Dutch Ref

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Dutch Ref

Post by Dutchreferee » 29 Mar 2020, 18:18

Indeed wast here some years ago a discussion about the rubber fill in from the pitches. read the following article :
Abstract
New research by the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) indicates that the health risk of playing sports on synthetic turf pitches with an infill of rubber granulate is virtually negligible. Therefore, it is considered safe for people to play sports on such pitches. The research was conducted following public concerns prompted by the Dutch TV programme Zembla called 'Dangerous Play' in October 2016. RIVM hopes that the results of the research will help to answer questions from ministries, municipalities, sports clubs and parents.

To evaluate the health risks of playing sports on rubber granulate, it is important to determine which hazardous substances are contained in the granulate and to what extent they may be released. Subsequently, it should be examined how people playing sports can come into contact with these substances and whether this can lead to health effects. Rubber granulate contains numerous substances, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), metals, plasticisers (phthalates) and bisphenol A (BPA). These substances were found to be released from the granulate in very low amounts. This is because the substances are more or less 'enclosed' in the granulate, which means that the effect of these substances on human health is virtually negligible.

What did RIVM investigate?
RIVM determined the substances in rubber granulate from 100 sports pitches that are representative of the synthetic turf pitches in the Netherlands. The institute further performed three types of laboratory tests to examine the release of substances from the granulate if a person playing sport comes into contact with them. These 'migration studies' were used to assess to which extent substances can enter the human body via the skin, via the gastrointestinal tract or via the lungs. This was used to calculate human exposure to the released substances and how this can affect health. In addition, RIVM studied the information available in the scientific literature on substances in rubber granulate, their properties and their health effects.

Is there a link with leukaemia?
No indications were found in the available literature of a link between playing sports on synthetic turf pitches with an infill of rubber granulate and the incidence of leukaemia and lymphoma. No international research has demonstrated this connection. Moreover, it is clear from the composition of the rubber granulate that the chemical substances that are capable of causing leukaemia or lymphoma are either not present (benzene, styrene and 1,3-butadiene) or are present in a very low amount (2-mercaptobenzothiazole). Since the 1980s, a slight rise has been observed in the number of people aged between 10 and 29 who get leukaemia. This trend has not changed since pitches made of synthetic turf were first used in the Netherlands in 2001.

Information from new American research will be available early 2017. As rubber granulate has been used on football pitches in the United States for a longer period of time (since 1997), it will be possible to analyse over a longer period whether a link exists between playing sports on synthetic turf pitches and getting leukaemia. RIVM is in contact with the researchers and is keeping a sharp eye on the research.

Rubber granulate in the environment
This research focuses on potential health risks for people who play sports on synthetic turf pitches with an infill of rubber granulate. The research confirms earlier insights showing that the rubber granulate contains metals capable of entering the environment. In particular, zinc was found to be released from the granulate. This metal is not hazardous to humans, but can have consequences for organisms in the soil or surface water.

Does rubber granulate meet requirements?
Rubber granulate needs to fulfil the regulatory requirements for 'mixtures'. This concentration limit prescribes the maximum permissible amount of certain substances allowed in rubber granulate (there is no limit for how much may be released). This concentration limit concerns substances that are carcinogenic (such as PAHs), hazardous for reproduction or that damage DNA. The amount of PAHs in rubber granulate easily satisfies this concentration limit. The concentration limit for consumer products is far more stringent: it allows far lower amounts of PAHs (100 to 1000 times lower) compared with the concentration limit for mixtures. The amount of PAH in rubber granulate is slightly higher than the concentration limit for consumer products. The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) is currently conducting research to determine a suitable concentration limit for rubber granulate. RIVM recommends adjusting the concentration limit for rubber granulate to one that is closer to the concentration limit applicable to consumer products.

Why is rubber granulate used for football pitches?
Rubber granulate is finely crushed rubber particles that are usually made from old car tyres. When used as infill on pitches of synthetic turf, it gives the pitch properties similar to normal turf. It means the ball does not roll too fast and does not bounce too high, and makes the synthetic turf better suited to sliding tackles than it would be without the granulate. Synthetic turf pitches can be used intensively all year around and need less maintenance.

A lot is invested nowadays in order to reuse old products as a raw material for new products. This also applies to car tyres. The questions that have arisen about the safety of rubber granulate show that tension may exist between the reuse of materials and concerns about the health risks of new products.

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 29 Mar 2020, 18:25

Product development
Since the end of 2006, the development of synthetic turf structures has accelerated again
because of the negative publicity about the crushed car tires in the fields. Although research has
proved that SBR rubber does not pose any direct danger
for public health and the environment, are there anyway
new systems developed. Also introducing the
FIFA standards and usage standard determine the
product development, which focuses in particular on
environmental friendliness and sustainability. Meanwhile
there are alternatives to SBR rubber:
• thermoplastic elastomers
(TPE, rubbers specially made for this purpose);
• Cork;
• geo-infill, in which natural materials,
such as peat fibers have been processed.
Thanks to the usage standard, constructions have to be longer
meet the sports technical requirements. With foam layers,
shock pads or e-layers directly under the artificial turf
probably that durability and cushioning
the best are guaranteed, also in the long term.
In recent years, too much has been done about artificial grass fibers
been doing. In the past, fibrillated artificial grass fibers were used in almost all artificial turf mats. Benefit
this is that this makes the scatter layer good
retained, the disadvantage is that these fibers over time
from lying down and splitting from time to time. Sit nowadays
in many artificial turf mats only monofilament
artificial grass fibers. The advantage of this is that this fiber
(depending on the quality) stays upright longer,
the disadvantage is that the infill layer becomes less good
covered. In some products, a combination of
used these two fibers. Pictures below
give a good picture of the two types of synthetic turf fiber.

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 29 Mar 2020, 18:26

In recent years, suppliers have several
developed yarn types that remain upright
which keeps the ball rolling longer. Through the
using more colors of green is the artificial grass
look more natural.
There have been looking for cost savings since 2012
constructions without sand infill and pressure distributing
geotextile.
The aforementioned developments have led to a
new generation of synthetic turf pitches (since 2006). The
This is structured as follows:
• Artificial turf, consisting of polyethylene yarns
(monofilament or a combination of monofilament
and fibrillated with a broadcast layer). A shock pad
can increase the fiber length and thickness of the screed layer
limit. The length of the fiber is ten
at least 40 mm. The artificial turf is often sprinkled with special sand and rubber granulate
ground car tires, cork, geo-infill or plastic with
the properties of rubber (TPE).
• Pressure-distributing geotextile (sometimes omitted).
• Shockpad, e-layer or foam layer. This layer ensures
high damping or shock absorption, which goes to all
probability for a longer period of time
are guaranteed.
• Sports technical layer. The "hard" sports technical
layers are standard and consist of lava, sand /
lava mixture, concrete, asphalt, boiler sand, crushed stone and
many other species.
• Sand substructure with an intensive drainage system.
The developments still follow each other in high
pace up. It is expected that this will occur in the coming
years.

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 29 Mar 2020, 18:36

Must tell you that the text above was translated by Google translate !

OK , now my opinion as a referee who is still a ref at this moment : I like grass roots pitches but when I see the field of the Yeltz and the amount of matches that have been played in 1 season . :-X
I think you have more satisfaction from a super modern state-of-the-art artificial grass field.
I can regularly whistle my matches on these types of fields and it is going great. I must add that I never played football on this myself. I even think that these fields will promote the Yeltz game and make them play even better! But that is MY personal opinion.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Mar 2020, 18:40

Those three posts are certainly concise! Probably the longest answer ever on here! Interesting though I have to say. The trouble will always remain though that these cheaper artificial surfaces are still light years away from the 'semi' artificial pitches used at the highest levels, so the football that can be played on them will always be dire to watch.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Mar 2020, 18:47

I believe Tottenham now have the best of both worlds. Their 3 section retractable 'grass' pitch can be rolled away to reveal an artificial pitch underneath.
We'll have to ask Karen. ;D
Last edited by andy on 29 Mar 2020, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 29 Mar 2020, 18:57

Ofcourse you have to go for the best pitch !

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 29 Mar 2020, 18:59

[/quProbably the longest answer ever on here! Interesting though I have to say.] Something to read in these days with no footy ^-^

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Mar 2020, 19:24

Dutchreferee wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 18:59
[/quProbably the longest answer ever on here! Interesting though I have to say.] Something to read in these days with no footy ^-^
It's strange. In the summer I don't miss football at all. I just love the summer. Now though, no football is like torture!

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 29 Mar 2020, 20:29

andy wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 18:40
Those three posts are certainly concise! Probably the longest answer ever on here! Interesting though I have to say. The trouble will always remain though that these cheaper artificial surfaces are still light years away from the 'semi' artificial pitches used at the highest levels, so the football that can be played on them will always be dire to watch.
The only thought worse than Covid for me at the moment is the realisation that I will have to endure another game at Bedworth with the ball bouncing high enough to hit planes and skidding off the pitch at the speed of an exorcet missile ::)