Starting team v Lowestoft

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Starting team v Lowestoft

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 30 Jul 2018, 13:53

Just out of interest (and lunchtime boredom) how would you line up in our first match assuming everyone is fully fit?

Just mentioning on a separate thread that I'd go 3-5-2.

Platt

Baker Asa Lewis

Ekongo Goddard Ali Warmer Kelly

Ebanks-Blake Hughes

Presumably we'll all have different permutations!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Starting team v Lowestoft

Post by andy » 30 Jul 2018, 15:31

Is Warmer not injured?
Other than that probably a fair shout. Bragoli I guess will play.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Jul 2018, 15:35

Or Lawton.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Jul 2018, 15:36

.....or Derek. ;D

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 30 Jul 2018, 16:08

I don't think you're at all far from the mark with that line up.

In terms of formation, I did think it went well first half vs Newtown with a 4-1-3-2 (or at least that's what it looked like to me), with the full backs having licence to go forward to give width. However I do still think we are ropey at centre back and if playing a back three helps to give us a bit more stability then it may be worth it. I know Brago has "filled in" at centre back but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a claim to play there more permanently.

Other observation is that Hughes and SEB are a similar target-man mould, whereas Derek and MacPherson appear to be quick and nippy types. Call me "old skool" but I do think it works best having one of each. I wonder whether Hughes will feature more as a substitute as he's excellent as an impact player (whether we're winning OR losing). It's a nice headache to have though, and each of them offers something different.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 30 Jul 2018, 16:23

andy wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:31
Is Warmer not injured?
Other than that probably a fair shout. Bragoli I guess will play.
how would you line up in our first match assuming everyone is fully fit?
::) ::)

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 30 Jul 2018, 16:25

Who is captain for the season, by the way? Is it Bragoli?

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 30 Jul 2018, 17:24

piearce9 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 16:25
Who is captain for the season, by the way? Is it Bragoli?
I'm presuming so, given he's been captain for most of pre-season .Ali has worn the armband on occasions too.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 30 Jul 2018, 17:32

piearce9 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 16:08
I don't think you're at all far from the mark with that line up.

In terms of formation, I did think it went well first half vs Newtown with a 4-1-3-2 (or at least that's what it looked like to me), with the full backs having licence to go forward to give width. However I do still think we are ropey at centre back and if playing a back three helps to give us a bit more stability then it may be worth it. I know Brago has "filled in" at centre back but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a claim to play there more permanently.

Other observation is that Hughes and SEB are a similar target-man mould, whereas Derek and MacPherson appear to be quick and nippy types. Call me "old skool" but I do think it works best having one of each. I wonder whether Hughes will feature more as a substitute as he's excellent as an impact player (whether we're winning OR losing). It's a nice headache to have though, and each of them offers something different.
Lee Hughes looks the fittest player and with respect to the other members of the squad arguably the player with most quality. I'd be very surprised and disappointed to see him play a bit part role despite his age.

I'd assume that early on in the season Ebanks-Blake would play a bit part role while he gets up to match fitness. So I would suggest he'd start and play 45-60 mins with Agbor coming on as a replacement. Or vice-versa.

Bragoli has done OK at CB but I'd rather see a natural CB play in that role. As I've said before, I want to see round pegs in round holes. But I would ask how many games are we going to get out of Asa? Can we expect him to play 90 mins three times a week?

We definitely need more quality to come in at CB. I'd love to see a Joel Kettle or Joe Hull return to fill that void.

Sanmiguel
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Sanmiguel » 30 Jul 2018, 18:01

More quality? How about John Hill Junior at CB?