Optimistic for the season ahead?

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Optimistic for the season ahead?

Post by RobYeltz » 30 Jul 2013, 23:07

As I've mentioned before on here, I'm relatively new to this non league football so my supporting of Halesowen is obviously a lot newer than most on here and for those who go home and away every week. I've been to most games at the Grove since February and seen us in the friendlies against Walsall, Tividale and tonight Causeway.
I've popped down to the club to help out on a Thursday two or three times to try and get a feel for the club as much as anything as well and the one thing that strikes me is how positive things seem to be both on and off the field. The revamp of 'The Shed' looks brilliant, and most importantly I think we look stronger on the pitch. Obviously Ben resigning has been the icing on the cake but the gaffer has bought in players who appear to have strengthened the squad all around.
We look to have very adequate goalkeeping cover for Evo and in defence Kristian Green looks very assured alongside Dan Parker, Meach and Brendon. I thought Gavin Winsper was excellent tonight too in the first half.
In midfield, Macca's experience is obvious and he just sits and does the simple things well. I like the fact that the gaffer has players who look comfortable in a number of positions and look comfortable in them too.
Up front I like the look of Kyle Brady, I think he'll make use of the space he gets from defenders watching Ben.
As for the attendances, tonight was another good crowd, let's hope they can continue to grow and things can continue to move forwards. I think the squad is stronger, what do you veterans think?
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Optimistic for the season ahead?

Post by JohnC » 31 Jul 2013, 06:23

I can't comment on the new players as for various reasons my first match this season will be Saturday against Sourbridge.

Based on last season performances under the new managemet when they had settled in (other than blip March time some down to officials sending off incorectly) and the fact Ben has signed and what I have read and pictures I have seen this season must be our season.

Also as a lot of us are getting older we deserve some sucess. In my rekindled 10 year spell of following we have had the promotion play off match against Team Bath (we were robbed and they dropped out of higher leagues two seasons after as an Educational funded team) and the FA Cup first round at Yeading. Time for MORE.

However, even during some of the low points the friendship of the fans (some names known \ others nods in passing or hello) has been fantastic. That's what makes non league great as well as the football.

HOWEVER, the players who are put out need to carry on the spirit of last year give 100% of their ability and the management need to continue the good work they did last season. As only during the 90 minute games on the grass can anything really be won.

I for one will be providing my ususal support for our team, occasional critiscm of the officials and banter with the opposition players in particular their keepers.

See you Saturday when back from the Canaries ;)

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 31 Jul 2013, 11:36

I'm a new user on here, last night was the first time I went to the Grove in a fair few months so I'm also relatively new (I've always gone but not as often as I'd like too). I plan on attending quite regular this year because for the first time since I can remember I haven't renewed my Albion season ticket. Getting a bit annoyed, frustrated and genuinely fed up of professional football (nothing wrong with Albion, if any Albion fans on here think I'm moaning). So thought it would be nice to pick and chose my Albion games and visit the local club more regular.

I've got to say I was quite impressed with Halesowen last night. Especially with the second half. First half for me, there was a bit too many long balls being played and it was all a bit scrappy.

Second half it seemed to me that the ball was played on the floor a lot more and some great stuff was played. One quick counter attack, down the right hand side, late on in the second half should have got Ben Haseley his hat-rick, cracking football and that move deserved a goal.

The front two of Brady and Haseley really impressed me. When these two get to know each others game better they will be a real hand full. Brady was unlucky not to score last night, but looks really sharp.

Ben Haseley scored a couple of great goals. The second was a lovely finish. First time I've seen him, can see why he's got such an incredible record. Such a quality player.

Really enjoyed last night, looking forward to the first home game on the 20th August. There does seem to be an air of Positivity about the Yeltz at the moment.

YeltzRob
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzRob » 31 Jul 2013, 12:38

My first pre-season match this time round and was surprised at the number of long balls being played in the first half. I guess it's a pre-season match so might have been trying out tactics but hope it doesn't get used too much. I remember these tactics got the last boss the sack last season. Causeway on the otherhand played some nice football through midfield. Good luck to them.

Much more positively I was mighty impressed with Tom Tonks at number 7, he delivered some excellent crosses, particularly in the 2nd half; Kristian Green looked very composed on the ball. These two could make our right side very attack minded and seem to understand each others games well already. Kyle Brady up front too, is there a blade of grass he didn't touch. Not forgetting Golden Boot Ben up front, the second goal, great build up great finish.

All in all things are looking good!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 31 Jul 2013, 20:34

There's definitely plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the coming season with the Mighty Yeltz. It's really positive to see season ticket holders of other clubs deciding to come on down, hopefully there's still more to come, and the performances on the pitch will vindicate this.

In terms of the team, I think you'd be perfectly happy with the starting eleven from last night. But I do think there'll be a place for Griffiths on his return, and we maybe need to see some more from Lait in an attacking capacity, particularly if McKenzie is going to sit back. Agree with YeltzRob on Tonks though- he's looked very handy in preseason and will challenge for a first team spot in a few positions.

So, in answer to the title question- yes, very optimistic. ;D