Worcester Senior Cup.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Worcester Senior Cup.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Jul 2018, 08:52

I like the idea that this competition now serves as a pre-season fixture filler - all be only four sides have entered.

Now, I along with many others have been critical of the lack of quality in recent years of our pre-season fixtures. So what would other people think about us entering this competition, as we once did? I'm presuming we are eligible to enter, unless the rules have changed in that regard.

The final will be contested between Alvechurch and Redditch (Kiddy and Evesham beaten semi finalists) on Thursday, I believe. Both sides that we will face this year, so it certainly provides good competition. Competition that's much better than Tipton, Dudley Sports, Wolverhampton Sporting and the like.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Worcester Senior Cup.

Post by andy » 23 Jul 2018, 12:35

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The only problem I see is we would then get into a situation of byes unless there were 8 teams. With just 5 teams i suppose it would only mean 2 teams playing each other to reach the 'last 4' so not that difficult.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Jul 2018, 13:19

andy wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:35
Wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The only problem I see is we would then get into a situation of byes unless there were 8 teams. With just 5 teams i suppose it would only mean 2 teams playing each other to reach the 'last 4' so not that difficult.
Possibly have it seeded. So the lowest ranked sides play each other then the winner of that goes to the semi final. Not ideal.

If you had eight teams participating (even WBA U-21'S etc) you could to groups of four teams so each team is guaranteed the fixtures. Then the top team from each group play a final. Or the top two go through to the semi finals. Just an idea that will probably never happen!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 24 Jul 2018, 20:49

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:19
andy wrote:
Possibly have it seeded. So the lowest ranked sides play each other then the winner of that goes to the semi final. Not ideal.

If you had eight teams participating (even WBA U-21'S etc) you could to groups of four teams so each team is guaranteed the fixtures. Then the top team from each group play a final. Or the top two go through to the semi finals. Just an idea that will probably never happen!
Great idea! Like you say would be more competitive and give us a bit more of a test and an idea of how the squad looks against better quality opposition. Plus it’s a competition we didn’t use to do too bad in back in the day so would give us a chance of silverware.

On a slightly related note I did suggest a couple of years ago (can’t remember if on here or just drunken ramblings after a few sherbets) of having a mini No.9 pre-season tournament between ourselves, Stourbr*dge, Lye and Cradley Town.

You could have semi finals home and away and the winners play in a final at the ground of the team who had the best aggregate score in their respective semi final or just drawn out of a hat if this was level. Or you could have it as a group competition and alternate grounds every year.

Again think this would generate a lot of interest in the local area and might be a way of getting more folk interested in non-league football.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 24 Jul 2018, 21:12

dalevillain wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 20:49
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
andy wrote:

Great idea! Like you say would be more competitive and give us a bit more of a test and an idea of how the squad looks against better quality opposition. Plus it’s a competition we didn’t use to do too bad in back in the day so would give us a chance of silverware.

On a slightly related note I did suggest a couple of years ago (can’t remember if on here or just drunken ramblings after a few sherbets) of having a mini No.9 pre-season tournament between ourselves, Stourbr*dge, Lye and Cradley Town.

You could have semi finals home and away and the winners play in a final at the ground of the team who had the best aggregate score in their respective semi final or just drawn out of a hat if this was level. Or you could have it as a group competition and alternate grounds every year.

Again think this would generate a lot of interest in the local area and might be a way of getting more folk interested in non-league football.
Bloody heck! This is all getting very complicated ;) C'mon chaps,keep it simple so I can Joinson in :)

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 25 Jul 2018, 13:43

dalevillain wrote:
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
andy wrote:

Great idea for a piss up, that!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 25 Jul 2018, 17:42

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 13:43
dalevillain wrote:
AwayDayYeltz wrote:

Great idea for a piss up, that!
Yep, that’s probably why I thought about it. ;D

I’d love us to play Lye in a friendly or a cup competition at theirs at some point - a) because I’ve never been and it would be a new ground to mark off and b) It would be a perfect excuse to visit the Sadler’s for a few pre match drinks!