2018/19 squad.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: 2018/19 squad.

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 26 Jul 2018, 18:16

andy wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:31
TBH I just don't read anything into friendlies, which is why for many years I haven't bothered with them. When I did, some years we had players who looked great in them and turned out to be crap once the season started for real. We've had great preseasons and then started the season poorly and on the flip side I've seen desperate preseasons that bore no resemblance to the decent season that followed. Most of the triallists never see the light of day here again, but we have to try them out in these games to find the odd gem. If I was you just treat them as a kickabout and nothing more. When we play Lowestoft on the opening day we will see if the management have made good choices and if the 'kickabouts' have been any use in that way. For me it's all just about players regaining match fitness in time for the start of the new campaign.
Completely agree with you - I just feel excited for the new season, regardless. I think I'm making up for last season when I couldn't be more apathetic. Thankfully the Brookes' have reignited my excitement for Yeltz football.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Jul 2018, 21:20

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 18:16
andy wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:31
TBH I just don't read anything into friendlies, which is why for many years I haven't bothered with them. When I did, some years we had players who looked great in them and turned out to be crap once the season started for real. We've had great preseasons and then started the season poorly and on the flip side I've seen desperate preseasons that bore no resemblance to the decent season that followed. Most of the triallists never see the light of day here again, but we have to try them out in these games to find the odd gem. If I was you just treat them as a kickabout and nothing more. When we play Lowestoft on the opening day we will see if the management have made good choices and if the 'kickabouts' have been any use in that way. For me it's all just about players regaining match fitness in time for the start of the new campaign.
Completely agree with you - I just feel excited for the new season, regardless. I think I'm making up for last season when I couldn't be more apathetic. Thankfully the Brookes' have reignited my excitement for Yeltz football.
Hear, hear!

venki
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by venki » 26 Jul 2018, 22:08

So Ebanks-Blake, the new Iyseden Christie?

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 26 Jul 2018, 22:08

Slyvan Ebanks-Blake. Wow. Hope he's still got the desire. He's only 32 as well!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 26 Jul 2018, 23:26

What a signing that is!

Can’t imagine Lee Hughes will be a regular next season at the age of 42 but him and Ebanks-Blake could be a decent partnership up front even if only for bit parts of the game. It’s that experience and know how that we’ve really lacked in our previous seasons - probably since Iysden Christie left really.

Really looking forward to the start of the season, hope the two of them get some game time on Saturday to put the partnership into practice.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 27 Jul 2018, 06:47

Well, that excites me. What a bloody signing. I hope he's here for footballing reasons and not just a pay day.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 27 Jul 2018, 07:39

Nothing like the signing of a "name" to whet the fan's appetites! 👍

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 27 Jul 2018, 09:06

Just looking at his recent stats.

Didn't play a league game for Telford last season in the National League North, but played 1 cup game and scored 2 goals. He played just 15 games in the 2016/2017 season (8 for Chesterfield - 1 goal and 7 for Shrewsbury - 0 goals - both in League One). So just 16 games and 3 goals in 2 full seasons. That to me shouts injury problems? Anyone got anymore info and the lack of recent game time?

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 27 Jul 2018, 09:18

Can we just give him a chance!
When Hughesie signed the usual negativity surfaced regarding age, attitude etc.
As it happened he is now a fan's favourite and his age and attitude probably saved us from relegation, last season.
It's glorious weather, the club is in good hands and I'll be with mates in the "Eddie" and at The Grove on Saturday. What is there to be negative about?

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 27 Jul 2018, 09:23

lutleyyeltz wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 09:18
Can we just give him a chance!
When Hughesie signed the usual negativity surfaced regarding age, attitude etc.
As it happened he is now a fan's favourite and his age and attitude probably saved us from relegation, last season.
It's glorious weather, the club is in good hands and I'll be with mates in the "Eddie" and at The Grove on Saturday. What is there to be negative about?
I think you may have taken my post the wrong way. I wasn't being negative (or at least not trying to be!) - just genuinely asking a question regarding his recent seasons. I'm actually pleased and excited - see earlier post.

If he's fit and has the correct attitude he will no doubt be an excellent signing. I for one can't wait to see him and Hughes up front together, hopefully they gel. If they do, that's some strike force we potentially have.

See you in the Eddy tomorrow, I'll be there at 13:58.