Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Anything else goes in here...
swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Yeltz Newbie & A Bit Of An Intro...

Post by swipey » 12 Feb 2012, 10:29

swipey wrote:
Laurel Lane Lamper wrote: Swipey's reference to "Dave Bennett" suggests he's got on his mind Frankie Bennett, who arrived at The Grove the following season, got transferred to Southampton 3 seasons later and earned us an occasional mention by Barry Davis on Match of the Day.
You may well be right, but I'm sure I distinctly remember a tall black lad with a Dave Bennett perm-special O0 (been looking for an excuse to use that smiley) who was quite exciting whenever he got the ball.

On another note, this forum is like a defibrillator on my memories of HTFC and (defo pre-1988) my ex-next door neighbour was a complete HTFC-nut who took me to a few games and got me starstruck because he knew the players - a big thing for me because they played on a pitch with stands and floodlights and everythin' - and it's made me wonder if any of you guys and gals may know him. After a bit of research which involved a 2 minute phonecall to my mom, he did used to play in goal for a team therefore I maybe putting 2 & 2 together and making eleventeen presuming he played for HTFC .

HIs name was Steve with a weird surname that began with an 'S', tall fella with a moustache and missing front tooth (that he told me he lost colliding with a player/goalpost) and he lived in Hurst Green in the late 80's with a little missus named Sonia...

...totally random I know, but if the members on here can come up with the team line-up and attendance figures for a game 22 years ago, it wouldn't surprise me if mysterious Steve who lived in Quinton is known - or may be indeed one of you members, here's hoping :-\
Just to finish this up - I've found out his name was Steve Allcock. Anyone?
follow trend #uptheyeltz & #cheesewivmayo on Twitter!

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 12 Feb 2012, 18:32

Yup! I know him. Really, Brother Cooper I do!

Bit of a rush at the moment but will provide more shortly.

Westy

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 12 Feb 2012, 18:48

I knew that you'd know.

Swipey, you'll learn that Westy knows absolutely everybody.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 12 Feb 2012, 22:46

Swipey,

I believe the bloke your on about is Steve Allcock (aka Kai, from his connection with Halesowen Scout Group).
His Dad was Tony, also involved with the Scouts. I played football with / against him a few times.
He did indeed play in goal, and his wife was named Sonia (nee Layton), and also had a frontal dental problem. Kai, not Sonia - although I'm not a dentist and cannot speak for his Missus :)

However I don't recall him being particularly tall, but he did have a slug on his upper lip.

Many other Tayterballies within Halesowen would know him I'm sure - he was a decent bloke (and hopefully still is), though I've not seen him in years.

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 13 Feb 2012, 09:23

Westy, you're a legend.

Although in hindsight it may be obvious that he was well known amongst the Yeltz fans, just you guys & gals knowing my ex-next door neighbour is very surreal and shows what a small world it is!

Steve and Sonia were brilliant and although they didn't have kids they had probably the biggest Doberman in history called Mia, yet I recall with fondness that they were superb with my younger sister and I.

Steve was pleased as punch when he found out I'd made goalie for the school team and was always encouraging me, doing a little bit of training in our back gardens and giving me an endless supply of footballs to keep. I remember now when we went to a Yeltz game telling me to keep an eye on our keeper to watch his positioning.

He moved out from Hurst Green around 1988 and I was deeply upset as not only was Steve the best bloke in the world (apart from my Dad), but I sort of fancied Sonia too :D

He popped back round our house a year later with one of them homeware franchise things and we never heard off them after that...

...currently awaiting a text from my mom to see where they moved to.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 14 Feb 2012, 08:59

They moved to a house on Alexandra Rd opposite The Huntingtree pub and I think they had two kids - both boys.
Unfortunatly, I believe they split up, and after that I know nothing else.

The reason I know this is I used to work with Sonia's Dad, although I knew Steve from days in Scouts.

swipey
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by swipey » 14 Feb 2012, 11:28

Yeah, my mom told me they moved out by Windsor High School... shame about them splitting up :(

Anyway, I'm orf to spend a romantic evening without my wife tonight at The Grove for the friendly; any of you guys & gals going?

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 14 Feb 2012, 14:55

Unfortunately I wont be there. Work commitments tonight. >:(