3
2004 4th Tier 4
2005 9th Tier 3
2006 8th Tier 3
2007 6th Tier 3
2008 3rd Tier 3
2009 10th Tier 3
2010 8th Tier 3
2011 21st Tier 3
2012 12th Tier 4
2013 7th Tier 4
2014 1st Tier 4
2015 11th Tier 3
2016 13th Tier 3
2017 19th Tier 3
2018 23rd Tier 3

Bored over lunch, so thought I'd look back at our finishing positions over that period...we also reached the first round of the FA Cup in 2005. The stats shows we've achieved nothing exceptional since John took over - in terms of league position. In fact his best finish, 11th at tier 3 in 2015 has been bettered 8 times in that period and equaled once.

The worrying thing about the above list, is the regression under John Hill since the 2014/2015 season, where, at one stage, we had a real chance to push for the play offs, but tailed off massively towards the end of the season. It's been absolute tripe since then, hasn't it? Save the odd exceptional result / performance.