Corby Town.

Anything else goes in here...
KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Corby Town.

Post by KenR » 01 Jan 2024, 12:26

I know that it will sadden some, but not many Yeltzers, to hear that Corby are in financial difficulties after a statement, on old years night, from two directors of the club, that they are losing £14,000 a month. I feel sympathy for their wonderful supporters - not.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Corby Town.

Post by old git » 01 Jan 2024, 12:54

KenR wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 12:26
I know that it will sadden some, but not many Yeltzers, to hear that Corby are in financial difficulties after a statement, on old years night, from two directors of the club, that they are losing £ 14, 000 a month. I feel sympathy for their wonderful supporters - not.
😂😂😂

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 01 Jan 2024, 14:17

We all feel for the "non-league family" and there-but-for-the-grace-of-Geoff-Moss and all that but....

From their statement it looks that they budgeted at best, optimistically, and at worst, negligently / suicidally. And, with fingers firmly jammed in lugholes, didn't re-budget and cut when it was obvious that they were wrong. Chuck in their backers' pockets running thin and there you go (to the Northants Senior League).

Is it any worse than deliberate shysters and convicted fraudsters coming in? In some ways, yes. Because it operates under a mask of decency and philanthropy, and then their centre-forward, who they can't afford (hello NunBo 👋🏻), bangs one in against you. Does tend to stick in one's craw...

Usually at this stage, a heart-string tug is rolled out on behalf of the, "loyal supporters", and, "club stalwarts" but given the (accurate) reputation that our pseudo-Caledonian brethren have, and the fact that the club have historically been seen to, if not actively support their "abrasiveness", certainly not overly condemn it, I'm finding it hard to muster a tear.

No doubt they'll survive, and the local community will rally around and drag them out of the muck, which of course, because of their undoubtedly unrivaled youth set-up, over-70s walking beach futsal group and the fact that they’re all kind to small, fluffy animals and love their mums, is a good thing.

But sometimes, to misquote the wonderfully monikered Austrian economist, Joseph Schumpeter, not only does "Capitalism Kill Creativity" but it also kills other things that begin with "C".
(I mean "Corby", obviously...)

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 01 Jan 2024, 14:20

It’s all very exciting down there lately
https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... ea-4436575
In his statement, Mr Noble did not address the reasons why Shephard was allowed to purchase a stake in the clubhouse earlier this year making him part-owner of the business with director Paul Glass