Help Regarding Derby

Anything else goes in here...
Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Help Regarding Derby

Post by Westyeltz » 24 Feb 2012, 19:29

Over the last few weeks I have found myself working in Derby.

So what I hear you cry. Or should that be a shout of 'serves you right you fat b*****rd' :)

Now, I've been to some grim places in my time - Swansea, Stourbr*dge, Slough, etc, but all of these have something going for them. But, Derby !!

A year or two back we had a contingent of Blackpool and Derby replica shirt wearing people. Not sure why. What is the attraction of Derby? At least Blackpool has a beach, a tower and, until very recently, Frank Carson on the North Pier

Could someone please enlighten me as to anything good about Derby? Please!!

ZeeZee
Global Moderator

Re: Help Regarding Derby

Post by ZeeZee » 24 Feb 2012, 21:16

We have had in the past & currently have Yeltz Youth at Derby Uni, so they may be able to enlighten your good self.

Just a few things to start you off though, there is a miniture railway around the park next to the A38 (careful you don't fall off it), there is a Goods Vehicle testing station, a farm foods, a train factory, a nice footbridge over the A38 that leads to the Uni (careful you don't fall off it).

On the brighter side, there is a good pub next to the railway station, (think it is called the station but cant be sure as I got totally rat arsed on the way to the Monsters of Rock at Donnington), nearby is Spondon famous for its one off motorcycle frames and Matlock, well known bikers watering hole.

CRH Yeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by CRH Yeltz » 24 Feb 2012, 22:04

I've worked for a company on Pride Park for the last 4 years, commuting up from Halesowen every day. You can see Derby County's ground from the window by my desk so the blinds stay shut!

The Westfield is like a miniture version of Merry Hell but on the plus side the Assembly Rooms is still a decent music venue and the Quad is worth a visit if there's something on you like the look of. Quite a few good real ale pubs in the town as well.

The best bit of Derby though, the A38 south in the evening. It means I'm on my way home.

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 25 Feb 2012, 09:14

I've heard there's a pub there by a bridge and it serves cheese with it's real ales.

That is all.
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

misterbates
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by misterbates » 27 Feb 2012, 12:58

(like Cholera) It's better than Manchester.

Simmo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simmo » 27 Feb 2012, 19:07

Westyeltz wrote:Over the last few weeks I have found myself working in Derby.

So what I hear you cry. Or should that be a shout of 'serves you right you fat b*****rd' :)

Now, I've been to some grim places in my time - Swansea, Stourbr*dge, Slough, etc, but all of these have something going for them. But, Derby !!

A year or two back we had a contingent of Blackpool and Derby replica shirt wearing people. Not sure why. What is the attraction of Derby? At least Blackpool has a beach, a tower and, until very recently, Frank Carson on the North Pier

Could someone please enlighten me as to anything good about Derby? Please!!
Now listen here young man,thats my home town you're talking about!!!!

I'll have you know DCFC are the best team in Derbyshire,especially when Chesterfield are playing away.

There are also many famous folk who were dragged up in Derby,amongst them Florence Nightingale who loved the town that much she moved to the Crimea for some fresh air.

There was also Thomas Cook of travel agency fame(born 1808) who was so in love with his home town that he and his descendants are helping people leave to this day.

My uncle runs a pub in Derby where strangers will feel totally unthreatened by the regulars at the bar although this is down to the fact they will have already been severely beaten between the taxi and the front door.

And if anyone does'nt believe me ;)

On a serious note,try The Old Silk Mill,Ye Olde Dolphin Inn and The Flowerpot.All cracking boozers if ya like a real ale or six.

RichardG
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RichardG » 29 Feb 2012, 11:51

Simmo, I used to live in Nottingham years ago and agree whole-heartedly with your pub choice! To it I would add The Brunswick and The Alexandra on Railway Terrace and Siddals Road... hmmm......