Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Anything else goes in here...
swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Post by swipey » 31 Jan 2012, 14:50

Bear with me here, and tell me if I'm on the wrong forum...

I moved from Quinton in 2001 to the lofty heights of Four Oaks In Sutton Coldfield, yet recently moved "back to me roots", albeit Oldbury ;D

Thing is, I went to a few Yeltz games when I was at school (around 1986-88) but got drawn by the not-so-glamorous-back-then Tilton End at Saint Andrews 5 years later on. I've got kids now, and my in-laws insist on dressing them in Baggies gear, much to my chagrin.

I've had the idea of indeed going "back to me roots" and taking the nipper to The Grove yet have only gleaned info of Wikipedia and I know nothing of the club, other than it feels right to go there on a Saturday afternoon as it's my local.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated or if you know of links that may be of more use to me, please enlighten me 8)
What I will say after having a quick browse of this forum is that it looks like an interesting place and I wouldn't mind being a part of the community (and my knowledge of non-league footy going up a notch or two ;) )

Thanks in advance ;D
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Post by YeltzDoc » 31 Jan 2012, 19:14

swipey wrote:Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated
Try and bring 300 mates with you...

If it's reasoned debate and a lightning fast score update service that you're after, then you're in the right place, well, sort of.

Pull up a chair and have a look round, the natives are pretty friendly but don't get Scouse wet or feed ZeeZee after midnight.

The (mostly) official club website will have a lot of accurate info on it and indispensible data on who our second choice left back was in the 1962/63 season. Chas?

The Grove is a bit quiet at the moment and we're not that good but we're clawing our way back after a few, erm, intersting years (just Google Morrel M**s*n, Guy Simpson and even Guy Cooper to find out about some of the more colourful characters that the Yeltz faithful have had to endure over the last few years.)

But we're heading back in the right direction and you can say to your great-grandkids that you were there for the rebirth of the 2032 Inter-Galactic Cup Winners and Worcestershire Senior Cup Runners-up.

Now we've got you, you'll never leave...

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 31 Jan 2012, 21:52

YeltzDoc wrote:
swipey wrote:Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

The (mostly) official club website will have a lot of accurate info on it and indispensible data on who our second choice left back was in the 1962/63 season. Chas?
That's a good one actually Doc....A true Yeltz stalwart Gordon Field (329 appearances) played all but 2 of our 41 matches in 1962/63. If you don't remember Gordon, I expect his son Steve will ring a bell, he was given the impossible task of replacing Dean Spink. Gordon's other son, Chris, also played for us a few seasons later.
So, the second choice left back that season was a K Wilson who played 1 game and Derek Hall (125 appearances) crossed over from right back for the other game......you can go back to sleep now ;)

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 31 Jan 2012, 22:03

Absolutely top drawer LLL.

Swipey - see what you've let yourself in for?

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 31 Jan 2012, 22:09

Yes, it's not much encouragement is it? I apologise ;)

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 31 Jan 2012, 22:26

;)

I'm not quite sure of the chronology, but wasn't Calvin Guest supposed to be the new Dean Spink?

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 31 Jan 2012, 23:00

Steve Field had first crack at it at the start of season 1989/90, our promotion to Sth Prem season. After only 1 goal in 11 starts he was replaced by Paul Hunter to join the Joinsons (this was Paul's 49 goals season), Malcolm Hazelwood & Sean Flynn in scoring 104 goals between them. Calvin Guest came along in 1992/93.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 31 Jan 2012, 23:07

*applauds*

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 01 Feb 2012, 08:29

YeltzDoc wrote:

Swipey - see what you've let yourself in for?
Bring it on I say, the more info I get the better 8)

Thanks for the welcome, tbh I was a bit worried because I discovered after reading a few threads that you lot - and this is a compliment - are flippin' hardcore ;D

I am seriously thinking about going up there though and have lots of questions (parking, matchday prices, fixtures, pies/caviar selction, etc.) but I'll find that out for myself rather than adding to my considerable weight sat behind a PC expecting this forum to answer my lazy questions... and that's half the fun finding stuff out (and then moaning about it), isn't it?

I've done a fair bit of research (as the internet will allow, off to Long Lane library tomorrow) and found myself laughing out loud at this site !!!

Alas, my eldest (11) has crossed to the dark (blue & white striped) side with a season ticket courtesy of the in-laws but there's hope yet - other nipper's 2 and another 'un on the way so although bringing 300 mates is just beyond my reach and the kids are a bit too young, another one bod to The Grove will surely fill the coffers to get Mr. Zigic on loan and up that blooming pyramid league system fingy :P

Waggon & 'Osses best place for pre-match sup still?
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 01 Feb 2012, 12:38

swipey wrote: I've done a fair bit of research (as the internet will allow, off to Long Lane library tomorrow) and found myself laughing out loud at this site !!!
We'll have to increase our bandwidth to get Poll's head on here after compliments like that.
swipey wrote: Waggon & 'Osses best place for pre-match sup still?
The best pub not only in Halesowen, but in the whole wide world...

The Yeltz Bar by the ground on Old Hawne Lane will gladly take your money off you as well mind, and you can mingle with the players and other, "like minded individuals" in there at half time, full time, anytime.