Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Anything else goes in here...
swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Post by swipey » 02 Feb 2012, 16:17

YeltzDoc wrote:
swipey wrote:* 3-3 home draw, including a penalty and an overhead kick from a guy whom I remember resembled a lanky-kind-of Dave Bennett and the crowd cheering so loudly every time Sean Flynn touched the ball they almost levitated - anyone know of the game I'm on about?

Oooh, ooh, me Sir, me Sir!

Barry Town, 3-3, 'twas Paul Hunter at the Old Hawne Lane End.

Chas?
Actually, that rings such a familiar bell I've looked it up and I'm certain you're right which to be frank is simply astonishing :o

For some odd reason (ensue waffle, which is what forums are for), I seem to remember my mate complimenting me on my mustard-coloured hooded top with a paisley design on it (which I thought back then was very fashionable, and he must have been a very good friend indeed!) and the year 1990 seems more appropriate with that fashion faux pas rather than my hazy recollection of 1988... well, I'm blaming the many Continental Lagers I've had since then for my poor memory, and I'm sticking to it :P

Where was I? Oh yeah, also remember the Yeltz playing that day being haywire, flamboyant, lucky, unlucky and brave... think Barry Town had a player sent off too?
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 02 Feb 2012, 16:26

The only thing that I remember is the overhead kick, it was like an "upside-down tap-in" with a cross from the Town side and PH's foot being almost level with the crossbar a couple of yards out.

Thank goodness it's not on YouTube as I'm sure we'd both be miles off, with it actually being a bobble off his arse...

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 02 Feb 2012, 16:43

YeltzDoc wrote:Thank goodness it's not on YouTube as I'm sure we'd both be miles off, with it actually being a bobble off his arse...
Indeed, although it's quite a shame as I hold you personally responsible now that you've broken the dam on what I thought was an addled brain, one thing come to my mind:

It was the very first time I'd seen a bunch of men together very drunk without arguing (HTFC fans of course)and I remember one chappie being very vocal who in my mind's eye was the spit of Eric from Brush Strokes; Barry Town go 2-3 up, the ball shortly after goes into the crowd and 'Eric' hides the ball by stealthily concealing it under his bomber jacket, much to our players' bemusement.
Not long after, the Barry Town supporters (all 20 of them) start chanting "You're Not Singing Anymore", finish their taunt, a tumbleweed drifts by (artistic licence) and then 'Eric' shouts out, "because we're p#ssed!"... even the players on the pitch are laughing ;D

YeltzDoc, if you knew who 'Eric' was , I'll drive oop north meself and pick you up and drive you back down to The Grove. If 'Eric' turns out to be you... I may purchase you a Real Ale for having such a dramatic effect on my teenage years ;)

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 02 Feb 2012, 17:39

This is the match:
17-Mar-90 BARRY H 1,059 3 3 CLARKE PENN EDWARDS SMITH E TOWNSEND RHODES HAZLEWOOD# FLYNN JOINSON L JOINSON P* FARMER HUNTER* PRICE
Swipey's reference to "Dave Bennett" suggests he's got on his mind Frankie Bennett, who arrived at The Grove the following season, got transferred to Southampton 3 seasons later and earned us an occasional mention by Barry Davis on Match of the Day.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 02 Feb 2012, 17:50

Over 1,000 for a league match...

Anyway, "Eric" wasn't me - a bit early for my p155ed up antics, 3-4 years later and most stories of drunken idiocy, fancy-dress, innapropriate micturition, throwing Big Rich into a fountain etc will feature some of the Jolly Boys and yours truly.

As to who it was, not sure.

For once I'll finish not with Chas? but Westy?

He's bound to know.

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 02 Feb 2012, 20:11

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote: Swipey's reference to "Dave Bennett" suggests he's got on his mind Frankie Bennett, who arrived at The Grove the following season, got transferred to Southampton 3 seasons later and earned us an occasional mention by Barry Davis on Match of the Day.
You may well be right, but I'm sure I distinctly remember a tall black lad with a Dave Bennett perm-special O0 (been looking for an excuse to use that smiley) who was quite exciting whenever he got the ball.

On another note, this forum is like a defibrillator on my memories of HTFC and (defo pre-1988) my ex-next door neighbour was a complete HTFC-nut who took me to a few games and got me starstruck because he knew the players - a big thing for me because they played on a pitch with stands and floodlights and everythin' - and it's made me wonder if any of you guys and gals may know him. After a bit of research which involved a 2 minute phonecall to my mom, he did used to play in goal for a team therefore I maybe putting 2 & 2 together and making eleventeen presuming he played for HTFC .

HIs name was Steve with a weird surname that began with an 'S', tall fella with a moustache and missing front tooth (that he told me he lost colliding with a player/goalpost) and he lived in Hurst Green in the late 80's with a little missus named Sonia...

...totally random I know, but if the members on here can come up with the team line-up and attendance figures for a game 22 years ago, it wouldn't surprise me if mysterious Steve who lived in Quinton is known - or may be indeed one of you members, here's hoping :-\

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 02 Feb 2012, 21:10

swipey wrote:
Laurel Lane Lamper wrote: Swipey's reference to "Dave Bennett" suggests he's got on his mind Frankie Bennett, who arrived at The Grove the following season, got transferred to Southampton 3 seasons later and earned us an occasional mention by Barry Davis on Match of the Day.
You may well be right, but I'm sure I distinctly remember a tall black lad with a Dave Bennett perm-special O0 (been looking for an excuse to use that smiley) who was quite exciting whenever he got the ball.
Was this Sylvester Cunningham, our centre forward 1987/88?
I'm struggling with Steve ? the goalie.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 03 Feb 2012, 11:10

YeltzDoc wrote:Over 1,000 for a league match...

Anyway, "Eric" wasn't me - a bit early for my p155ed up antics, 3-4 years later and most stories of drunken idiocy, fancy-dress, innapropriate micturition, throwing Big Rich into a fountain etc will feature some of the Jolly Boys and yours truly.

As to who it was, not sure.

For once I'll finish not with Chas? but Westy?

He's bound to know.
Looking at the hairstyle, I feel it possible to eliminate Kev Hackett from the enquiries :)

Was it Fiona?

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 03 Feb 2012, 12:02

If Swipey had said Elmo from Brushstrokes, the answer would have been much easier - Grant.

"Chisel".

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 09 Feb 2012, 17:52

Really looking forward to the Abingdon game on Saturday, weather permitting. I'll also be having a steady pint in the Waggon & Osses beforehand and I'd like members to say hello. Although I don't look like Disco Stu from the Simpsons --> details at a later date, although I won't be wearing a white carnation on Old Hill train station platform...